Amazon Tarot

Aeric

Today I was shown a female empowerment deck I'd neve seen before. The user said she was gifted it from an estate sale by the author and she said it was called the "Amazon Tarot." Naturally searching for this deck by titl turns up thousands of unwanted results, so I need help tracking it. It's not Thea's Tarot, which I own.

It is a black and white line art deck with some photographic cards. The backs are deep purple with a labrys double axe.

The court cards are Child, Companion, Amazon, and Queen. The Amazon of Pentacles is a female centaur wielding an axe. The Queen of Pentacles sits on a crescent moon throne and has Yods dripping from the moon in the background.

The cards have keywords as well as astrological correspondence symbols to the left and right of the keyword.

The Fool is called "0/XXII"

Strength is called "Cowrie."

6 of Cups is a photograph of a beach that angles horizontally and called 'Insight."

9 of Swords has a mirrored angry face and is called "Rape."

8 of Swords is called Crisis.

It could be there were only a few copies of this deck made but the owner had no idea.

fractalgranny

Today I was shown a female empowerment deck I'd neve seen before. The user said she was gifted it from an estate sale by the author and she said it was called the "Amazon Tarot." Naturally searching for this deck by titl turns up thousands of unwanted results, so I need help tracking it. It's not Thea's Tarot, which I own.

It is a black and white line art deck with some photographic cards. The backs are deep purple with a labrys double axe.

The court cards are Child, Companion, Amazon, and Queen. The Amazon of Pentacles is a female centaur wielding an axe. The Queen of Pentacles sits on a crescent moon throne and has Yods dripping from the moon in the background.

The cards have keywords as well as astrological correspondence symbols to the left and right of the keyword.

The Fool is called "0/XXII"

Strength is called "Cowrie."

6 of Cups is a photograph of a beach that angles horizontally and called 'Insight."

9 of Swords has a mirrored angry face and is called "Rape."

8 of Swords is called Crisis.

It could be there were only a few copies of this deck made but the owner had no idea.

this one?

http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/dbsearchengine.php?search_type=blob&pageenter=0

apparently thea's tarot is heavily influenced by it http://www.spiralnature.com/culture/she-is-sitting-in-the-night/

and ... i think thea's tarot is going on my wishlist :)

Metafizzypop

I've been looking for this deck for years, and have never been able to find it. It's an old deck, and extremely limited edition. I gave up the search. If I ever did find it, it would probably cost thousands and thousands of dollars. I'd love to have it just because it's rare and weird, but I'm not holding my breath.

Aeric

That's the one! New Women's Tarot. Quite a nice deck.

gregory

I don't think it was THAT limited - when Comparative Tarot was still up and running there was a discussion of it there - as there were several variations of the cards - and we were all comparing.

I feel a bit odd now - it cost me $15. Way back when. I could make THOUSANDS ?

Aeric

Well according to the owner, it was gifted to her after bought from an estate sale of the author who died. I can't completely verify whether Ms. Potts died, but if so, the deck's very likely not getting re-released. So you have a collector's item worth it to those in the know. Thousands? It's no Ironwing or Greenwood, but three figures could definitely be the start.

gregory

It's the oddest thing how it is some of the decks you would least expect that I bought donkey's years ago that command these prices !

But it may have been one of the other creators who died - it was a collaborative deck. Interesting - was this from a collection being sold in the Hermit's Lamp, by chance ? - I got some fantastic IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND stuff there, from the collection of someone who'd died - but it was a guy, so can't be the SAME collection last year.

The deck was originally The New Women's, aka Hecuba's, and the modified version came out as the Amazon the next year - with added cards and with Susun Weed having left the project to work on her own deck.

Aeric

Ahhh, so it was the Amazon I was looking at, the second retitled edition of New Woman. The owner mentioned extra cards. Thanks!

Now that you mention it it does sound a lot like the Lamp's sale, maybe it was.

gregory

Ahhh, so it was the Amazon I was looking at, the second retitled edition of New Woman. The owner mentioned extra cards. Thanks!

Now that you mention it it does sound a lot like the Lamp's sale, maybe it was.
I can dig out the Comparative comparison - some time..... if you WANT....
I will PM you about the deceased person, as it seems tasteless to do that in public !

dani ela

I was hoping to find something here, but it seems it's gonne, who has it, has it. Period. Lost of decks, another feminist ones etc. Who cares about a deck with drawnings and pictures and horizontal cards if there are so many more coherent decks out there?

It's not printed for 30 years already...

:(

I fell in love with this one:
http://amazonfeminist.tumblr.com/post/21437698607/amazon-tarot-susan-weed
wich I've only been able to find in this tumblr. Beeing a non-monogamist person myself, the image of three lovers feel so right.