English alphabet considerations...

Ravenswing

“Let us then walk in the right way, let us speak before God with heart and mouth alike opened, in our own maternal language, since how can you pretend to obtain any Grace from the Lord, if ye yourselves know not what ye ask? Yet, however, the number of those who lose themselves utterly in vanity is infinite; many say that the Grecian language is more agreeable to God, it may be true that it was perhaps at one time, but how many among us to-day understand it perfectly, this is the reason why it would be the most senseless thing to employ it.”

From “The Book of Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage” as translated by Mathers

The above quote was Abramelin’s reasoning for using Hebrew-- his maternal tongue-- as a sacred language rather than the Greek. For some reason, when establishing the form and rituals of the Golden Dawn, Mathers chose not to follow the example of Abramelin, retaining the Hebrew as sacred rather than using English.

So--English as a sacred language? Let consider this:

The trumps considered as two sets-- the Fool and the 21 numbered trumps.

The English alphabet considered as two sets-- the vowels and the 21 consonants.

The Fool and the vowels as identity principles.....

Some food for thought.

fly well
Raven

jmd

European mediaeval tradition of course acknowledges three alphabets: the Latin (Roman), the Greek, and the Hebrew. Hence 'AZOTh' - the first letter of each three, and the final in, respectively, the Latin (Z), the Greek (Omega), and the Hebrew (Tau).

The three are also detailed with regards to numerical value in Agrippa's Occult Philosophy.

So... how are we to value the letters we now currently use - and use everyday on this very Forum?!?

Rusty Neon

jmd said:
So... how are we to value the letters we now currently use - and use everyday on this very Forum?!?

Using the principles of Modern Numerology, à la Mrs. Dow Balliett, Florence Campbell, etc.?

Rusty Neon

Gematria: Valuing Letters of the English alphabet

Modern Numerologist Kevin Quinn Avery in his classic book _The Numbers of Life_ (at p. 240) suggests the following system of assigning values to English letters as an alternative to the standard valuing systems used for English letters by Modern Numerology. It's a system that Avery says "has been used by great success" by him. I haven't tested it. I present it here for completeness.

A 1
B 2
C 3
D 4
E 5
F 6
G 7
H 8
I 9

J 10
K 20
L 30
M 40
N 50
O 60
P 70
Q 80
R 90

S 100
T 200
U 400
V 400

W 500
Y 700
Z 800

Ravenswing

numeration considerations

Rusty--

Both of the numeration schemes you have presented have one thing in common-- the values of the letters are not unique.

Modern numerology runs around in cycles-- I do not see that it has been designed with the process of gematria in mind as it collapses all values.

The second one that you presented gives the same value for "U" and "V".

It's my belief that each letter should not share its value with another.

One thing to consider:

The gylphs of alphabets prior to arabic numerals were both letters and numbers. This may be why the values are decimally based-- ones, then tens, then hundreds.

This being the case, I've worked out a gematria where the value of a letter is the cardinal value of its ordinal position. As far as I know, this is the only association with numbers that we give to the alphabet.

And this corrospondence is the first "secret code" that most children learn.

fly well
Raven

Phoenix Rising

According to Linda Goodmans book "Star Signs" the correct numerological alphabet system is the Chaldean. They do not use the number 9. As the 9 is of completion and all things and the number of God, so they didn't want to assign any particular letter to it. It is the oldest form, and corresponds with the kabala and Tarot. The compound No's 10-22 corresponds perfectly with the major trumps.
And it makes perfect sense when you read the meanings.

1. A I J Y Q
2. B K R
3. C G L S
4. D M T
5. E N H X
6. U V W
7. O Z
8. F P

Ross G Caldwell

There is a group of Thelemites who take English as a sacred language very seriously, since The Book of the Law says "Thou shalt find the order & value of the English alphabet..."

In 1975 a series of workings resulted in a their new order for the alphabet -
ALWHSDOZKVGRCNYJUFQBMXITEP
(numbered 1-26)

This is the order of the alphabet taking every *11th* letter - i.e. A..........L...........W.............H.............S etc., so it appears very Thelemic.

The users of this alphabet claim very great success with it, at least in interpreting Thelemic Holy Books, and naturally they have developed trees of life, discovered things about the Tarot etc.

A group called the "Gnostic-Alchemical Church of Typhon-Christ" is more-or-less the official organ of this "English Qaballa" movement; their homepage is
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/7770/

Click on the left menu "English Qaballa FAQ" for more information.

Fulgour

Phoenix Rising said:
The compound No's 10-22 corresponds perfectly with the major trumps.
Hello Phoenix Rising,

Of all the areas that we find when exploring the depths
of Numerological systems, the Chaldean is the one that
seems to offer the most interesting "new" possibilities.

I corresponded with a gentleman from India who studied
the Cheiro* system, which he suggested also exempts 9,
but couldn't really find any books specifically on just that.

With the Chaldean system, I have heard that it is harsher
in some of its correspondences, more challenging perhaps
than simply churning out vibrations. I'd like to know more.

