Druid Animal Oracle Study Group-Blackbird

majah kahlana

Since the first animal listed in the book is the Blackbird lets get started with him ourselves.

1.) What are your impressions? This is a very delicate bird. Somehow I had gotten it confused with the raven and the crow. I think there is a lot of wisdom shining around this bird. Or maybe watchfulness. His head is up and he seems on the verge of taking a quick look around.

2.) How can I use the energy of Blackbird in my life? By being alert and aware of whats going on around me or in my life situations I may be able to avoid the "hawks" in my life.

3.) What other myths or legends do I know about Blackbird. Just the old nursery rhyme "Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie, and when the pie was opened the birds began to sing..."

I look forward to hearing what else you all have to say about blackbird.
MK

inanna_tarot

I just wanted to add my own thoughts on the Blackbird - and I think you made an interesting point there, about how even though its black, its not got the negative energies of the crow or raven. Maybe its because the blackbird doesnt eat carrion - or maybe its because the blackbird heralds the dawn, the new light and day, rather than the crow and raven that are seen to highlight times of mist and early darkness.

I always how funny it is to call a type of bird based on what the male looks like - the female blackbird is not black at all but brown.

I didnt used to think much of the blackbird till we worked a ritual on the story of the Mabon being reborn, talking to a representative of the blackbird, the bringer of the dawn, the one that sings us back to ourselves from the darkness. And they often bang snail shells against my window ledge - the tuneful alarm clock and the really horrible one lol.

Blackbird brings us back to reality, wakes us from dreamtime and shows us the new light. Its a very healing and inspiring energy, for personally, he shows birth and rebirth, making the dark times worth the new dawn!

Sezo
x

MCsea

Pops in and waves HI,

I LOVE animals but dont know much about the druid animal oracle, but Id love to learn...

I just read a little on black birds and it seems they have iridescent feathers on their head, like black is the summation of all colour. Also these birds sing - in groups - large groups, echoing the collective unconsious.

MARINA

Mi-Shell

Hi folks!
I saw the thread about the Druid Animal Oracle and thought to send you the scan from Ted Andrew's book Animal Speak:
Another book I like is Animal Wisdom by Jessica Dawn Palmer
... and there are others.......

Cheers Mi-Shell

DICTIONARY OF BIRD TOTEMS
ANIMAL-SPEAK
BLACKBIRD
KEYNOTE: Understanding of the Energies of Mother Nature CYCLE OF POWER: Summer
The blackbird has long been associated with omens and mysticism. Its color, alone, has evoked both fear and promise. Although called a blackbird, only the males are black. Females usually have a streaky, brown plumage.
Not all blackbirds are black. One variety has a yellow head and throat which stands out strongly against the black plumage. The yellow and black coloring has long been associated with the Archangel AurieI. Auriel is considered the tallest of the angels, with eyes that can see across eternity. This being oversees all of nature and all of the nature spirits. Auriel has traditionally been associated with the summer season.
Another variation of the blackbird is the red-winged blackbird. This bird has a red path on its wings, with a dash of yellow as well. These colors connect this bird to the level known as Binah in the Qabalistic Tree of Life. This is the level associated with the Dark Mother and the primal feminine energies. This bird has ties to all of the creative forces of Nature.
On the Tree of Life, black is the color for Binah and red is the color for Geburah (Mars type of energy). Yellow or amber is the color of the path that connects the two, and it is the path of Cancer, the mother sign of the zodiac. The red-winged blackbird is thus a totem associated with the stellar energies of Cancer.
The male red-winged blackbird will lose its luster during the winter. This reflects how the summer is the time of vibrancy and vitality for those with this bird as a totem. It indicates the need to use the winter to go back into the great womb of life in order to be able to bring forth new energy and expressions of energy the following summer.
Blackbirds nest in swamps, marshes, and low brush-usually just a few feet from water. Again this reflects a tie to water, an ancient symbol for the feminine force and for Nature. They often use cattails as perches. A study of the herbal qualities and characteristics of cattail will also provide further insight.
Blackbirds are known for fiercely staking out their own territory, and they will often drive off any other of their kind that are in the vicinity. Because of this, the sight of two blackbirds sitting together is often considered a good omen. In Europe, blackbirds came to be associated with St. Kevin, and one story tells of how they nested in his hand. Again because of this association, to have blackbirds nesting in your environment is usually a beneficial sign. St. Kevin was known as a person of tremendous gentleness and love.
Europeans used to eat blackbirds in a pie, as reflected in the nursery rhyme.
Most of the time though, live blackbirds were hidden in empty pie shells to provide amusement at gatherings. If the blackbird has come into your life as a totem, you will open to new surprises and to a new understanding of the forces of Nature as they begin to migrate into your life.

rachelcat

Wow, lots of info here already!

I did a study with several books, and I tried to synthesize the various meanings and stories, so forgive me if I sound like I’m just parroting the book. I’ll move on soon, I promise!

It’s interesting to know that they sing (and crack shells!) in the morning dusk. The book made it seem they sing in the evening dusk. Do they do both? Either way, it’s a good symbol for the meaning of being guides to another world. The card beautifully shows the stars and moon just coming out (or fading) and the cave-like entrance to the other world. I also saw the story that it is the first of the oldest animal to lead the seekers to the string of other, older animals as another way to say it is a gateway to the otherworld (of very old animals!).

