Dark Carnival Deck

magpie9

I'm delighted to say I don't like it...the last thing I need right now is A New Deck to Lust After!

rachelpaul

It certainly does appeal to a certain type...definitely not for those spooked by clowns

rachelpaul

I just saw this deck! It's great, I have to get it
Thanks for sharing!

as gregory said, it's for those with teeth ......... and bunnys certainly do have a set of chompers!

dreamingwitch

This is one of my favorite decks of 2012. It is excellent. The artwork is amazing and the book is hilarious. I highly recommend it!

Tarot Orat

This is one of my favorite decks of 2012. It is excellent. The artwork is amazing and the book is hilarious. I highly recommend it!

The book really is something....I was reading it last night as a preface to working with the deck as my DotW next week. It's fascinating to see the Tarot presented to a group of people in their own argot by someone who's both a member of the group, and a deeply insightful Tarot traveler herself. The language is strong and has a definite "insider" element but the glimpse I get of this tight-knit and unique community is as fascinating as the deck itself!

I definitely would warn the faint of heart that yes, the book drops a lot of slang and f-bombs, but she is talking to her peeps the way she'd talk to them about anything...and sometimes she'll write a gorgeously lyrical and deeply insightful passage just like you would see in the most traditional of Tarot books.

I'm going to do a pretty deep study of this deck and book, it deserves it and I think I need to go deep down this particular rabbit hole to really appreciate it!

rachelpaul

Thanks, Orat! I'm excited to see your feedback!

Tarot Orat

Been doing a few readings - two for myself, one for someone else in the DotW reading circle thread - WOW! These cards definitely have both literal and metaphorical teeth. And despite the intense freakiness they're also oddly comforting. Sure, the 9 of Axes (=Swords) is a green-skinned stitched-up zombie/bride of Frankenstein type of woman with dripping double-headed axes hanging over her, but that is one awfully sweet heart-and-flower-spangled bedspread they're dripping on...and the Tarot symbolism isn't always immediately apparent but it's there if I pay attention. The Temperance card, for instance, doesn't have a literal rainbow, but all the colors of the rainbow swirl, in order, around the card: flasks of red liquid on the right, a yellow lightbulb casting an orange glow at the top, flasks of green and blue liquid on the left, and a flask (and some spilled) purple liquid at the bottom. When I realized that it really WAS a rainbow, my mind was just a bit blown and I also felt like I was in very good hands!

Oh, here's a few lines from the book that sum up her writing style, I love this:

"Because nothing is for certain and tomorrow is not promised. There are greater forces at work in all things. And somehow, some way, amid all this great mystery, we as individuals are given the gift to control our own muthaf**kin' destiny."

F'in' awesome ;)

rachelpaul

thanks, Orat (which I just realized is "taro" backwards...how cool!)

most if not all cussin actually comes from rap lyrics from the different "dark carnival" artists that inspire the deck....not that there's TOO much of that. i tried to keep it tasteful and within reason, as this is a serious deck for serious collectors. (serious clown business, i suppose)

the passage you give in particular comes from a song called "crystal ball"....one of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkvMI-ywR1Y

Enjoy!