Essential Lenormand by Rana George - study group proposal

Lune S

Lovely idea

Strange to think no one thought of this before considering how well received Rana's book is.
I'd be happy to join you guys in this study group. When I began to work with Lenormand I decided Rana would be a great teacher so I've stayed faithful to her method and interpretations in all the readings I've done.

Looking forward to this ^.^
I like the idea Lee. It will help us stick to one tradition. Where everyone goes from there is up to them.

surpeti

Lee, I am impressed with how well thought out your ideas are. :thumbsup:

I will participate as I'm able--look forward to it. Thanks!

tarotlova

Thanks everyone for your interest, this is great! :)

This is an excellent question.

Here's more detail on what I have in mind: Each study group thread would take a single reading example from Rana's book. I would post three exercises based on that reading sample.

Exercise A would be to look at and discuss Rana's interpretation, ask questions, make comments, point out interesting things.

Exercise B would be to take the same question and cards but formulate a different interpretation. As we all know, the same cards in any cartomantic system can always be interpreted differently by different people, yet still validly. The point here though is to limit the interpretive possibilities to Rana's own lists of meanings.

Exercise C would entail my posting a new combination of cards (but including the card from whose chapter the Exercise A reading was taken) for which we could all try our hand at interpreting, again using Rana's meanings to put together the interpretation.

Members can in their posts address any one of the three exercises, or all of them, whatever they like.

Let's take for example one of Rana's readings in the Introduction to the book:

Exercise A: "Jane has been seeing Zane for a month and wonders about his intentions. 'Is Zane interested in a long-term relationship with Jane?'"

Ring + Dog + Man + Crossroads + Woman

Rana's interpretation: "No, he is already in a committed relationship, and all he wants is another dish on the side."

My comment here is that it's interesting that Ring+Dog would seem to suggest "Yes, he is interested in a committed relationship," but Rana takes her cue from the Crossroads card ("Cheating, infidelity, adultery") to interpret the first two cards as being a committed relationship with someone else. I think this is a key to interpreting lines of cards -- narrow down the possibilities by letting one card jump out at you, then seeing the other cards in light of how that one card strikes you.

Exercise B: Same reading, but what other interpretations can we come up with for the same cards, and limiting ourselves to Rana's meanings? This isn't about coming up with the "best" interpretation, but rather simply doing a mix-'n-match from Rana's meanings to see what other interesting interpretations we can come up with.

For example, how about: "He wants very much to have a committed relationship (Ring+Dog), but he (Man) is still undecided (Crossroads) whether he will choose (Crossroads) Jane (Woman) as the person he wants."

In that example, I've used meanings/keywords from Rana's lists but chosen some different ones than she did, resulting in a completely different interpretation.

Exercise C: Let's assume that the A and B reading was in the Ring chapter. So for Excercise C, I would post a new set of cards for us to interpret, including the Ring, using the same question as Rana's example.

Example: Scythe + Key + Ring + Clover + Anchor

Same question: "Jane has been seeing Zane for a month and wonders about his intentions. 'Is Zane interested in a long-term relationship with Jane?'"

Participants can interpret the cards any way they want, as long as they take their individual card meanings from Rana's list of meanings to do so. I would post my own interpretation only after several people posted theirs, because while I consider myself to be leading the study group from an administrative perspective, I'm not "teaching" it per se and won't be commenting on or criticizing members' interpretations.

While it's true that Rana says, "Eventually you will build on the traditional meanings and cultivate your own successful readings," I think it would make most sense in this study group for us to stick with her meanings so that we can study her interpretations and follow her mental process in arriving at them, which seems to me to be an excellent way to begin to internalize her approach.

Again, members can feel free to post solutions for any one of the three exercises, or two of them, or all of them.

Does all that sound too complicated? I'm still kind of formulating in my mind how it would work, so any feedback or suggestions at this point are welcome.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! But I think I will give this one a miss, as I don't agree with a lot of Ranas meanings but I loved her explanation on the GT as I had never done one before, I used Titanias Fortune Card 36 card cross spread :) I wish you all well!

Mickey1

Join

Very good idea. always want to learn more possibillities in card meanings than my own meanings.
I'd like to join.

Lee

Study group is suspended to give folks a chance to (hopefully) post to the latest card threads. See the Study Group Index Thread to find the threads.

-- Lee, Lenormand Moderator

ronspolar

Lenormand Study Group

I am combining her 'contextual meanings" of each card for each other card in the deck. Its taking a long time but I would be willing to share. I would really like to get a Lenormand Study Group going in western suburbs of Minneapolis. I can be reached at: (email address deleted by moderator - please use PM). Thanks for trying to put this together.

Rayo

This is very interesting! I'm going to join and hope the group will continue.

Lee

I just finished going through all the card chapters in detail with a highlighter and pulling many of the listed meanings into my own "cheat sheet." I've gone through that exercise before, but this time my sheet will be much more inclusive, with the meanings categorized by concept rather than by question type as in the book. This kind of gathering and filtering process is a great way to interact with and learn the meanings, and while my cheat sheet will actually be four or five sheets, at least that will be much more handy than looking up the meanings in that big unwieldy book.

Rachel Pollack describes learning to read with the RWS by performing her readings with a copy of Eden Gray's book in one hand, and I'm starting to think that kind of thing may be necessary if one really wants to learn Rana's approach to the cards.

During this latest trip through the book, I've been struck anew by Rana's ability to combine the concepts of the cards to come up with amazingly precise and nuanced meanings. She has a kind of genius for it, and I'm sure this is the key to her success as a reader. Although in the past I felt the best path for beginners was to memorize a few keywords, I now feel that the best way by far to learn Lenormand is to take Rana's book and really dive in and study and interact with and live with her card chapters, and follow along with her reading examples to see how she puts the meanings together. And don't skip over her "Personal Stories" sections, those often contain the most valuable insights.

In many of the posts in the forum lately, as well as in PMs I've been receiving from some members, I'm seeing a trend of people memorizing very basic and limited meanings for the cards, and then jumping in with all kinds of advanced techniques -- houses, knighting, etc. I hate to sound like I'm telling people what to do, but I really do feel that whatever meanings one chooses to use -- traditional, sort-of-traditional, or completely personal -- we're a lot better off if we spend the time to learn those meanings in depth and then concentrate on the art of combining them, rather than depend on advanced techniques to add back in the nuance and depth that we've left out of the card meanings.

Rana says, "Keep it easy and simple," and I feel this is the best advice. As I suggested in another thread, the advanced techniques should be used judiciously (or not at all) when we're just starting out. At bottom, the purpose of advanced techniques is to illuminate a card by finding new cards to add into the mix. But there is already a way in a GT to add new cards in - simply look at the adjacent cards in the spread. Depending on which GT (9x4 or 8x4+4) you use, and where the cards fall, any card will have between one and eight adjacent cards. Do we really need houses or knighting or mirroring to add yet more cards to consider? At what point do additional cards cease adding meaning and start just being a big gloppy mess?

Obviously I have my own bias for simplicity versus complexity, but I think it's relevant in a discussion of Rana's book, because while she discusses and explains all the advanced techniques, I think it's fair to say she doesn't seem very enthusiastic about most of them and says she only uses them judiciously (her chaining houses technique being a notable exception).

Fiona_

I have Rana's book, I've also started to re-read it and take out notes, especially the meanings for the GT, and I would love to participate in this study group.
Thanks.