Gilded Reverie Lenormand

cirom

OK, thanks. The reason I'm asking isn't just for possible direction and orientation of the imagery. Its because one of the publishers is interested, but wanted to know which "school" I would be using for the companion book.

Shade

A beautiful looking deck! I know Lenormandists can be the hardest of the hard core but seeing the Rider I didn't spend any time thinking about whether a naked woman on a carousel horse was any more or less appropriate than an 18th Century gentleman on a horse.

What I have enjoyed about Lenormand decks is that since we don't get too enmeshed in esoteric symbolism - i.e. "What is the cosmic significance of the bird being yellow rather than grey like in my last deck?" and just allow the pictures to trigger the traditional meanings. The Rider is the Rider, whatever that means to your school of thought. I wouldn't create a new interpretation for the card because she was nearly naked.

I adore decks that have an extra man and woman card and it's useful in more than just gay related readings. When doing a Lenormand spread about the next presidential election it was handy to have a second, different-looking Gentleman card.

tarotlyn

Cirom...here were the questions (choices) from the FB pole:

1.) Traditional systems such as French, German, etc etc
27 votes

2.) Modern meanings that more line up with tarot and sprituality
1 vote

3.) Neither I just go with what I feel at the time
1 vote

4.) I'm picking and choosing what I like
2 votes

5.) Meanings? These cards have meanigns? ohhhhh
1 vote

:heart: Lyn

cirom

A beautiful looking deck! I know Lenormandists can be the hardest of the hard core but seeing the Rider I didn't spend any time thinking about whether a naked woman on a carousel horse was any more or less appropriate than an 18th Century gentleman on a horse.

Great news...... especially coming from a hardcore Lenormandist :)

And yes you're so right, there are of course so many other logical reasons for using two male or female cards together in a reading. Just reinforces that doing those extra cards will be worth the effort.

prudence

Cirom...here were the questions (choices) from the FB pole:

1.) Traditional systems such as French, German, etc etc
27 votes

2.) Modern meanings that more line up with tarot and sprituality
1 vote

3.) Neither I just go with what I feel at the time
1 vote

4.) I'm picking and choosing what I like
2 votes

5.) Meanings? These cards have meanigns? ohhhhh
1 vote

:heart: Lyn
Which is about 82%, and would be considered a large majority of the respondents. I'm curious to know which school is the most often used, as I am fairly new to Lenormand decks. I am on the fence about trying to go fully intuitive or pick some form of meanings, and so knowing which school people most often use or find most helpful would at least give me some direction.

As far as the almost naked lady rider, I hope it is not too much to request an equal amount of nearly naked (attractive) men throughout this deck! The imbalance in so many decks lately is getting very old and tired, and that would be a welcome innovation :D

Like Nicky, I am curious to know what role the nudity will be playing in how this deck is read.

cirom

Like Nicky, I am curious to know what role the nudity will be playing in how this deck is read.

Actually quite a minor role. I think there's rather too much emphasis being placed on that one word considering that it will only apply to about three cards. This deck isn't going to be sexual, sensual or some kind of themed pin up deck to appeal to either gender. Its more a case of avoiding the symbolism that can come from how people are dressed than flashing the flesh.

Shade

One thing to note about that poll is the place where it was taken. If I'm not mistaken it comes from the Facebook group "Lenormand Cards Study Group." I think you will probably find that a high percentage of people who join and read a study group about the cards want things to be very traditional. I do think tradition is the general preference in Lenormand but one must consider the source.

prudence

Actually quite a minor role. I think there's rather too much emphasis being placed on that one word considering that it will only apply to about three cards. This deck isn't going to be sexual, sensual or some kind of themed pin up deck to appeal to either gender. Its more a case of avoiding the symbolism that can come from how people are dressed than flashing the flesh.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that a fair balance is achieved in the appeal to both sexes. :)

I'm interested in seeing this deck's completion. I think so far the Ship is my favorite. For some reason it reminds me of the ship in Stardust, minus the dirty blimp holding it up.

Cocobird55

I think the cards are beautiful! I hope that you do continue and publish it -- I would love to buy a copy.

Lee

In my several years of reading posts on Aeclectic, I have come to the conclusion that the "tradition" often spoken of, either in tarot or in Lenormand, is largely illusory. Some folks have a tendency to zero in on one particular deck or set of meanings and regard it as some kind of Golden Age from which we all have fallen, and which must be regained.

The way I see it, decks and reading approaches are in a constant state of evolution, and to regard any one example as a "tradition" is to ignore the long evolutionary road trailing behind and in front of it. That deck/approach that someone may see as the bedrock of traditionalism was itself the result of experimentation and innovation. There are countless examples -- including such mainstays of tradition as any of the various Marseilles decks, not to mention the RWS.

The thing that fascinates me is when some people talk on the one hand about how we must honor tradition yet at the same time cheerfully report that their own approach to the cards, even if it began firmly within a tradition, evolved and changed over time, combining facets from different traditions and even creating entirely new ideas as they appeared in readings.

By the way, starlightexp, what particular tradition are you honoring in your upcoming deck, which combines Lenormand images with Marseilles tarot images? To me, it's an interesting idea and I love the look of the cards. But traditional it's not.