A look into the future

cirom

Hi everyone, based on the responses here and visitors to my web site it seems that a good number have been looking at the images there. There also appears to be two active threads, this and the one on the deck creation forum.
So I may (with the moderators permission) post this response on both as its important.

Regarding the issue of price. I don't want raise hopes here and I also would like to clarify my intentions and some terminology. Limited editions as the name suggests are items produced in finite numbers, so in addition to their inherent value there is also the collectable value based on the items availability or lack thereof. Thats why you get incredible price jumps on e-bay based on out of print decks. Limited editions of many tarot decks seem to be a common theme now.

Just because a deck is self published, (as in the case of the Tarot of Dreams) does not make it a limited edition. The reason I self published is that I wanted to produce it in the way I had envisioned it as opposed to it being modified and diluted by a major publishers committee. Which would have been the case.

My intention and hope is that as many people that think they want this deck and like the images they see on line can afford it, lets be honest the economy is bad and adding yet another tarot deck to your collection is hardly a necessity. So thats why I decided to agree to license the deck to Llewellyn for mass production. The production numbers keep the unit prices down and they have the distribution and network that I don't. So hopefully with a little more patience there will be a Divine Legacy at your local Barnes and Nobel or Amazon by this time next year.

However, beyond that, I wanted to create something special, hence my referring to this other version of the Legacy project not as a limited edition, but as a special edition. That's not just playing with words, there's a difference. As I indicate on my web site. I will be actually producing variations of several cards, and printing all of those different version. So in fact I will be printing far more than just the number of cards necessary for a 78 card deck. Then during the assembly process which will be by hand. Those variables will be collated randomly. So that the final configuration of each deck will vary from one to another. Statistically it will be almost impossible for any two decks to be made up of the same 78 images. Each deck will be signed and include message, quote or dedication of your choice.

My intention is that the deck will be a package that also contains a fully illustrated book, not a plain old companion book that provides yet another explanation of the cards, but an original short story (on which the movie is based). The intention is that these books will be hand made one at a time, on fine art paper and wrapped in a leather flap (think something that Gandalf would be walking around with under his arm). The package would also include a large museum quality giclée reproduction of your personal Tarot Birth Card.

These are only intentions at this point, I will be going through production cost later this week to see how viable they are. But to be honest the reference point that was guessed in the earlier post is unrealistic. and I wanted to at least clarify that. In fact I have to be honest and I'm rather confused as to how to proceed. I had initially envisioned this special edition as being really quite exclusive, and something that would be produced only in small quantities for a select few. I've been rather taken by surprise and honored by the number of enquiries I've recieved. In fact, in the case of the hand made book, I'm not sure I would even be capable of producing them in the quantity that now might have to be considered. I'll have to chew this one over.

By the way here are some references to the 12 Birth Cards that will be offered soon as separate prints, but also included with the special edition.

Attachments

• _LEG-Wheel-Magician-BC.jpg
    _LEG-Wheel-Magician-BC.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 125
  • _LEG-Hanging-Man-High-Priestess.jpg
    _LEG-Hanging-Man-High-Priestess.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 128
  • _LEG-devil-lovers-BC.jpg
    _LEG-devil-lovers-BC.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 126

PAMUYA

The "special edition" sounds wonderful. I am not surprised by the response of those wanting one! I find it quite refreshing to see someone who cares and is willing to satisfy our wants. Thank you for all that you have shared and for all of your work. I know I am willing to save and buy your beautiful art, and know others are in front of me in line ;)

Shining_Moon

I think that this is an incredible deck Ciro - I cannot wait to start reading with it!

Very well done; you must be so proud!

Jewel

I hope I can afford the Legacy Project, as it sounds so very special. But as a creator you have to follow your heart, this is your baby.

Just for consideration, perhaps you could think about maybe making a Special Edition deck (as described) and regular paperback book or spiral bound, or three whole punched with a cover that could be put in a view binder by purchasers, and have an Ultra Special Edition that is completly as you described. Just my two pearls worth. I for one would be pleased with the deck and alternate cheaper version of the deck if the one you really want to make ends up out a price range the hubby will allow me to spend. I am wanting the larger cards so that I can see the details that will be lost when the deck is reduced to regular size.

