OSHO Zen Tarot

Rubycon

I have been looking at many different decks as to where to start and I like Osho and just wondered what everyone here thinks of this deck. I am just starting tarot and I don't know which deck to start out with. I have a few Osho books and know his teachings well but I don't know if I should start with this deck or not. This is why I joined Aeclectic primarily. How do you like it and if not what do you dislike about it?

Thanks.

Thoughtful

The Osho Zen is a tarot that people here either love or hate, so you will get a very diverse set of opinions! l have had mine quite a while l like it and it has given me good readings. Its not quite the conventional RWS style and l know people have had problems coming to terms with it especially with Clouds (swords) because it differs from usual RWS and Rainbows because they are represented as Rainbow and not the conventional Pentacles. To me these are minor issues. Every tarot brings something new or different.
As you have the background Osho knowledge it will be familiar to you. l see no reason why you cannot start out with this deck. The images are beautifully portrayed and colourful with lots of small details that add to the reading. The accompanying book goes in to great depth with each card. There are spreads in the back and a glossary of symbols.
If the images attract and draw you go for it, that would be a good starting point in itself. There is nothing l personally dislike about it.

danieljuk

if you want a first deck, I would not choose the Osho Zen. It's too different to normal tarot structure! like Ana said, it's very very close to being an oracle, it shares only the tarot structure and some card ideas. I really love the deck but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner, you need to really know the tarot structure and ideas before getting it. The suits are so different to normal tarot and some of the cards. I find it helps me to refer to the cards back to the tarot I know and even then it can get tricky!

If you want a first deck I recommend a Rider Waite Smith (RWS) deck, it's such a tarot classic. You might hate it and find a different tarot deck but it has great imagery to learn the basics with. Here is the site's list of the best tarot decks for beginners right here, have a browse through it sometime. Get the Osho later on in your studies :)

edited to clarify: the deck is gorgeous and love it but it probably has the most confusing structure system of any tarot deck I own! that is the tricky part of it :)

Cenozoic

The Osho Zen deck has given me some great readings.

In a way, I did start out with the Osho Zen deck, even without prior knowledge of tarot. I used to go on the Osho Zen website and get those online readings there. I didn't even know they were tarot cards! :D But the illustrations and keywords on the cards made everything easy to read with. I never thought I'd get into tarot though, yet here I am years later, with a physical copy of the Osho Zen deck in my hands.

The only trouble are probably courts, since they go by like a compass direction that are symbolized by arrows. I think this is how it goes: Kings are North ^ Queens are South v Knights are East < and Pages are West > And I hope I got that right. They do get confusing!

The deck kind of goes in it's own direction, like the Aces are the highest card in the minors (at least they keep reading that way) and are depicted as having a blank symbol instead of a number or something saying Ace. There is also an extra major card called The Master, that also has a blank symbol. And the suits are different from the ones in traditional tarot. But if you've read Osho books and know his teachings, then I'm sure you'll like the deck itself.

Southerngem65

Too weird that this would come up today. This deck is being delivered to my house today. It's my first "Non-Traditional" tarot. I really love the imagery, though, so I am really excited to get it. I really know nothing about Osho Zen, so I am glad I started with a standard Rider Waite deck. However, I believe that you will use (and learn from) what you are drawn to. If you are drawn to this deck, give it a try.

Citrin

Honestly, even though I like the Osho Zen it is not a deck I'd recommend to a beginner... If you intend to only get into that deck, because you love Osho's teachings, then yeah, it might be something for you. But if you want to learn about TAROT CARDS, not so sure it's a good first deck.

I actually love the images in this deck, but for some reason I've always had a hard time reading with it. Not sure why... Maybe ´cause the minor arcana confuses me with its' different take on the elements.

JoLister

I use both a traditional tarot deck & the Osho deck together in my readings, I came across the Osho Zen tarot fairly early on in my tarot exploration & was attracted to the images, colours etc so bought them to work with.
I very much think in 'tarot' & it took me a while to relate all the cards back to the traditional decks but it pretty much fits & makes sense. As a first deck it is an interesting choice, it could be a good first deck but could easily lead you towards oracle decks rather than tarot.
If your interest is in getting to know more about the tarot I would suggest Morgan Greer or New Palladini as a first deck, as the Rider Waite can seem a little 'plain' at first, if you like colour, vibrancy & are looking for a more illustrated deck.
I personally would suggest - if you have the money - getting a recommended beginners deck that you feel drawn to image wise & the Osho Zen... That way you get to know them both, can make comparisons & see how much depth you can find in each. Not knowing any Osho teachings or having read any books I find the traditional tarot much deeper & having broader range but still like my Osho for specific issues.

Pam O

The Osho Zen was one of my first 2 decks. The other was a RWS clone. I constantly was looking up meanings of the RWS in a book. The Osho ZeN was a deck I could get meaningful readings with no book, and that was so thrilling for me. It felt like such a big step to be able to get info intuitively!

So personally, I really enjoyed the Osho Zen deck as a beginner, along with my RWS clone...

Good luck with your adventure, and best wishes listening to your intuitive wisdom as much as possible with your Tarot journey.

Laura Borealis

I have been looking at many different decks as to where to start and I like Osho and just wondered what everyone here thinks of this deck. I am just starting tarot and I don't know which deck to start out with. I have a few Osho books and know his teachings well but I don't know if I should start with this deck or not. This is why I joined Aeclectic primarily. How do you like it and if not what do you dislike about it?

Thanks.

Maybe it will help to ask yourself a couple of questions.

Are you interested in learning to read tarot - as in, you want to learn the traditional meanings? (Bearing in mind there are different traditions, but that's another topic)

Or are you looking for a deck that you'll be able to learn easily and read with?

I think a lot of the above advice about not using the Osho as a beginner's deck is good, IF you are looking to learn tarot in general. But if you're just looking for a deck that will resonate with you and that you can use for readings, the Osho might be perfect for you.