Going Professional

psychicbody

As regards advertising - I have never paid for advertising and as you can see from my site I have had in excess of 14 000 visitors since March 2004. My boutique on-line functions well. All I did was list my site with Google and also with a couple of UK business sites which offered to advertise my site for free if I linked in with them. I have now moved to France and am hitting the French market in the same way.
I suggest purchasing a domain. GoDaddy.com and NAMEcheap.com has the best deal for that. After I had registered my domain a couple years ago, my traffic shot up. When you do that, then go nuts with registering with search engines.

Phoenix Rising

Hi Danubhe

Good luck in your big step...Great stuff! Your friend is considering her own interests, so there's no reason why you shouldn't. You'll make more money with your own, and extra with hers as well, if you decide to do both. Never feel guilty about looking after yourself. You will be competing with members on here too, but we're all into sharing, as there's plenty space for everyone.

Many Blessings
PR

blackroseivy

Many thanx again!! Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've heard of CheapNames. Just need to find out a price! :D

blackroseivy

& also, why bother finding out about a license, only to be told it's illegal????? I know, I know, but I DON'T wanna be told that I cannot read for profit!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Umbrae

danubhe said:
& also, why bother finding out about a license, only to be told it's illegal????? I know, I know, but I DON'T wanna be told that I cannot read for profit!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
Well you may simply have to change the name of what you do…

In Seattle, you cannot be a Psychic. You can however ‘Read Tarot’, or do ‘Energy Readings’ (with Tarot). You simply cannot call yourself a psychic.

In St. Louis MO, I do believe that ‘fortune telling’ of any sort is illegal, however across the river it’s fine.

Where ‘fortune telling’ of any sort, or card reading, or anything else is illegal, many folks use the ULC, become a minister (or whatever), and also a ‘Spiritual Counselor’. I know one woman north of Seattle who has had her home declared a ‘Spiritual Lodge’. The Lodge is downstairs and in her backyard. She lives upstairs. She is essentially a church, and gets the tax benefits thereof.

Many municipalities don’t care what you do as long as you pay taxes on your income.

Also, internet sales from outside of your municipality may be exempt from some taxation.

Reading for cash only in the back of a bookstore, teahouse, or bar may allow you to skirt reportable income…(questionable behavior that I personally endorse – just don’t break the law…hee hee hee).

Remember - you're only breaking the law if you get caught. Bad people eventually get reported.:smoker:

blackroseivy

Nnow THAT was useful. Thanx, Umbrae!

My law-student sister found the pertinent statute, & it is, indeed, "fortune-telling" related. It's a hoot, it's so old-fashioned, the whole thing! She says I just have to put up a disclaimer & say, like you said, that it's part of my spiritual practice; I'll put that into my bio. Thanx again!!

urbandryad

I thought I might try to go professional too, several times I've thought of this in fact. I love doing tarot for myself, and my friends sometimes, but I need more spending money, and an income in fact. I could publish my tarot deck, maybe, but I doubt I'd sell enough decks to cover what I would have originally cost in making them if I self published, or professionally published and not have them sell well at all with all the initial costs. O_O So what do you think? I could work from home, obviously, and once I got my phone, I could do phone readings.

Which decks are the best for professional work? I know a few palmestry places here in town, but I prefer tarot, so thats what I'd probably do. ^^

Emeraldgirl

Congratulations Danubhe :D I have been thinking about going professional as well but I haven't worked up the courage yet. Deepest admiration for those who do :)

blackroseivy

Thus far, thus good - my rating as of now is a not-too-shabby 41/2 stars! :) I had one that was th very 1st one I did, it was in answer to the public board & I wasn't exactly on top of my game - it was 4;30 in the a.m.! :( I could have gone into more detail, I supposse, but I had almost nothing to go on at all, so they gave me ** & said that it was "very little info for the price" - which was $10!! Somehow, I think they were expecting a $35-40 reading for $10!! Anybody else agree?

At any rate, that one didn't count in my rating for some reason - I think they cut you some slack for the very 1st reading! Also, I've been accepted at "Readings On Demand", but I'm having trouble getting logged in so it's still on hold.

Ruthann

CT Law re "Fortune Tellers"

I had started a craft business that was going no where because people refused to pay for commissioned products so instead of giving up the business, and since I have been reading Tarot cards for 10 years to switch from crafts to Tarot Advising for which I do get paid.

CT law states "fortune tellers" must put "For Entertainment Purposes Only" on all their literature. I have that disclaimer in small font size.