How to interpret a *progressed* Saturn 'return'?

RohanMenon

I just noticed that Saturn (which was retrograde when I was born) returned to its position in the *secondary progressed chart* a week ago. So a kind of 'progressed Saturn return' (sorry if the terminology is not right, newbie here)

Any suggestions on how to interpret this? Being a newbie, I am a little thrown by the fact that this 'return' is occurring in the progressed chart. Google searches don't yield much. Fwiw, I haven't noticed any effects yet.

A normal (i.e transiting) Saturn return has a 'standard' interpretation, but how does one interpret such a development in the progressed chart? Or maybe this isn't significant at all?
Any experienced astrologers reading this, please enlighten me on how to interpret this!

CosmicBeing

have to see where progressed saturn falls in progressed chart and in natal chart...there is composite/synastry chart on astro.com that if you save the progressed chart you can then see the overlap.

Moon & Sun are the next important. See the astrological sign they are in and house they are in in the progressed chart. Then see where the progressed moon and sun land in the natal chart.

Saturn is a planet of delays, hardships, management, organization, it teaches us what we are not handling properly. It even forcefully make us re-examine certain aspects of our life.

CosmicBeing

Progressed Saturn also shows our 1st stage of development. This is usually around age 28.

There is some saying (unless chart says otherwise) that we usually don't get married until after our first solar return.

2nd solar return I believe is the retirement one.

3rd solar return I believe is usually the end of our life.

It's the planet that slaps reality and responsibility. Makes us truly see our life and where it is at.

http://astrology.about.com/od/advancedastrology/p/Saturn.htm

http://www.elizabethspring.com/Saturn_Return.html

Some articles.

Minderwiz

Secondary Progressions are based on one day of movement being taken symbolically as one year. To get such an event you need to be born within about forty days of a Station (Direct in this case, but the same event could occur with Saturn being direct at birth but stationing retrograde very soon.)

In your case we would be looking more like 20/21 days by very rough estimate. I looked up the Station Direct of that year and it was January 30, 19 days after your birth (GMT).

Does this rather rare happening have any interpretation: none that I know of. Virtually all users of progressed planets only bother with the Moon out to Mars. Jupiter and Saturn move so slowly that it's not likely they could be used for timing events through aspect (though they are certainly active through Primary Directions).

I think you would have some arguments that as the directions are different in the two positions, it's not a 'true' return. Have a look though to see if the time it's in the same degree or the following degree, produces any event.

CosmicBeing

Saturn transits are considered Saturn returns right?

Progressed saturn to natal saturn is a different 'argument', correct?

Minderwiz

Saturn transits are considered Saturn returns right?

No, except only Saturn's transit of its natal position. Transiting Saturn is 'real time' Saturn, moving around the zodiac. During the course of that process it will Transit the natal positions of other planets, cusps and points and it will also aspect natal planetary positions. Only when it transits it's own natal position can we call it a Saturn Return.

CosmicBeing said:
Progressed saturn to natal saturn is a different 'argument', correct?

Correct! Progressed Saturn can actually mean a variety of things depending on what system of progression you use. Most Astrologers mean Secondary Progressed Saturn, which moves it's natal position forward one day for every year of life, i.e. in your 43 year Saturn has moved forward a further 42 days from it's natal position. The only way that it can return to it's natal position in that time is that it stationed either retrograde or direct and moved back (or forward) to it's natal position. The chances of this happening to someone are reasonably low as each day of movement, in both directions, takes up a year of life.

However if we forget the issue of progression and simply take the movements around a station, it's quite possible for someone to have their first Saturn Return (taking it literally as a return to the natal position) during their first year. That's the case with me, with Saturn being direct when I was born, turning retrograde six weeks later and then turning direct another eight months on. So before I was one, I'd had two Saturn transits of it's natal position.

But Saturn Return is a poor term. It's much better to use the term Saturn Revolution (the traditional term) because it explicitly requires Saturn to have completed a full revolution of the the Zodiac, And it's revolutions, rather than returns that matter. One can make a lot out of the Direct/Retrograde/Direct stations and they have an importance in Saturn's cycle with the Sun, but it's only when combined with the revolution that there is major significance. So unless RohanMenon has a major aspect from Saturn during those 20 days, I don't think there's much in terms of meaning in the progressions. Like Dave, I don't use them personally but many Astrologers do.

Barleywine

I haven't worked with secondary progressions in a long time, but I recall dealing with progressed Moon and transiting Saturn together (~28 year cycles). Beyond that, I looked at the other progressed planets only if they changed signs. I never got around to learning primary directions, but if I live long enough I may yet.

RohanMenon

Thank You MinderWiz

I couldn't find any interpretations on the web. Good to know it has no significance.
Cheers,