The Pagan Tarot for Non-Pagans?

euripides

Someone mentioned Gina Pace's Pagan Tarot as a modern deck. Looking at the illustrations, I felt I might connect with it - there seems to be a story around a main character, who appears quite 'relate-able', and I rather liked the contemporary settings. Normally I don't like 'comic book' or outlined style illustrations, but it seems appropriate for these - perhaps reminds me of the Archie comics I used to read. I liked the idea of connecting the symbolism to the mundane world.

I'm an atheist, not pagan, but have a rough general knowledge of paganism, having explored various pagan, witchcraft & wiccan ideas a while back.

Do you think it might be suitable for non-pagans, or is it too specifically esoteric?

I'd like to see the Star, Empress, and Wheel of Fortune cards, if anyone has them.

gregory

I'm not pagan and I use it. Not that that says much.

All the cards are here -

http://www.albideuter.de/html/pagan.html

- click on the ones you want to see (NB this is one of the few multi-card sites that Solandia allows here as the owner has permission for everything.)

Patrick Booker

I don't have the physical deck, but I like it - there is something approachable about it.

Patrick

feynrir

Do you think it might be suitable for non-pagans, or is it too specifically esoteric?

I don't think it's overly esoteric as it is just a little too hokey for my tastes. It does have beautiful artwork; I had it and tried as I might to connect with it, we just didn't mesh. Please note that I am in love with the Cannon-Reed Witches Tarot and the Robin Wood Tarot, which strike high on the hokey meter for many, so everything's to personal taste.

If you are drawn to it I say go for it. It is really a very practical read for a Pagan deck, which may be to your nontheistic inclination :)

Oh also, know for a fact there are a couple of Youtube videos that exhibit all the cards! You can view your desired cards that way.

Patrick Booker

I can relate to it on a psychological level with this young woman combining her spiritual path with her everyday life. I find it rather endearing, and I wouldn't describe myself as a pagan. If the story comes alive, I don't think that your belief is that important. If I had it I think I could make it work for a time, although I suspect I might tire of it.

Patrick

euripides

I'm not pagan and I use it. Not that that says much.

All the cards are here -

Yeah, given the symbolism of many decks - there is a pagan connection in most; though the robed figures strike me as rather Wiccan, and there's depiction of ceremonies.

It's frustrating - some cards I really adore - the chariot, some of the 'sitting around at home' type cards. Some - the Fool, for example - I don't like at all. I think I'll add it to the wishlist, but I'm not quite as excited about it. Still I think it might be worth adding to the collection when the exchange rate improves.

I need something between this and the Housewives' Tarot - without the latter's acid humour (I do love it, but sometimes it isn't what I need).

euripides

I can relate to it on a psychological level with this young woman combining her spiritual path with her everyday life. I find it rather endearing, and I wouldn't describe myself as a pagan. If the story comes alive, I don't think that your belief is that important. If I had it I think I could make it work for a time, although I suspect I might tire of it.

Patrick

Yeah this is what I liked about it. But yeah, limited. I think it's the sort of thing I might pick up for certain readings.

A while back we had a thread about - what did we call them ? I can't remember - but decks made up of a mix of other decks. I'd kind of like to do that. It'd be so cool if the major card companies had a 'print on demand' where you could choose each card from all of their editions, but have matching backs.

Barleywine

I haven't looked at it closely before because it seemed kind of insubstantial. But it has enough that is "timeless" about it that I could probably get on with it well, even though I don't much like comic-book art. Many of the cards have a nice feel to them. If I owned it, I would probably pull it out for younger sitters.

Honeysun

Hiya,

I have this deck :) And yes, you can absolutely use it. Some cards are really mundane and not "witchy" at all, the imagery can be very relatable and I find it helps me to interpret the cards :)
However, the deck feels a bit "cold" and you might be confused with the Initiate and Elder cards, as it isn't specified in the lwb which is Queen and which is King, and the illustrations can be misleading. Therefore you might have problems looking for help online, unless you decide which is which. But of course this is a minor problem.

Deanne

I'm not familiar with this particular deck so can't comment on it. But I will say that my very first deck, and the one I connect with most strongly, is the Witches Tarot by Ellen Cannon Reed. I am not a Witch or Wiccan and know very little about those beliefs. But the deck works wonderfully for me any way :)

Just do what feels right to you and it'll all work out.