Vintage Wisdom Oracle

Madrigal

Wow, gorgeous! I may need to trim mine, too. The bag is perfect. Where did you get it?

Madrigal

I see the wyldechild name in your link and I'm going to be strong and not click ;) I looove her work!

Le Fanu

LeFanu, I'm curious to know how you get along with it. It's definitely a feminine deck, and feminine in a very specific way.....
My copy arrived today. I really like it. I knew my intuition was right. This deck is right up my street even though I generally avoid the overtly feminine decks as I always thought I liked the feeling of balance.

I have never been a fan of the whole Goddess/ ISIS / Sacred Feminine type of deck but this one is very different. It is the languid, dreamy, wistful side of feminine which I identify with. I don't really identify with Earth Goddesses. These are sirens and vamps. Let's face it, the models of these old postcards were often considered to be loose women (Is "Protection" Mata Hari?). They offered a mild form of titilation and I think we are right to embrace that aspect in this oracle. For me, I think the images in this deck are infinitely more empowering to the modern day reader than antiquated earth goddesses or - god forbid - angels. I think we are entitled to allow these cards to appeal to the lascivious and introspective self (just look at Divine Timing!)

I was under the impression from what had been posted that these cards were edged in silver. Did I misunderstand or have I got a non-gilded version? There is silver embossed on the box but not on the cards.

I really like them. They are frothy and gentile, unlikely to usurp the Thoth but they have a nostalgic, campy appeal. I do wish though that they were all photographs as I know the Waterhouse images too well. Small thing because overall I am impressed. It's such an obvious idea and it has been done very well. Why do I think Doreen Virtue is going to steal this idea and call it "Communing with your Ancestors" or something?

delizt

Le Fanu, the edges are non-gilded...it was only the outside of the box that had the silvery highlights.

Le Fanu

ah ok, so I don't have a faulty one! Thanks for that.

Madrigal

My copy arrived today. I really like it. I knew my intuition was right. This deck is right up my street even though I generally avoid the overtly feminine decks as I always thought I liked the feeling of balance.

I have never been a fan of the whole Goddess/ ISIS / Sacred Feminine type of deck but this one is very different. It is the languid, dreamy, wistful side of feminine which I identify with. I don't really identify with Earth Goddesses. These are sirens and vamps. Let's face it, the models of these old postcards were often considered to be loose women (Is "Protection" Mata Hari?). They offered a mild form of titilation and I think we are right to embrace that aspect in this oracle. For me, I think the images in this deck are infinitely more empowering to the modern day reader than antiquated earth goddesses or - god forbid - angels. I think we are entitled to allow these cards to appeal to the lascivious and introspective self (just look at Divine Timing!)

Where you see lasciviousness I see restrained and languid sensuality. And yes, we definitely need more of that as an ally in our increasingly hard-edged, fast-paced lives. It is medicine of the most refined kind.

As for "loose women" well doesn't that just have the most wonderfully visceral feeling in the body? Loose, languid, relaxed, tapped into the inner Mysteries...

I really like them. They are frothy and gentile, unlikely to usurp the Thoth but they have a nostalgic, campy appeal. I do wish though that they were all photographs as I know the Waterhouse images too well. Small thing because overall I am impressed. It's such an obvious idea and it has been done very well. Why do I think Doreen Virtue is going to steal this idea and call it "Communing with your Ancestors" or something?

The Waterhouse images are my least favorite as well and I think it's because they are also the most 'manifest' in the deck, there's less mystery there in such a defined image even though the figures themselves are rather dreamy. Lol at your last sentence.

DaughterOfDanu

I'm on the fence about these and hoping to get an update from those who have had this deck for a while now on how you feel about it. Do you still use yours regularly? Do you find it is a deck that can be used for in depth readings or are they better for one card inspirational/comfort readings?

Ambrosia

Hello all...

Just ordered this lovely Oracle and I'd love to hear if you guys are still using it...How do you find it reads? Are you still enjoying it? What are your favourite uses for the deck?

Love, love, LOVE vintage imagery so I'm very much looking forward to it...I bet it will read well in conjunction with the Victorian Romantic Tarot too!

Do tell...