The Ones that Got Away: Decks You Regret Parting With

euripides

As I contemplate adding another deck (ok, or two) to my collection, and wondering whether I ought to trade away a deck and whether I might regret it, a question comes to mind -

What decks have you traded away or sold, and now regret parting with? (or have replaced?)

I had intended to pass my Blake to Nisaba once, but I kept stalling... I just couldn't let it go, even though I knew she ought to have it, I mean if ever a deck and person belong together, right? Thankfully she acquired a copy from someone else.

I'm supposed to be a minimalist, but decks feel a lot like books. They aren't things used and put away, but rich resources to be returned to when you feel the need.

Edit: you might want to couch your reply in careful terms, if that deck is in the hands of another Aeclectic member. Wouldn't want to make someone feel bad!

Michellehihi

Thank you for starting this thread, it will allow me to vent my sadness to having sols my LoScarabeo Ancient tarot of Marseilles. I had bought it at a normal price, and I sold it a few months ago to someone who is in love with it. Now that it is gone from my life, I am desesperately trying to find another one and I realise this deck is expensive!!!!!
It almost became an obsession, I can spend hours on internet looking for it!

Lee

I once traded away a Greenwood. This was when they were still available and in print and no one had a clue that they would become rare and desirable. I still don't like the deck and don't miss it, but I wish I had saved it just so I could get the value of its increased worth!

prudence

I traded my Kazanlar a few years ago, to a member here. I was glad at the time because she really wanted it and I felt it should be with someone who'd use it a lot. I think I traded it for the Epinal. I also traded my original Jolanda (Swedish Witch) deck for a Thoth Hexeray or Hezeray deck, which I then gave away to someone on the forum, who for sure deserved it, and I think she'd cherish it. But I do miss my Swedish Witch.

willowy

Very good topic idea,I've not let go of many decks,gothic tarot of vampires by Lo sacrebo,and Titanias star tarot,both to charity shops (which I felt no regret over as I didn't like either),but two I did regret was The prediction tarot,it was my first ever deck when I was 13,but silly me went through a clutter clearing phase and let it go- only to buy a copy back a year down the line! I don't use it much but its kind of sentimental,looking through it takes me back,it was the start of my personal tarot journey.
The second one was The tarot of love kit by Rohr wulfing von,I struggled to connect with it but now regret letting it go,I plan to get it again sometime.
I don't let decks to so easily anymore.

JylliM

I sold my Wildwood kit 2-3 months ago and I'm vaguely regretting it. I never used it, and don't think I could read with it (which is why I sold it, of course!) but it's such a lovely deck that I'd like to have it sitting there just in case!

rylla

Although I have the latest LE and standard edition of Tarot of Prague, I regret parting with the original version. It just had a different feel than these ones (which I also like, no regret purchasing them).

Heliodoro tarot. I had it in my hands :) I should never let it go.

Barleywine

I come at this from a slightly different angle: since I'm basically a "black hole" of tarot collection (if decks come into my gravitational field, they never escape and they sometimes even breed back-up copies), I've cultivated the fine art of not buying many. So a better question for me is "What decks didn't you buy when they were readily available - or available at a reasonable price - and now regret not owning." I tend not to buy used decks, so that narrows the field a bit, and I don't like paying much over $25 USD for a new deck (although I've been known to back a Kickstarter campaign or two). Ideally, it gets to be a case of "I don't know what I don't know," which translates into "What you don't know can't hurt you." At least until I happen upon a scan of a wonderful deck that I so smugly avoided, and go beat my head against a wall :)

As far as specific decks, I can't think of many off-hand. I suppose I might like to own the Greenwood (just because), and possibly the Well-Worn Path. Pagan-themed decks that move me are few and far between. Right now I'm trying to get cozier with my Druidcraft (but it really could use a trim).

MissChiff

I would have to say the Bonefire Tarot. I had to sell some really nice decks....but that one just really upset me... it's kept me up a night. I can't wait for the new edition and I'm sure i will love it...but I'm just really kicking myself for that one.. I still am looking for the first edition.

Alta

I have sold or given away some that I regret, so much so that now I am reluctant to part with even unused decks. Starlot, Greenwood (yes!), the book from the MerryDay, jump immediately to mind but there have been others