The Tarot of Life (new unpublished deck)

BlueDragonfly

Uma said:
I understand your point about keeping the words quiet but in this case the words are important and as someone who now wears reading glasses I'd like to be able to see them clearly. What do you think?

The ressolution is too big to upload here so I put it on my blog: http://tarotoflife.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-look-example-1.html
Uma, this deck is beautiful! Of the 3 choices posted, I like #3 the best. I'm looking forward to reading more about the progress of this unique deck.

~BD~

KafkasGhost

I like the color but not the font of #3 (just being nitpicky but I'm very sensitive about fonts :D). I like the serif font used in #1.

Debra

Namaste!

It's so nice that you're open to hearing people's reactions.

#3 has the most internal consistency. The hard-edged graphic look of #1 doesn't suit your dreamy watercolors, nor do the formal fonts like #1 & #2. Still curious what it might look like with your own handwriting.

Máire

I definitely like the third example the best, and also think this is the best font choice yet. Although not 100% ideal, it is easily legible and matches the beauty of your ink line, and it doesn't overpower the delicacy of your image. I think I'd tinker with the dividing line though so the bottom capitals don't break through it. Or try a similar font that doesn't break through the line.

Another idea might be to put the first header where your copyright sign is, and the second subhead in the opposite corner (diagonal), so they're both aligned along the longer side of the card. This would get rid of the line problem too. Just a thought! But definitely liking it a lot more now.

I think the serif font is a bit *ordinary* in comparison. I mean, you see Times or its variants everywhere, and it can be a bit clunky...and boring.

Cheers, hon. Thanks for considering our suggestions!

:)

gregory

Uma - if you are planning to run with the gamecrafter for printing - be aware that the postage charges outside the USA are terrifying. It will restrict your sales a lot (several of us here just banded together to get one that's up there now, so that one US person bought and mailed on.)

I will PM you....

Uma

example 4 (for fonts)

I posted a 4th example for feedback on my site http://tarotoflife.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-look-example-1.html

I can't find another font that appeals to me as much as this one ("Tempus Sans ITC"). My hand lettering isn't up to par for this kind of work. If anyone cares to suggest another font by all means...I'll have a look. For my aesthetics point of view, it needs to be lightweight, simple and easy to read with a touch of the "handwritten" look. On the computer screen the fonts look brighter vs. printed version which is softer (although the printed version is more vivid since it's in much higher resolution).

I've decided to print up a batch in 3.5" x 5" sizes (as Doreen Virtue's Angle cards - which suit this style best I think) and buy myself a laminator and see how much this would cost me to do a limited edition do-it-yourself job. Then I'll look into the LWB etc...