Tarot cards and HEALTH

mariskiss

Hi all,

I was doing a general health reading for someone and the Tower card came up with the Empress....I've done some research and it says that Tower could mean Mental breakdown, and the Empress means thyroid problems. What could this combination mean together? Any suggestions?

PlatinumDove

(note ahead of time: I'm not making a diagnosis at all, I strongly advocate seeing a health professional in the instance of any possible health problems.)

When a person has depression, one of the first things a doctor usually does is to see if there is a physiological problem to account for it. An imbalance in the thyroid (either hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism) can account for depression.
I would suggest to the person to get their yearly checkup with their doctor and get a full blood workup done to check their body chemistries (including cholesterol numbers), blood cell counts, thyroid function, and if they are an older man (above 40) to check for prostate cancer with the prostate specific antigen.

Moongold

Without seeing the rest of the throw, Tower and Empress together could mean gynocological issues.

Aaaagggh :D Those two cards together could mean lots of things. Health readings are really hard. Glad you sending her to the doctor.

Windhorse

Just a warning however: Doctors are not the be-all-and-end-all of health professionals.

Personally, I don't trust Doctors for diagnosis or treatment - not to say that they don't have their place. Whilst I would always suggest seeing someone like a Naturopath or Traditional Chinese medicine practitioner, I also recognise that it boils down to the individual healer, regardless of which 'modality' they practice (be it western, eastern, conventional, or alternative).

I guess I am lucky in that I have a regular naturopath who started out her career as an MD; a GP who is also qualified TCM practitioner, and a trad chinese doctor from Vietnam who personally knows my GP and helps him with any queries he has about chinese medicine. But this wonderful network of health professional is not the norm for 99.9% of people.

I am an 'alternative healer' myself and I use the Tarot for diagnosis purposes too. And whilst I too ask clients to go see their GP's for various tests, I always tell them to get a copy of the tests and take them to Naturopaths, etc, and to look the stuff up themselves.

I did one of these this morning actually. And all I did was pull one card for confirmation of what I already got as the 'reason/answer' to someone's question regarding their health.
She was asking me if there was anything I could do for her earache/sinus problem. I had been hearing her cough, and I noticed a problem before she even approached me. Its lucky I know her, so know her lifestyle and situation, and told her quite clearly she needed to leave her place of work, as it is not doing anything for her health. She is stuck in an airport for long hours, and therefore breathing horrible air-conditioned environment. She is also not happy at work or at home. I basically told her she needed to go somewhere where the air is clean, and she even said when she had 18 months sick leave and spent at home in her garden, it was the best she ever felt healthwise (body, mind and spirit). I have said I would do a formal session for her anyway. I then just quickly shuffled and pulled a card. 7 swords - her feelings of uselessness (or perceived feeelings anyhow) are causing her to manifest illness. She is miserable with a low self-esteem, and has been for a long time. but she won't do anything about it, because she is planning for her retirement. She likes being a victim, coz it suits her. Of course I am worried that she'll die before she gets the chance to enjoy her life, but it is her choice.

I don't think there is a problem with Tarot Readers doing health readings. I think there are a lot of healers born with these talents that are afraid of being assertive with their knowledge of health and healing because the western medical system has a monopoly on our health. but it is also the responsibility of the Tarot practitioner who wants to 'heal' to know their stuff. Do a course on physiology and anatomy. Familiartise yourself with medical conditions and their treatments (conventional, herbal, and others, etc). A lot of conditions can be looked at as being a deficiency or excess of particular minerals. There are a lot of Naturopaths and writers who have written about 'mineralisation' - and these are the fundamentals of health and nutrition.

As for depression and thyroid - well I happen to consider myself an expert on this topic, as I have been suffering from Grave's Disease (a particular form of thyrotoxicosis) for a couple of years now. I am basically over it now, hormone levels returning to normal, and i did use a combination of western medicine, chinese medicine and naturopathic nutrition and mineralisation. yes it took longer than the straight western medical approach, but i took responsibility for my health and worked hard at it. And now when Doctor's say the only way to treat this condition is through either surgery (cutting out the thyroid and having to take supplements all your life), or radioactive chemical treatment (its safe for you, but don't go near pregnant women, children, food, etc), I can turn around as proof to say they don't know what they are talking about.
And yes, when your hormone levels are all out of wack, then of course your mental state is going to be altered. If you have 'hyperthyroidism' your metabolism is increased amazingly. Depending on the severity, you could be using more energy sitting watching TV than the average gymaholic. Your mind races to quickly, and anger and frustration with others can become apparent. Even just knowing you are sick, and you've lost control and there is 'nothing you can do about it' (as many a Doctor would say) is enough to bring your mood down.

I guess The Empress's connection with thyroid is that she is ruled by Venus, and Venus rules Taurus, which is associated with the throat and it's conditions.
The Tower is very relevent, but can be associated with any serious illness, as they do usually come into our lives to make us stop and re-evaluate our lives and our effect on our personal environment.

