The Minoan Tarot by Laura Perry

LauraPerry

Hi there,

Almost two years ago I got the urge to start some artwork in the style of the ancient Minoans and as soon as I finished the first piece, it looked like a Tarot card to me. So I began work on a deck, not realizing how HUGE a project it was going to be. I used only the colors and symbols that are found within the frescoes, pottery and other artwork from ancient Crete. I included Linear B writing on each card, using words that had something to do with the meaning of the card. I created four suits using symbology from ancient Crete (Daggers, Rhytons, Labryses and Horns) as well as the Major Arcana. The Minor Arcana cards have full artwork, not pips.

Hundreds of hours and much hair-pulling later, I ended up with a full deck plus a full-length book. I recently sent it off to a prospective publisher, but I'm also considering having the deck and book printed myself. I'm honestly not sure what the best avenue is these days.

You can find out the basics about the deck on my website here: http://www.lauraperryauthor.com/#!tarot/c21kz

I also made a Facebook page for the deck and have uploaded the artwork for all the cards (minus the borders that I recently created): https://www.facebook.com/MinoanTarot

I should note that when I started on this project, I did an online search for 'Minoan Tarot' and all I could find was a note that Ellen Lorenzi-Prince had created a Major Arcana-only Minoan-style deck that she used in workshops but was not selling. During the time that I was creating my deck, she was also finishing hers and has since put it into production. I have been in contact with her and she's cool with my deck. Our art styles are very different so I'm hoping people who are interested in All Things Minoan will buy both. I don't know if I'll change the title to my deck or not - Ms. Lorenzi-Prince suggested that I don't need to, since you can't copyright a title and there are other instances of multiple Tarot decks having the same name. I'm not sure I want to keep the same name, but I have yet to come up with anything better.

Anyway, that's the project as it stands now. I hope you enjoy the artwork. If you have any suggestions about publication, I'm all ears.

Thanks and blessings,
Laura

truelighth

I just had a quick look at your cards and I like what I see. You most definitely have another style then Ellen Lorenzi-Prince. But what a coincidence that you both have been working on a Minoan themed tarot deck. Glad you are both cool with it.

Anyway, I really like what I see and I would buy this one too. It will also be interesting to see the differences in interpretation. Just reading about it, I like the fact that you have included the Linear B and the weapons of ancient Crete in your deck. And your art is lovely.

LauraPerry

Thank you so much for the kind words! I tend to think that since Ms. Lorenzi-Prince and I have been working on Tarot with a similar theme, that means the world needs Minoan Tarot decks. :)

If you look through the photos posted on the deck's Facebook page, you'll see that I've included the interpretations of many of the cards in the descriptions. The book I've written to go with the deck is pretty large - about the same size as the book that accompanies the Sacred Circle Tarot - so there is a full explanation of the deck's system as well as the interpretation of each card. I've also organized not just the Fool's Journey but a journey through each suit as well (that was at the suggestion of a friend).

Aeric

I've been reading Ariadne's Thread and I'm very enamoured with Minoan culture and spirituality at the moment. I'm receiving Lorenzi-Prince's deck but I look forward to this one as well.

I think the inclusion of Linear B makes this deck especially noteworthy. I'm very happy that you sought actual Mycenaean/Greek words for the written meanings rather than a simple English-to-Linear B letter exchange. I immediately noticed on the 8 of Daggers the word "ereutera," the forerunner of the Greek name "Eleuthera," Free.

I look forward to the deck's publication!

JayBee

There appears to be a minoan synchronicity of sorts going on. In addition to the two tarots, another artist, Jenai May, has been developing her Minoan Oracle for some time and is almost done. Her Facebook page showcases her work and progress: https://www.facebook.com/minoanoracle.

(I knew of Ellen Lorenzi-Prince's tarot, but I wasn't aware of your own Minoan tarot or your writing. I look forward to checking out both now.

LauraPerry

Wow, there is definitely some kind of synchronicity going on. And all three Minoan-themed decks (mine, the Lorenzi-Prince deck and the oracle) are different but they all do a great job of catching the Minoan 'vibe.' It's amazing how different artists can interpret things in such original ways and still be on the same wavelength. :)

LauraPerry

I've recently created borders for my deck's artwork and have begun posting samples of the bordered cards on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MinoanTarot I've gotten a positive response to the borders so they're a definite addition to the artwork.

Aeric

The borders definitely make the finished cards pop. I like that the Majors embody the four colours of the Minors plus white. The choice of textures for each of the Minor suits fits really well too.

LauraPerry

Thanks very much Aeric! Like the card designs, the border designs are all taken from Minoan art. You might recognize the Majors border from the famous Bull Leaping fresco from Knossos.