Could you provide more information about the compound
numbers, 10 through 22, and their relationship with Tarot?
Really, any further insights and sources would be welcome.

Sincerely,
Fulgour

*Count Louis Hamon

Phoenix Rising

Hi Fulgour

Yes I have read Cheiro's book, we've got it in our local library. And it is also in Linda Goodmans "Starsigns" She was taught by Guru's from Tibet. Information was identical. Although the only thing she didn't agree with Cheiro was he predicted the very day of people's death with it, and she didn't like the idea of him using this ancient knowledge in such a negative manner. I will get back with this info later on tonite. Although it might have to be a shortened version, but you will get what I mean. In fact the compound no's firstly identify describe the symbolism of the tarot.

Phoenix Rising

Chaldean Numerology associated with Tarot

Ok, Now these are the definitions of compound No's from 10-22 corresponds with the Tarot. Although there are also 1-9(Singular) and 23-52 Compound No's as well, we will just focus on the ones for the Major Arcana.
Also note that these No's represent the karmic lessons of the individual, they are derived from day of birth and the name. I will give a example after this.

Compound No's

10 - The Wheel of fortune
10 is symbolized by Isis and Osiris. A number of rise and fall, according to personal desire. The name will be known for good or evil, depending on the action chosen, 10 is capable of arousing the extreme responses of love or hate - respect or fear. There is no middle ground between honor or dishonor. Every event is self-determined. 10 is the symbol of LOVE and LIGHT, which will create all that can be imagined, and also contains the code: Image 10 Ordain. Image it, and it shall be. The power for manifesting creative concepts into reality is inherent, but must be used with wisdom, since the power for absolute creation contains the power for absolute destruction. Self-discipine and infinite compassion must accompany the gift of the former to avoid the tragedy of the latter. Discipline must precede Dominion. Unfortunately some 10 people fail to realise their power and potential, and consequently harbor deep-seated feelings of frustration, causing them to feel unfulfilled, and to occasionally behave in a somewhat proud and arrogant manner to cover such unnecessary feelings of inferiority.

11-A Lion Muzzled-A clenched Fist
This is a number of hidden trials and treachery from others. it represents members of the same or the opposite sex-or two opposed situations. In either case, compatibility of interest is lacking, and interference from a third force must be conquered. The difficulties may also arise from the illusion of separation. it's necessary to unite divided goals to avoid a sense of frustrated incompletion. The third, interfering force can be a person or an idea; and it can take the form of a refusal to see the other side as an obstacle to harmony. The origin of the separating force must be identified, an attempt made to seek compromise. Occasionally, conflicting desires within one's own self are seen as in a reflecting mirror. Two forces or two desires stnad apart and must ultimately unite for happiness. Yet, each must remain individual, even after being joined, for each possesses its own worth.

12-The Sacrifice-The Victim
One will be periodically be sacrificed for the plans or intrigues of others. It warns of the necessity to be alert to every situation, to beware of false flattery from those who use it to gain therir own ends. Be suspicious of those who offer a high positon, and carefully analyze the motive. A degree of mental anxiety, caused by the need to sacrifice personal goals to the ambition of others. 12 Also represents the educational process on all levels, the submission of the will required and the sacrifices necessary to achieve knowledge and wisdom, on both the spiritual and the intellectual levels. When the intellect is sacrificed to the feelings, the mind will be illuminated with the answers it seeks. Look within for the solution. Attention paid to the requirements of education will end suffering and bring success.
NB: Hanged Man and secondary was the Heirophant.

13 Regeneration-Change
13 is not a unlucky No. The ancients claimed that "he who understands how to use the number 13 will be given power and dominion" 13 is a number of upheaval, so that new ground may be broken. It's associated with power, which, if used for selfish purposes, will bring destruction upon itself. A warning of the unknown and unexpected. Adapting to change gracefully will bring out the strength of the 13 and decrease any potential for negative. 13 is associated with genius-also explorers, breaking the orthodox and new discoveries of all kinds.

14-Movement and Challenge
Magnectic communication with the public through writing, publishing and all media-related matters is assoc with the 14. Periodic changes in business and partnerships of all kinds are ususally beneficail. Dealing with speculative matters brings luck;likewise, movement and travel assoc with combinations of people and nations can be fortunate. however , both gains and losses are sometimes temporary, due to the strong currents of change which are ever-present. 14 warns of danger from accidents related to natural elements ie: fire, flood, earthquakes, tornados etc.(Not absolute merely a caution) There is a risk involved in depending on the word of those who misrepresent a situation. it's a mistake to rely on others. Rely on intuition, the self, the voice within. The "luck' of 14 includes money dealings and speculative projects, or "betting" but also loss due to wrong advice of others.[/i]

15-The Magician
15 is a number of deep esoteric significance, the alchemy vibration through which all magic is manifested. it's extremely lucky and carries the essence of enchantment with it. 15 assoc with good talkers, eloquence of speech, gifts of music, art and the drama. it bestows upon the person or entity a dramatic temperament and strong personal magnetism; a curiously compelling charisma. It is especially fortunate for obtaining money, gifts and favors from others, because of its powerful appeal to the altruistic nature of people. However, there are no roses without thorns, and the ancients warn that 15 rules the lower levels of occultism which it is associated with the single No 4 or 8. Such people will use every art or magic-even black magic, hypnosis, and mental suggestion to carry out their purpose. Or the contrary is true. The 4 or 8 person will become the victim of others using the same methods. So ones birthday or name adds up to 4 13 22 31 8 17 26 should take extra caution or change spelling of name.
15 is moste fortunate for those born on the 15th of any month and if there name also adds to a 15 they will be a light to the world.

