Llewellyn Tarot vs Llewellyn's Classic Tarot

sevenfires

Llewellyn Classic follows RWS tradition strictly and is easy to read, so that could be a good reason to recommend it. I found the people in the cards look too much like each other though. That bothered me more than I thought it would.

I really liked this deck and was going to get it, but this is the one thing that stopped me. It really bothered me, the women in the deck especially all seem to have the same face.

Yellow

Hi everyone

I thought I would report that I ended up getting the Llewellyn's Classic Tarot in the first instance. I like the slightly smaller size of the cards and the smooth cardstock (which is the older Llewellyn card stock). I also like the blue tint that runs through this deck.

Having said that, I'm finding that I'm not too inspired by the artwork itself. I like the fact that it stayed so close to the RWS symbolism but it has a very cartoon-like character to it, and not in a way that strikes me as particularly interesting, so can't see myself connecting to it.

I don't like keeping decks I don't use, so I'll see how I feel about it in the next few days and I may have to find a way to move it on and give the Llewellyn deck a go instead.

Beancrew49

Hi everyone

I thought I would report that I ended up getting the Llewellyn's Classic Tarot in the first instance. I like the slightly smaller size of the cards and the smooth cardstock (which is the older Llewellyn card stock). I also like the blue tint that runs through this deck.

Having said that, I'm finding that I'm not too inspired by the artwork itself. I like the fact that it stayed so close to the RWS symbolism but it has a very cartoon-like character to it, and not in a way that strikes me as particularly interesting, so can't see myself connecting to it.

I don't like keeping decks I don't use, so I'll see how I feel about it in the next few days and I may have to find a way to move it on and give the Llewellyn deck a go instead.

I got LLewellyn Classic this Christmas. I agree about the card stock and the bottom border. This deck shuffles so well. Not such a big fan of the back, but it's not horrible.

I was able to pick up the deck with no study and do some great readings since it sticks so closely to the RWS system. It is a little cartooney, but at this point it doesn't bother me.

Though they have the same name in them, the LLewellyn Classic is a far different deck than the Llewellyn. I'm happy to have both in my collection. One feels fun and vibrant, the other is dark and much more serious. I'm sure there are situations where you would prefer one or the other. Maybe the classic could be used for a younger querent?

magicjack

Hi everyone

I felt the same way as you do about this deck but I would suggest keeping it longer than a few days. I know it looks a little boring at first and the faces are strange ect. ..ect. ..but the shuffle is nice and nice size too. It's got a good feeling to it. I'm one that actually likes the backs. I really like the colors in this deck. I like to use this deck when I get bored with the RWS. In fact, I'm been away from my home for 3 months now and wish I would have brought it with me. You may be different than me. It takes me a couple of months if not a couple of years to figure out if I really like a deck or not. I grab it when I want something simple and different. It's working for me.

Lee

I like the Llewellyn Classic. The artist has a distinctive style which takes some getting used to, but there are a lot of imaginative touches which I like, and the pictures are colorful and dynamic. I certainly do think this could be a great reading deck.

Yellow

Thanks Lee, Magicjack and Beancrew, yes, I think I am going to give this deck a chance. I may have to get used to the art style, but I really like its simplicity and colours and it is a pleasure to handle. I am also going through an eight of cups life-phase, and I really like the artist's depiction of the eight of cups so I'm keeping it.

I decided I will get the Llewellyn too though, so my whole original dilemma is now officially out of the window! :)

Beancrew49

Thanks Lee, Magicjack and Beancrew, yes, I think I am going to give this deck a chance. I may have to get used to the art style, but I really like its simplicity and colours and it is a pleasure to handle. I am also going through an eight of cups life-phase, and I really like the artist's depiction of the eight of cups so I'm keeping it.

I decided I will get the Llewellyn too though, so my whole original dilemma is now officially out of the window! :)

I say great decision. This way you have a more vibrant RWS deck and a unique watercolor deck. You can't be mad at diversity!