I found the connection with blacksmiths interesting. Do you think it’s just because they’re black (as iron, as the face of a blacksmith covered with soot)? If we connect blacksmiths and blackbirds with alchemists, who can turn mundane rocks and lumps of metal into amazing things, it’s yet ANOTHER association to spiritual guidance. Plus I see the blackness of the feathers contrasting with the gold of the beak. The bird combines lead or iron and gold? Or it is part of the earth (black) but it speaks of spiritual gold (through its beak)?

The tree the blackbird is perched on is the rowan. (I’m in the process of studying the trees shown on the cards with a big ogham study, but I’ve only gotten through the first two trees. Luckily the rowan is the second one I’ve worked on!)

The rowan has strong associations with magic and divination, as well as protection from harmful magic. Rowan trees are (were?) planted near houses, and rowan twigs are (were?) tacked above doors of homes and barns to protect the inhabitants from not-so-nice witches. In Irish legends, druids (on both sides) would make fires of rowan wood before a battle to see the outcome and maybe influence it. Magic wands made of rowan were used by good magicians (to kill a giant with an evil eye that killed everyone he looked at) and evil. Witches made the hero Cuchulain eat dog meat, which he was forbidden to do, that was roasted on a rowan spit. (This led directly to his death in battle.) A bed of rowan branches was used by the sleeper who, after partaking of a sacrificed bull, dreamed of the new king of Ireland. Whew, so--protection, magic, and divination!

Last two bits on blackbirds. I keep humming Paul McCartney’s:

Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arise

Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to be free

Black-bird fly
Black-bird fly, into the light of a dark black night

We can learn to fly and to see, transcending our broken wings and sunken eyes. Sometimes we just need a guide like the blackbird to show us how.

I was interested to see that not all blackbirds are black. There is a blackbird in the Tarot of Reincarnation that is SO not black, which had me going ???. But the meaning worked for the card.

I found out the card--its the Tower! It makes sense, in that catastrophes and bolts from the blue can lead one to spiritual attitudes. I'll try to post the non-black blackbird when I get a chance.
And now I think that’s about enough from me! I look forward to reading other posts and posting on the other wonderful Druid Animals.

circlewalker

A little bit of digging around came up with these gems

The beautiful song of the blackbird makes it a symbol of temptations, especially sexual ones. The devil once took on the shape of a blackbird and flew into St. Benedict's face, thereby causing the saint to be troubled by an intense desire for a beautiful girl he had once seen. In order to save himself, St. Benedict tore off his clothes and jumped into a thorn bush. This painful act is said to have freed him from sexual temptations for the rest of his life.

Like the crow and the raven, the blackbird is considered a bad omen. However, the sight of two blackbirds sitting together is a symbol of peace and a good omen.
(You'll be lucky to see 2 males sitting together!)

The Druid Dhubh (Blackbird) has an association with the Rowan tree since Blackbirds are fond of Rowan berries. Since each Rowan berry carries a minute pentagram, eating these berries is said to give the blackbird the ability to connect us with his healing song to the balancing and regenerative powers of the Otherworld and the Unconscious.
I wonder if the cave mouth in the card represents the otherworld in this case?

I am also intrigued by the rune which I think is supposed to be Fehu - the first of Futhark. This rune supposedly links with possessions won or earned, earned income, luck. Abundance, financial strength in the present or near future. Sign of hope and plenty, success and happiness. Social success. Energy, foresight, fertility, creation/destruction (becoming)..............

With both sun, moon and clear night sky, bare bracnhes and the rowan in berry we are beyond the time of year when the blackbird's warbling song makes both dusk and dawn a musical delight. So singing is not on his mind yet.

We have had families of blackbirds in our garden for the last 6 years and have come to know them quite well - the males chasing each other around, shoulders hunched up and heads down while the hens swoop in and nick the bread the males have been trying to defend - we call this 'MY Bread' - the fledglings flap around looking a bit out of balance, and all take delight in splashing around in the low sided plastic plant pot holder which doubles as bath and water source all year round.

You know, looking at his card I get a general feeling of wanting to hop off into that cave for the winter and settle down to some serious otherworld investigation, meditation, going within. I also feel a bit sorry for him - all his bluster and song are of no use now, perhaps he's feeling a little bit sorry for himself, unloved, un-needed?

Have to think about this a bit more...

in light

cw

fina

circlewalker said:
The Druid Dhubh (Blackbird) has an association with the Rowan tree since Blackbirds are fond of Rowan berries. Since each Rowan berry carries a minute pentagram, eating these berries is said to give the blackbird the ability to connect us with his healing song to the balancing and regenerative powers of the Otherworld and the Unconscious.

cw

An interesting thing about birds who eat berries: In Canada (where I'm from) the berries that stay on the bush for the winter sometimes ferment. When the birds then eat these berries in the spring, they get drunk. I don't know if this happens with rowan berries, but I figured I'd add in this little tid-bit of knowledge.

2dogs

I couldn't find a Blackbird in any of my other decks, but there were a couple of cards with Rowan berries in the Sacred Circle Tarot.

The Green Man Tree Oracle guidebook gives the Rowan the meaning of protection in the sense of a stronger power that is looking after us, also the advice to recognise when we need protection and to make sure we get it where necessary.

The two Sacred Circle cards are interesting as two different examples of protection - the Star in the sense of encouraging and helping one move forward in a positive way, the Tower in a less obvious way of destroying those things that may appear very desirable but in reality are holding one back.

Attachments

• IMG_3017_Blackbird_Rowan.jpg
    IMG_3017_Blackbird_Rowan.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 502