Ultimately though, follow your heart. For what it is worth you have my full support in whatever decisions you make. But I'll start saving now in hopes getting my hands on the entire project *LOL*

Cearsha

I echo everyone else's words - as far as a handmade book, well that is a VERY ambitious project in itself - I would think a high quality limited edition book done on good quality paper, maybe a different/better edition than will be with the mass produced, and with a really neat tooled leather cover would be enough for the special edition, with the edition of the special cards, etc. I am sure it will be WAY out of my range, so I will just have to bide my time and be patient until the commercial printed one is available - and I am hoping that the story will be the same in the commercially printed book, even if it will be a lesser quality, mass-produced book - SO many variables, which I am sure the choices are almost overwhelming - I know you will make the best decision all around once all the figures and logistics are figured out....... Gosh, I wish I didn't know about this already, a year seems like such a long time, though I know it will fly by.....
Best wishes Ciro, I know it will be a huge success no matter what the end choices are.....
Deb

starlightexp

Ciro, as one who works in the collectable industry on the sales and marketing side all I can tell you is to go for the gold and make it what would please you the most. You are the artist and this is your art. You have said a few times here that this may well be your last deck and I think you should go out in style, on a note of the highest integrity you can. What you are describing is nothing short of astounding. The ability for one to be able to have a deck unique to them and a book worthy of an antiquarian book seller’s shop is a dream come true for some.

We go thorough this a lot at my office. How much it too much for a piece? Where can we make cuts to make it more affordable? Should we make it a bigger edition to bring the costs down? In the end most of the time something is compromised and no one is really ever happy. Those that spent the money right away are mad because it’s still available a year or so later and so they feel that they wasted their money in the ‘investment’. Those that couldn’t afford it are upset because they don’t have one. (Of course their only pissed off till the DO get one. Then they are happy but keep checking the price on e-bay to makes sure the didn’t waste their money like group one.) If the price is way up there and not that many get made then those that made the investment do indeed have a work of art that they can treasure and you have made your art the way that you want to and you have no regrets.

It shouldn’t be a thing that people can just get any old time. In some ways the wait to save up the money for it will only make the love for it that much stronger because it has taken more time and energy to get it. So often it’s just an ‘ohhhh I want this deck because it’s pretty’. Well with the mass market version they can go right over to the book store and get it, but for those that fine this deck THE deck that calls to them, then those will be the ones that put some money aside each month to get it. (I for one started to put away money about 6 months ago for the special edition of this deck because I respect your art,have loved the cards from day one and know that it will be a crown jewel in any collection.) Your Special Edition will be something that is talked about for years to come and I’m sure people will be comparing decks at Meet Ups and book clubs all over the tarot world. Please make this deck how you want, I’m sure you will still have a gaggle of tarot-ites clamoring for it because it truly is an astounding accomplishment.

zara

Im just corious, but what about the size of this deck?

Even though ToD is a bit big to handle I love beeing able to see all the details, and I hope that this deck is going to be a bit bigger than the ordinary deck size as well.

Dragon Rider

I'll definitely be getting a copy... whatever edition!!! And I'll do whatever it takes because it's such a beautiful deck!!!

cirom

zara said:
Im just corious, but what about the size of this deck?

Even though ToD is a bit big to handle I love beeing able to see all the details, and I hope that this deck is going to be a bit bigger than the ordinary deck size as well.

The Special edition will be the same size as the TOD approximately 5.5 inches high. The standard edition will be the same as most Llewellyn decks (i.e the Gilded).

I provided the Manuscript of the short story to Llewellyn to make sure....yes it will also be included in the companion book of the standard deck (albeit in the smaller size and probably only in black and white)

As a teaser here is one of the illustrations from the SE book.

Attachments

• Legacy-book.jpg
    Legacy-book.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 127

PAMUYA

I personally like the larger decks for doing readings(use the RWS(large deck) the only other deck I have), clients like them too. I don't have the ToD deck only the Gilded by Ciro which I have been doing most of my readings from lately(which is a smaller deck). It was an easy transition from the RWS to the Gilded. The RWS dose have it's colorful history, but the Gilded is so beautiful, I find it harder and harder to go back to the RWS deck. I thought I was a RWS lifer ;), but Ciro you changed that for me. The Gilded are at least for me, a great reading deck(only a couple of cards I cannot connect with, I have that problem with the RWS also), but they are also a work of art. I and my clients just love to look at them. In fact I have to buy another new Gilded deck, keep wearing them out.

I am planning on getting a special edition Legacy deck, and if I get a connection to these cards (I will read and meditate from them), I will buy the Llewellyn decks to use for daily client readings and parties, saving the special edition for my personal use and special readings.

Sorry I went on and on, I can't wait to get my hands and wrap myself around these cards. Can't wait to see the book too!