question on using new vs. used cards

Emeraldgirl

I think it comes down to the individual. Some people are comfitable with used objects some people have a compulsion to have everything new. I have both in my collection some decks such as the Greenwood or the older editions of the RWS are out of print and the only way you can get that deck is to buy it used. As Mythos said if it feels icky cleanse it. Develop your own rituals to do so or follow other people's methods it doesn't mater as long as you are happy with the final result.

Flavio

Umbrae said:
So before we begin saying, “It’s a MYTH!” One should examine WHY it’s a myth.
I just noticed Umbrae elaborated more on this point in this thread, you might find it interesting.

Cerulean

The question posed..and an answer from my perspective...

...you should not get used cards and not to let others use/touch your deck to not get their influences on your deck. What do you think?

-----------------------------------------

I think that the respect for printed products can be a literal tradition that carries over from a long association with books, paper and ink.

If you feel that used books are not a good thing to read, use or buy for yourself, perhaps that might carry over to what you believe for a tarot deck that you would like to use for yourself.

If you feel that you really want something pristine and only for yourself, then this feeling might work for you having your own deck. When a deck is new to me, I tend to like to have it around for myself for a week or two before I show it to anyone...but that's not always possible. And my deck won't be so pristine or just for my eyes only as time goes on, that's just how my shared life is...

I tend to live in environments there are so many people around, that it is likely others will look, handle and be around to 'influence' myself, my personal items. I need to be aware of how to handle this...and treat decks like good books that I like to use. Sometimes I have an extra copy of a favored title so I can have it to use for myself...

Cerulean