Tarot of Prague Café Club – III The Empress

Jewel-ry

This is a beautiful card and most of it has been covered above but I always think she is going to get up and wrap me up in that big cosy blanket. She is offering comfort too!

I found this on the internet St. John, the beloved disciple of Jesus and Mary, was privileged to behold a wonderful sign in Heaven: "A woman clothed with the sun, and the moon was under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars." This gave rise to the Crown of Twelve Stars which symbolises motherhood

Just loved the description :)

RedMaple

punchinella said:
Regarding the position of the hands, would it be safe to say they're over the heart chakra? This is interesting, because my instinctive point of focus for 'Empress' in the abstract is usually the belly. On consideration, though, heart adds another dimension, & is probably 'truer' in the sense of being more universal.

The heart is often a womb symbol as well -- so this card combines the heart, crown and womb chakras. I love that.

baba-prague

This conversation seems to be bringing up a great deal about this card, so I'll just throw in that one thing that attracted us to using this particular figure is that she does not quite seem "Western" - in fact her dress implies that she could be Indian or Asian. I loved the idea of including this figure from warmer and more fruitful climates - especially as I've seen her many times when she is looking out on to icy and snowy Prague streets. There is something about her that brings warmth (in many senses).

Sophie

baba-prague said:
This conversation seems to be bringing up a great deal about this card, so I'll just throw in that one thing that attracted us to using this particular figure is that she does not quite seem "Western" - in fact her dress implies that she could be Indian or Asian. I loved the idea of including this figure from warmer and more fruitful climates - especially as I've seen her many times when she is looking out on to icy and snowy Prague streets. There is something about her that brings warmth (in many senses).

Do you know, as soon as I saw this golden figure, I thought - she's Byzantine! Warm, sensual, complicated too - in an interesting way. She doesn't give me easy answers, there is something of the mystery of the High Priestess that has rubbed off on her, and yet she seems to radiate and exude light. A female sun. I get from her a message of optimism and sensuality, but also of the road that leads from sexuality to spirit.

In an alchemical sense, I think of the rubedo.