Is this person you did the reading for female?

perhaps this illness requires her to tear down her own barriers and let her woman speak out, loudly and proudly. Is she perhaps in a submissive relationship? Throat conditions is about us recognising who we are and to be able to voice these things - the strength and courage to voice our opinions, our fears, our needs, wants, desires; maybe there is a writer, or poet or singer or artist waiting to be let out from being imprisoned behind the fortress walls?
Perhaps there is something she needs to speak out against?
What other cards were in the reading?
More information, I would love to help....

p

Zephyros

I'm always interested how people asociate health with different cards. I mean, is it from the astrological association? I mean, I know Taurus is prone to throat problems, because I'm one, and I am, but is it really from astrology? Or something else?

PlatinumDove

Windhorse said:
Just a warning however: Doctors are not the be-all-and-end-all of health professionals.

Personally, I don't trust Doctors for diagnosis or treatment - not to say that they don't have their place. Whilst I would always suggest seeing someone like a Naturopath or Traditional Chinese medicine practitioner, I also recognise that it boils down to the individual healer, regardless of which 'modality' they practice (be it western, eastern, conventional, or alternative).

p

I've wanted to go to a naturopath, but there are problems with this. One is that my insurance does not cover "alternative" medicine, not many insurances do, nor does Medicaid (a non-insurance health system for low-income people in the US) cover it. The other reason is, through research of the naturopaths around my area, they tend to be more expensive than the Western medicine doctors. When I was in Germany, the insurance I had there wouldn't cover "alternative" medicines either.

So, for the majority of people who either have health insurance from their jobs, or no insurance at all, which is sadly, a large amount of people in the US, alternative medicine is out of the question.

MareSaturni

Windhorse said:

Personally, i'd rather see a doctor when i think i have a problem then just ask Tarot cards. I trust Tarot, but my parents are both doctors, my mom is a Pathologist (which means she diagnisis diseases) so i hear a lot about such things and they are not nice.
So when i see in reading, of any oracle, that serious health problems might be involved, i tell the querent he or she should consider visiting a doctor.

I know current medicine is not the cure-of-all, and i do like alterantive methods...still, if i thought my health had any chance of being in real danger, i know who i would like to help me. I'd pray, i'd light candles, i'd read Tarot...and would visit the doctor.

Just my point of view.

:TPW Yuko

Windhorse

PlatinumDove said:
I've wanted to go to a naturopath, but there are problems with this. One is that my insurance does not cover "alternative" medicine, not many insurances do, nor does Medicaid (a non-insurance health system for low-income people in the US) cover it. The other reason is, through research of the naturopaths around my area, they tend to be more expensive than the Western medicine doctors. When I was in Germany, the insurance I had there wouldn't cover "alternative" medicines either.

So, for the majority of people who either have health insurance from their jobs, or no insurance at all, which is sadly, a large amount of people in the US, alternative medicine is out of the question.

Yeah, point taken. I spent some time in the US, and I now how screwed up your system is compared to here in Australia. At least here, most (if not all) medi insurance companies offer cover for use of 'alternative' practitioners like Naturopaths, Acupuncturists, Chiropractors, etc.

And look, as I said I have been extreeeeemely fortunate with the practitioners I have found, as they are also very very affordable. My Chinese Dr (for eg) charges in the traditional manner, in that he is affordable for all people, and if you have gotten sicker whilst you see him, he doesn't charge because he clearly hasn't done his job properly in keeping you healthy.
It doesn't help the cause any when people are entering into practice and charging like a wounded bull for their services - because you are right! low-income folks cannot afford to see a Naturopath when they can go to a GP and not fork out a cent! Its up to the alternative practitioners to make themselves competitive and recognise that they are there to heal people, not sustain middle-class lifestyles. Good health and wellbeing are a basic human right - not the privilege of the few that can afford it!!

As for you Miss Yuko, you are fortunate that that the Healer's gift is in your blood. You have easy access to the information and training from your parents (without it being formalised). Use it. Learn about it, and apply it to your 'spiritual' practices and help other people. I have never said that the Tarot cards themselves give the diagnosis (if I have I apologise and retract the statement, for twas not what i meant) - the cards are merely the tool with which a healer can get to the root of the client's problem - medical or otherwise.

And hey! I love reading, and about anything. I sit and read medical texts and educate myself on such things. I've done courses, I amke a point of knowing about this stuff. So I feel comfortable with 'diagnosing'. I will always suggest tests are undertaken, but I believe that is all that is necessary.

I'm glad you have such unswerving faith in the Western Medical system - it suggests to me that your system where you live is in better shape than it is here in Australia! I guess that's why people are flocking to alternative systems and getting better results down under here!

mitakuye oyasin

P

PS: I'm quite willing to help you guys out with learning how to use the tarot symbols for such purposes if you're interested....

Adjustment

mariskiss said:
Hi all,

I was doing a general health reading for someone and the Tower card came up with the Empress....I've done some research and it says that Tower could mean Mental breakdown, and the Empress means thyroid problems. What could this combination mean together? Any suggestions?

It can be gaining too much weight to the point of causing a disruption in the body, such as heart problems and high blood pressure or other problems that can cause gaining weigh.