Those Same Sex Cards

Le Fanu

I know this is probably a really obvious question, but how do you use the extra Man/Woman cards in some contemporary Lenormand decks?

I mean, if I am doing a gay reading then my Grand Tableau will have one extra card after I have dealt them all out. And the idea that the extra Man card - if reading for gay men - supplements the Woman card (i.e you take that out) doesn't make sense to me either because a female might feature in the reading. And I don't want to have a woman represented by the Snake as a woman might feature in the situation who is not a negative influence...

I must admit, when these extra cards were first featured, I thought it was a great idea but I have never been able to work out how to use them logically in the Grand Tableau. Now I find that if I'm reading for a gay male relationship, I use the Rider to represent the other. Haven't read on a female gay relationship to date so can't say how I'd do that!

Maybe I'm missing something...

DownUnderNZer

When it comes to "relationship" or "marriage" questions/topics it is usually the MAN and WOMAN cards representing that situation anyhow, so why should the WOMAN come up as anything else if it is not the sitter or partner? Dog/Bouquet/Child/Bear can all come up to fit others depending on what system.

So, I reckon when doing a reading for gay couples, exchange the WOMAN for the EXTRA MAN UNLESS it is a reading that has nothing to do with the relationship whatsoever.

DND :)

snowmoon

I know this is probably a really obvious question, but how do you use the extra Man/Woman cards in some contemporary Lenormand decks?

I mean, if I am doing a gay reading then my Grand Tableau will have one extra card after I have dealt them all out. And the idea that the extra Man card - if reading for gay men - supplements the Woman card (i.e you take that out) doesn't make sense to me either because a female might feature in the reading. And I don't want to have a woman represented by the Snake as a woman might feature in the situation who is not a negative influence...

I must admit, when these extra cards were first featured, I thought it was a great idea but I have never been able to work out how to use them logically in the Grand Tableau. Now I find that if I'm reading for a gay male relationship, I use the Rider to represent the other. Haven't read on a female gay relationship to date so can't say how I'd do that!

Maybe I'm missing something...

hi, i have one deck with extra cards. the book came with the deck, use all the 38 cards in general. switch the woman card to man card, so you will get 2 man card , use 36 cards for GT only.

Le Fanu

When it comes to "relationship" or "marriage" questions/topics it is usually the MAN and WOMAN cards representing that situation anyhow, so why should the WOMAN come up as anything else if it is not the sitter or partner? Dog/Bouquet/Child/Bear can all come up to fit others depending on what system.

So, I reckon when doing a reading for gay couples, exchange the WOMAN for the EXTRA MAN UNLESS it is a reading that has nothing to do with the relationship whatsoever.

But Andy Boroveshengra writes of card 29 "Should the querent be homosexual, the Lady will still stand for someone important in his life such as a sister or female friend." That's why I feel reluctant to take it out.

DownUnderNZer

Hard really as the GT is usually only 36 cards - that only leaves "WOMAN" or "MAN" to represent "OTHER" as "GAY/LESBIAN" and especially if the EXTRA CARDS are not used.

If "people" are being looked at it might be vital having the "woman" card, but not perhaps for focus areas like: Work/Career/Finances/Travel/Past Life etc.

Tricky one really although "Bear" (mother/grandmother) or "Dog" (Friend/Family/Colleague) could come in as "Woman" or "Man" and so could "Bouquet" as a "younger woman".

Maybe Andy B does not deal with "gay" situations. Or does he?

But Andy Boroveshengra writes of card 29 "Should the querent be homosexual, the Lady will still stand for someone important in his life such as a sister or female friend." That's why I feel reluctant to take it out.

Astraea

Andy uses the Rider as the same-sex lover of the Man, and the Snake as the same-sex lover of the Woman. This is what I do, and it works well. Using the extra people cards complicates the GT beyond what is necessary.

Edited to add: If you want to use the extra Man and Woman cards, I recommend removing whichever card you don't need from the 36-card pack, and replacing it with the extra - e.g., in a reading for a gay man, remove the Woman card from the pack and substitute the extra Man card. The people cards are personal significators and don't need to be used in any other capacity - stick to the 36-card GT.

DownUnderNZer

I like TWO MEN or TWO WOMEN, so the extras.

However, the only gay people I read for are my nephew and one other. No lesbians yet. Sometimes just to bother him though I will use the WOMAN card to represent him. :D

I do not know about "Rider" or "Snake" as they have other meanings associated with them unlike the MAN, WOMAN,.... even DOG. I prefer the "extras".

ADDING: If cards like MOON, ANCHOR, FOX, TREE can be used as focus cards for topics like WORK, MONEY, HEALTH then it is possible to use any card as whatever really like RIDER or SNAKE etc.

Andy uses the Rider as the same-sex lover of the Man, and the Snake as the same-sex lover of the Woman. This is what I do, and it works well. Using the extra people cards complicates the GT beyond what is necessary.

Edited to add: If you want to use the extra Man and Woman cards, I recommend removing whichever card you don't need from the 36-card pack, and replacing it with the extra - e.g., in a reading for a gay man, remove the Woman card from the pack and substitute the extra Man card. The people cards are personal significators and don't need to be used in any other capacity - stick to the 36-card GT.