tarot apps - what is your favourite/least preferred and why

shadowdancer

I have had a look back through the forum, and couldn't find that many postings on the merits of tarot apps. Apologies if there has been shedloads - I honestly didn't see many.

So, I am curious:

Which is your tarot app of choice and why. What do you like about it? How often do you use it as opposed to a real deck? (If that makes sense). What would you use it for the most? What would you not use it for?

Which tarot apps have you tried but were disappointed by. What were the shortfalls of that particular app?

If you could say in your reply if it is for ipad only / android only / both systems, so we can go have a look at some of the ones mentioned. :)

My current app is tarot touche. I like it a lot because you have the facility to create your own spreads, add your own notes to the cards, and generally change a few settings. For example, I have started daily draws on it, and have chosen to save them for a period of 6 months so I can look back and look for trends etc.

The shortcoming is the fact there is only one deck, one backdrop. I would love for there to be an option of reversals, where I can a) choose the amount of cards I want reversed prior to shuffling, and b) the card or cards reversed differs for each reading. I have seen apps where there are a LOT of reversed cards, assuming that mode is selected and it really does cause me to feel uncomfortable with the reading when shedloads appear - more than I would expect in any of my readings.

So there you go....

any other thoughts??

I am aware the Houswives tarot is now an app for ipad (and I am an android user so you can fairly assume I muttered under my breath somewhat...lol). I contacted the publisher to see if they would have a zombie tarot app in the pipeline, but it is not likely to be forthcoming any time soon.

shadowdancer

UPDATE: If anyone has the tarot touche, and would like to see it enhanced in any, the developer is looking to do so. They are taking feedback / suggestions and currently reviewing them, with a view to making some changes - they hope for the new year.

It was heartening to actually have a reply from the developer of an app, and the reply came with in 48 hours of my initial contact. They really do want to make this a comprehensive tarot app, taking into account as many requests as if realistically possible.

Davina

Sar

How many apps are available for us android users?

shadowdancer

If you check the google store where android apps are shown, there are surprisingly quite a few.

I did have the free version of galaxy tarot app for android, but found the tarot touche better, so purchase the full version of that. I think what put me off galaxy tarot was the fact it tried to be too much. I do not want to have links with astrology / runes / crystals / chakra / i-ching etc. I want it to be primarily a tarot app. If I want to have a rune app, or i-ching app I would look for those specifically.

Also, the fact the reversal option is possible but is extremely limited. One aspect being, there are no key words for reversals, should they appear. TBH I would not be bothered by that, but those new to tarot and are using this app may find that a bit strange. Why would you use the upright meaning for the reversal?

This is why I am asking the question. I am curious as to what other apps are being used, what the users think of them, and what platform it is available for.

Davina

Winterchild

Apps

I have Tarot of Dreams and a Fairy Oracle.... but I really don't use them... I cannot get on with them. I like the cards in my hand..... It took me ages to read books on my phone, but they are different.

But, having said that, I do enjoy those with the ability to zoom in on the details. One deck I would love to see an app of (because I think Egypt would make it extremely funky and wild) is Tarot of the Silicon Dawn :)

shadowdancer

Silicon Dawn tarot would be interesting as an app, but I am not sure how it would work, bearing in mind some of the cards come to life due to the coating they have / angle required to show the work?

I am still hoping zombie tarot does become an app. Housewives already exists, so the basis is already there. Fingers crossed.

Davina

Winterchild

Silicon Dawn tarot would be interesting as an app, but I am not sure how it would work, bearing in mind some of the cards come to life due to the coating they have / angle required to show the work?

I am still hoping zombie tarot does become an app. Housewives already exists, so the basis is already there. Fingers crossed.

Davina

Oh wow the cards could move!! This is why I think it would be soooo awesome... Egypt are you listening :)

momentarylight

There is a LoScabeo app which is quite clunky. I purchased it because I have LS decks that I love but I think the LS app developer tried to do much with this one. It is very, very clunky. I deleted the app after a while.

In my experience, the best developer is 'The Fool's Dog'. He has done a few decks now, including some in-demand recent ones.

The Osho Zen app is excellent.

The 'Tarot of the Crone' is a must-have as well but I think it was one of the earlier ones and the use of a grey background for text and the sized of the text is a disadvantage.

Winterchild

Crone App

There is a LoScabeo app which is quite clunky. I purchased it because I have LS decks that I love but I think the LS app developer tried to do much with this one. It is very, very clunky. I deleted the app after a while.

In my experience, the best developer is 'The Fool's Dog'. He has done a few decks now, including some in-demand recent ones.

The Osho Zen app is excellent.

The 'Tarot of the Crone' is a must-have as well but I think it was one of the earlier ones and the use of a grey background for text and the sized of the text is a disadvantage.

Thanks for this...... I didn't know there was an app for Tarot of the Crone.... I don't have the deck but it is on my wishlist :) Apps are good for reference if someone reads for you with a deck you don't own.