16-The Shattered Citadel
16 is pictured by the ancients as "a tower struck by lightning from which a man is falling with a crown on his head" It warns of strange fatalities, also danger of accidents and the defeat of ones plans. If the name equals 16 the spelling should be changed to avoid this vibration. 16 brings with it the single no 7 obligation and responsiblity to listen to the voice within, which will always warn of danger through dreams or the intuition to avoid in time. The inner voice must not be ignored. President Lincoln had this number and did not listen to his dreams or other psychics and met his fate by assasination. He decided to look after the concerns of his country. So best to renounce fame and celebrity for a peaceful life instead.

17- The Star of the Magi
This is a highly spiritual No, and was expressed in symbolism by the ancient chaldeans as the 8 pointed star of Venus. A image of love and Peace, and promised that the person on entity it represents will rise superior in spirit to the trials and difficultied of earlier life, with the ability to conquer former failure to personal relationships and the career. 17 is the No of immortality and indicates that the person name will live after him. Only warning with this No is it reduces to the single No 8. And 4 and 8 have a fate stronger than all others.

18-Spiritual-Material Conflict
18 has the most difficult symbolism to translate the ancients describe it as a rayed moon from which drops of blood are falling into the mouths of a dog and wolf and a crab hastening to join them. The materialism striving to destroy the spiritual side of the nature. it often assoc the person or entity represented by it with bitter quarrels within the family circle- with wars, social ubheaval, and revolution. indicates making money or achieveing position through divisive tacts through war or other conflict. it warns of treacher and deception from both "friends" and enemies, and danger from the elements. Only way to diminish its effect on the life is by spiritual means, by unfailing and repeatedly meeting decept and hatred from others with generosity, love and forgives. by "turning the other cheek and returning good for evil. In this way, 18 may be used for great success in illumination and enlightenment.
This number is assoc with Jesus and your very own George W Bush.

19-The Prince of Heaven
19 is one of the most fortunate and favourable of all compound no's. It is symbolised by the Sun, and is called prince of Heaven because it indicates victory over all temporal failure and disappointment. It promises happiness and fulfillment-success in all ventures as wll as in the personal life.

20-Awakening
20 is pictured by the ancients as "The Judgment"At some time in the person or entities life they will experience a powerful awakening, bringing a new purpose, new plans, new ambitions- the call to action for some great cause or ideal. There may be occasional delays and obstacles ones plans, but these may be conquered through developing patience and by continually cultivating faith in ones own powers to transform. 20 brings the blessing of vivid precognitive dreams, plus the ability to manifest the happy ones and cancel the negative ones. Although not a material no, therefore is dubtful regarding financial success. This can be changed depending on other no's in the name or birthday.

21-Crown of the Magi
21 is pictured by "The universe". it promises general success, and guarantees advancement, honors, awards and general elevation in the life and career. victory after a long struggle and is only gained after long initiation, much soul testing and various others tests of determination. however, the person or entity blessed with 21 may be certain of final victory over all odds and all opposition. A number of karmic reward.

22-Submission- and Caution
22 is symbolised by the ancients as "a good man, blinded by folly of others, with a knapsack on his back, full of errors" A warning number of illusion and declusion. it indicates a good person who lives in a fools paradise; a dreamer of dreams who awakens only when surrounded by danger, when it's often too late. it warns of mistakes in judgment, of placing faith in those who are not trustworthy. 22 birthday the person should exercise caution and watchfulness in both career and personal matters. Karmic obligation to be more alert, to curb "spiritual laziness," and develop more spiritual aggressiveness- to realise your won power to change things, to prevent failure by simply ordaining success. When this personal responsibility is recognised, practised, and finally mastered, the 22 person can be in control of events, no longer blinded by the folly of others, and will see ideas acheived and dreams realised.

Also note than persons born or names adding up to a 4 or 8(4,13,22,31,8,17,26) Have strong karmic obligations and is best not to have those no's repeating themselves, either by name or dates, addresses other people, as they seem to have powerful not necessarily negative influences more than any other. Unless those persons feel that they are strong enough to handle it. Therefore if the birthday is either of those no's then it is best to change the spelling of the name if it equals 4 or 8.
My birth no is 22, and when I read what that no means I understood it and it hit me like a lightning bolt, because I have always been to trusting of other people and I was forever getting hurt by them. My Name also adds to 13, so there is a double 4 influence. But I feel that I am strong enough to handle this vibration. When 4 and 8 come together things can be alot more traumatic.