The Black Light BOTA

Pam O

Well this is totally cool.
I'm curious what the cards look like under normal light.

Yes, they are insanely amazing colors to that spark under the black light.

I have been wondering the same question about how your VERY AWESOME cards look simply with natural light?
:)

Samweiss

That deck looks amazing. Well done!

reall

Oh, got it now. No, nothing on deviantart. If you're interested, some of my other work (but nothing tarot related just yet) can be seen at By George, I Think You've Got It.

FANTASTIC ART STYLE!^^ AND WEB PRESENTATION!^^ I would definitely like to see your tarot/oracle deck in the future!^^ ;))))))))))))))

h3ll0k1tt33

what's that word for when you discover a "need" you previously didn't know existed? Suddenly, but no less urgently, I need a black light deck. And I need it to do readings in a smoke filled room lit only by a black light where the music of mid-70s Yes filters in, just loud enough to provide faint but persistent ambiance, across a curtain separating the room from the party outside.

^^^ this.

Did you colour them in while using the black light?
I'm also curious to see what they look like in natural light.....

agviz

Here are the same cards from shot #1, now lit with regular room light. I've also included a side-by-side comparison to several other decks, also in room light.

While the BOTA is fairly vibrant under normal lighting, it' not nearly as much as with black light. Beyond the radiance of the cards, they seem to really pop because the surrounding space falls into darkness.

I colored them in regular white light.

Thanks again for the nice comments.

Attachments

• BLBOTA9.jpg
    BLBOTA9.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 284
  • BLBOTA10.jpg
    BLBOTA10.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 275

Debra

Oh man. I feel a Need coming on...might even be a Trend ... :laugh:

DeToX

Fantastic job! Really well done! :) Do you know how they might fade? I'm going on the experience of invisible UV markers that tend to lose their UV qualities over 6-9 months to a large extent.

agviz

Fantastic job! Really well done! :) Do you know how they might fade? I'm going on the experience of invisible UV markers that tend to lose their UV qualities over 6-9 months to a large extent.

Good question. Sharpie says they're permanent and fade-resistant, but that might be referring to their color under white light. I sent the question to Sharpie; we'll see.

EDIT TO UPDATE: Sharpie responded, Though our neon Sharpie markers are permanent. Fluorescence over time under UV light may slightly fade and require touch ups.

I believe I finished coloring the cards around July of 2013. The color seems to be holding up so far, although they haven't been exposed to UV lighting all that long. Time will tell.

agviz

wow, we are some needy MF'ers. ;^)

I have 3 BOTA decks coming in the mail soon. I'll be going to Blick's and coming back with more than enough trouble for me to get myself caught up in.

The non-black light photos of the black light cards look great! It's like a win-win. I'm going to put on some old Hawkwind and sniff real close the markers as I color.

Ha, ha! Well have fun! With three decks it sounds like you could try some interesting experiments!

truelighth

I love it! They look great. So vibrant :thumbsup: