How often?

Saleheim

Thanks for the input all. I was led to believe one should do one reading only, also if it concerned another subject. Or I made the error myself and 'translated' it wrong.

autumn star

like others here ... I often do readings in batches ....

Sometimes ... like once a monce ... I will do a couple of readings for myself in a night ... but always on different topics ... and with different spreads and questions. And then for the rest of the month I wont do any readings for myself.

I also do readings for others in batches ... like a couple in a day ... and I never seem to notice a difference if I do one ... or a couple of readings either for myself or others.

It is up to you really... about the number of readings you choose to do a day ... if you did a couple but started to feel overloaded ... then just stick to one.

The important thing is to not repeat readings about the same topic in a small space of time ...

I would recommend that you did whatever feels right for you ... I can understand the recommendation to stick to one spread a day ... whenever I do a couple for myself ... it always takes me a few days to sift through the readings and analyse them ... but I haven't noticed a difference in the accuracy of these readings.

hope that helps :)

firemaiden

Umbrae said:
(should I make a second pot of coffee...2 cards from Maj Tom's TdM...5 of swords & 5 of cups...guess I'd best grind some beans...)

Now that's what I call a brilliant interpretation :D

Genna

Some people(like me) do comparative readings on the same topic with different decks.I find it very difficult not to read "too much" every day(about 10 readings for myself),but that takes too much energy really.

BobTheViking

When I study something, I really put some effort into it, and at the moment I'm studying the Tarot. Learning the book meanings was easy; I can absorb organized, meaningful information like a sponge. It's even easier with a picture right there to remind you. Actually interpreting the cards? That's the hard part.

So I've been doing a lot of readings lately. At least two or three minor ones a day. Usually about myself, but not always. And I try to word questions so I don't become dependent on the Tarot; I have an addictive personality, and I could get myself into dependence really quickly.

As it is, I'm learning, getting a little insight about my situation, and yes, even having fun. Trying to read the patterns of the world and the future in a deck of cards... I never guessed it could be such a rush.

Zephyros

I read at least once a day. Nothing major, only a card of the day. Then I may read for a particular question, or draw a card at random as practice. Then, I may read for people who ask me, and if the reading is ambiguous I may read again with a different spread to clarify.

Of course, I am talking about different questions, people or situations. I don't believe it is helpful to read about the same question over and over again, just bercause you don't like the answer.

Sophie

Regarding reading on the same subject and over-dependence - I think it also depends how you approach a reading. Many approach a reading seeking answers for ordinary life questions:

should I phone Bob?

what would happen if I phone Bob? (try it!)

if I phone Bob and we go out, how will the date go? (you won't know if you don't try that, either)

etc.

Too much of that will lead to over-dependence, though the odd draw will not cause harm.

And of course, these questions - which look quite trivial like that - can be legitimate depending on the circumstance (say, you and Bob had a quarrel and you want to find out if it's the right time to break the ice). Or the person might be shy and in need of a boost: if tarot can help her overcome her shyness and pick up the phone, good for her, I say!

But there is another way of approaching a reading - particularly with oneself. I call this conversations I have with my card. I treat my deck, then, like an interlocutor and we talk. So, what do you think, shall I call Bob? Really, well, you seem to know what you're talking about, I was just not too sure, because Shirley told me Bob was still cut up about his break-up. Shirley fancies him for herself? Sneak! well, I can't blame her, he's gorgeous. He is still cut-up about his break-up? no, recovering. I should go slowly - ok, so what do you think, just a quiet drink after work, we'll take it easy?

etc.

Of course, overdependence can creep in there too! But it does mean you can explore a subject in a free-flowing way, much as you might with a friend. Sometimes I have arguments with my cards, and sometimes they shut up on me or start giving me nonsense - that's the point at which I say thank you and put the deck away (or angrily toss the cards back in their bag!!).

Particularly in periods of mental stress, I find this way of dealing with my cards both soothing and good to help me figure out some things. Generally! sometimes - well, I'm just too close to the problem, not objective enough and all the readings in the world, or even one, will look like nonsense. And the more they do, the more I ask. At that point I've learnt to take a break - and approach another reader!

Imagemaker

I never guessed it could be such a rush.

It's the learning rush with instant feedback, self-directed and satisfying that curiosity need, any time we pull out the cards.

And unlike other things we can get addicted to, the tarot starts giving us nonsense as a sign "you're taroting too much."

I think overdependence comes when we don't have other fascinating things going on. Cycles of emotional need come and go, sometimes tarot and self-analysis is the only filler, sometimes the need is filled other ways.

But the tarot tool is always there, waiting for when we find it useful. (Like AT.)

SunriseDesire

in my experience

i have noticed that one good reading on a topic per day, sometimes period, is all i can expect. after that the answers tend to be negative or just non sensical

Red Emma

How often

A better question might be, should one depend on advice from other tarot readers and/or teachers? Should one experiment and find out what works for her/him?

My answer to my question is, don't depend on any one else's opinions or teachings. Some -- teachers and/or friends -- who give advice make it seem that their pronouncements are an unbreakable law, chisled (sp?) on the same stone as God wrote the 10 commandments.

Next question: What's going to happen to you if you experiment on your own? Will the Goddess rain toads on you, or snatch your first born, if you do several tarot draws in a day? How about if you straighten up reversals? Or shuffle-riffle, the cards in an unpopular fashion?

My attitude is always (about everything) don't take anyone's word for anything. Try it out yourself. Experiment, ponder, try again and again. See what works for you.

Then you'll have an answer which gives your tarot readings a richness and depth which works for each individual reader.

And thank the Goddess for that.