Ankh back Rider Waite

Dryope

I just found this Rider Waite deck with ankh back...

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu348/D_Purpurea/ankhback001.jpg

I thought that I lost it years ago but it 'reappeared'.
I'm really curious about the origion of this deck; when and where it was printed and who published it?

Does anyone here recognize this deck?
I hope someone can tell me a bit more about it!
Thank you in advance :)

The crowned one

Is the ankh upside down? the back looks like a Dutch version.

magpie9

There's an Ankh on a pink background on the University Press edition, published in 1972..the pink looks kind of horizontally stripey.

Ooops, nevermind, that's not it. No idea.

Dryope

Is the ankh upside down? the back looks like a Dutch version.

I found the deck which you mean online (on this page: http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/Cardbacks.html ), the back looks exactly the same only, in my deck the Ankh is not upside down and it is not a black and white version of the Rider Waite like the one with the reversed ankh on the back.
It could be the same publisher though... to bad there's not any more information about the publisher or about the year in which the deck was published on the above website.

Thank you anyway :)
Other tips are still welcome!

KariRoad

There's an Ankh on a pink background on the University Press edition, published in 1972..the pink looks kind of horizontally stripey.

Ooops, nevermind, that's not it. No idea.
University BOOKS please.

Dryope

I just found this on the forum archive ( http://www.tarotforum.net/archive/index.php/t-45893.html) :

There was also a B&W edition of the Rider Waite published in a fairly large size (not huge, like the current USG "giant" edition, but larger than the current USG "standard" edition) published in the Netherlands at one time. The card titles were printed in red, but everything else appears to have been reproduced as per the illustrations in from the Waite book. I'm not sure when it was published (truelighth might, if you want to PM her), but I think it was from sometime in the 80s.

I did indeed tell Coredil about this deck (which probably sparked the interest and this thread). Just in case anyone else is curious: the Dutch B&W Rider Waite was published by Bert Bakker, Den Haag in the 1980's. There are two versions.. one on thicker cardstock and not shiny and one on slightly thinner cardstock and those are shiney. I think they may have been printed later.

I have no idea if they even had the right to print those decks, but then, there is no copyright on the B&W images from the Key so I guess that is why they did it. The size of the cards is more or less the same as the normal RWS deck. Titles are printed in Red and in Dutch. Back of the cards are white with a red border and a red Ankh.

There is a colored version of this deck as well with the same titles, but strangely enough it was printed by Van Veen Utrecht and not Bert Bakker. Ah well.. it probably is a knock-off, but a very interesting deck to have. I really discovered it by accident and am very happy that I did.

Gracie2k

Maybe but what if they wanted to have the ANKH as an original back to it, but thought it was too basic. Maybe they wanted it to have some of the Egyptian symbolism there but, chose to make it more modern instead?
Just a Thought.

magpie9

:D falling about laughing:D:D