Tarot of the Spirit

GlitterNova

Through coincidence, I ended up not receiving the last deck I ordered a few weeks ago. I now see that this was actually a good thing, because just last night I discovered and ordered a deck that makes the other one pale in comparison--the Tarot of the Spirit by Pamela and Joyce Eakins. I rarely see something online (tarot or otherwise) that immediately makes me think 'yep, that's the one for me' but this deck is one of those things. This seems like a great deck for those who want to challenge and expand their knowledge of tarot. I'm also pretty amazed that this deck is over 20 years old and doesn't look at all dated.

The only reservation I have is because I didn't order the book with the deck, and I've heard that the book is just as good or even better than the deck itself. I only have a cursory knowledge of Kabbalah and the Thoth, so we'll see if I end up needing to purchase the book to understand the deck. I don't know if the deck itself comes with a LWB or not. TBH I'm not too concerned, though. I'm just excited to get it in my hands!

Sophia77

It really is a great deck- and I would strongly recommend getting the book with it. I'll be interested to see how you like it when it comes in.

earthair

After I bought mine (from Amazon) I read reviews saying the deck had been reprinted- does anyone know which version is currently showing on amazon.co.uk? I'd hate to get an old one if the new edition is much better.

Glitternova- I've always struggled to get comfy with Kabbalah and Thoth so I'm hoping the book will be enlightening! I'll let you know what it's like...

Sophia77

I've had both the old and reissued decks- no difference really. The new deck has a tree of life transparent card- but no other differences.

earthair

I'm hoping amazon.co.uk have listed the new one under the old date by mistake, using the new ISBN. Reviews on .com said the printing is massively improved?

Le Fanu

I have both printings. Just checked and the isbn is the same so that doesn't help. To be honest, it went OOP and then went through a very expensive phase - you know, those krazy amazon prices - before it came back in print in 2011. So you'd be very lucky (or unlucky, depending on your point of view) to get one of the 1992 versions.

Both are beautiful. I'm glad it came back in print. The 1992 version has that lovely Belgian cardstock but paler colours. The 2011 edition has more cardboardy cardstock - but still ok - and richer colours.

The book is very dense and quabbalistic. They obviously know their kabbalah very well - better than me - I just have to take their word for the spin they have, but I remember being slightly bothered by an undercurrent of New Agey healing love-vibes that seemed to percolate through. I took the book on holiday when the deck was reissued (found it cheap on amazon and was intrigued by the deck so I bought it as holiday reading) and felt a disappointment which I can't quite recapture now since so much time has lapsed. But there was something a bit messianic about the book - a feeling that this was a true interpretation of the tarot. Lots of talk of "energy" and "love" and "healing" and the "truth within". I remember my enthusiasm for the deck being abruptly stopped in its tracks. Maybe others enjoy that sort of touchy-feely vocabulary. It just made me gulp very hard.

"The Tarot of the Spirit demonstrates an awesome precision..." The Tarot of the Spirit is "unsurpassed" for travelling the spiritual path... <wince> Taken at random from the intro. Just some things that make me feel a little uncomfortable. The book is very full of how fabulous and mindblowing the deck is.

Maybe with hindsight, I'd have prefered to have stuck with the deck and taken it on my own terms. Nice artwork though, but perhaps not as groundbreaking and mindbending a deck as the creators want you to believe.

earthair

Thanks Le Fanu! Had a funny thought there about what would happen if Eakins rewrote BoT in her literary style :D or vice versa :bugeyed:

GlitterNova

Thanks for your honest opinion Le Fanu! Do you happen to remember if the deck came with a LWB? Also, would anyone be interested in a study group for this deck?