Newbie's questions to lenormand readers

greatdane

I have found many great sites thanks to lenormand readers here. But I have a few questions that I don't really see answered, so will just ask and hope a kind seasoned lenormand reader or readers will answer.

1. The male and female cards....if you're reading for a female, do you take that card out and then pull other cards next to it? Same with male card.

2. Do those of you who read tarot as well, shuffle or cut or pull cards any differently when you're reading lenormand? I know this probably doesn't matter, it's all individual, but I was watching some videos of lenormand readings and it just look like the spread them out or fanned them and pulled a few.

3. Normally when you read for yourself or others, do you ask specific questions or just pull cards and do a reading based on whatever cards are drawn?

And last but not least....

4. if you are doing a two card, is the one on the left your what and the one on your right your how? Like one on left is say the Bouquet and the one on the right the Fox so would that be like a cunning person will give you a gift? Is the left like the what will happen and the right the how or why?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated as I begin my lenormand journey.

Richard

Some readers take the left card as the noun, the right card as the modifying adjective. Bouquet + Fox = treacherous contentment or dangerous complacency (among other possibilities, of course).

ladybird

1. The male and female cards....if you're reading for a female, do you take that card out and then pull other cards next to it? Same with male card.

Hi Greatdane! to answer this question. If you're reading for a male querant, use the 28. Gentleman card. If you're reading for a female querant, use the 29 Lady card.

Or....use one of the following cards as the Significator...
if your question is about...
...money, pick the Fish
...love/romance, pick the Heart
...marriage, pick the Ring
...your child, pick the Child
...a friend, pick the Dog
...health, pick the Tree
...making decisions, pick the Crossroads
...traveling, pick the Ship
...moving, pick the Stork
...your home, pick the House
Etc.

2. Do those of you who read tarot as well, shuffle or cut or pull cards any differently when you're reading lenormand? I know this probably doesn't matter, it's all individual, but I was watching some videos of lenormand readings and it just look like the spread them out or fanned them and pulled a few.

However you want to do it! I'm thinking the fanning may be traditional but I'm not sure on that.

3. Normally when you read for yourself or others, do you ask specific questions or just pull cards and do a reading based on whatever cards are drawn?

Asking a clear question is really important since there are several meanings to some of the cards! Donnaleigh has great information on how to ask the right question. http://www.divinewhispers.net/apps/...w-to-ask-and-answer-a-question-with-precision

* Pay close attention to what you're asking. (And stick to the question!) Are you asking what you think you are asking? Write down the question to remember it and make sure it is clear and precise.

And last but not least....

4. if you are doing a two card, is the one on the left your what and the one on your right your how? Like one on left is say the Bouquet and the one on the right the Fox so would that be like a cunning person will give you a gift? Is the left like the what will happen and the right the how or why?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated as I begin my lenormand journey.

Noun+Adjective or The Subject+The Modifier. The first card is usually the
focus or the Subject.

For 3 card readings... Subject~Modifier~Modifier or Subject~Modifier~the Result

Hope this helps!

greatdane

Thanks LRichard and Ladybird!

LOL Ladybird! I JUST finished watching DonnaLeigh's youtube video about the importance of asking the question correctly and sticking to the question (in this case it was about someone who had a medical problem I believe). She very clearly stated the importance of staying on track. I have watched about four of her videos now, including her explanation of the individual cards. And thanks SO much about the information re significators, that was a bit confusing to me. You have been most helpful! For now, I will stick with two card draws with possibly a clarifier when needed. I want to start really slowly. Oh and I did like her youtube video re the Mystery 3 card :).
THANKS AGAIN LADYBIRD AND LRICHARD!

kalliope

People do it different ways, and it often depends on the spread and if you have a specific question. Both Chanah and Britta have done 5 card crosses that focus on the person and their thoughts in a situation, so that tends to have them in the middle. Treppner describes the 3x3 in both ways: if you want the cards to tell you the most important message, don't put anything in the middle. If you have a specific question, you put the theme card (Heart for love, Fish for money, etc.) and then draw the rest. Same goes for Lines of 5, 7, or 9. Just like Ladybird said.

I wouldn't pull special cards for daily, weekly, or monthly (etc.) draws, though. Or for 3 card draws, since there are already so few. You need all three to make a useful message!

I don't! But many do the fan and pick method as you've seen. Treppner suggests people try it in her course, so it may be popular in Germany to do it that way. Do what works for you.

For daily draws, or for overview sorts of readings (weekly, monthly, etc.), I wouldn't ask a question. And as I said in response to question 1, for a general reading you can just ask the cards to tell you what's most important for you to know. Just like tarot that way.

But if you have a specific question, ask it, and Ladybird's advice to have a precise question and to stick to it is excellent. It will help you to not get confused or overwhelmed and to zero in on the relevant card meanings and combinations.

LRichard and Ladybird gave excellent examples. So for 2-card combinations: Subject-Modifier, Noun-Adjective, and sometimes even Verb-Adverb. (Make note of Ladybird's 3-card examples, too!)

So in your example, I might say:
--a happiness (Bouquet) that is somehow false or wrong(Fox). (I'd think that could mean you're happy under false pretenses.)
--Or a gift/invitation (Bouquet) given with ulterior motives (Fox).

Something like that...

Midnite

Hi greatdane. The book, "Learning Lenormand" by Marcus Katz and Tali Goodwin is awesome for answering your questions and more. I thoroughly recommend it.

kalliope

I randomly thought of a few other Bouquet-Fox interpretation:

--A pleasantness or charm that is false; (i.e. someone being deceitfully charming or "fake friendly" with you)
--more directly, it could simply mean the "wrong gift"
--the bouquet is a Queen and so can sometimes mean a "lovely woman", so I suppose she could be a lovely woman who is clever, cunning, or deceitful.

Lee

The two-card combo exercises at the beginning of Britta's course seem to fall into the noun-modifier pattern, but several of them could also be seen as modifier-noun. It seems to me (from my decidedly non-expert perspective) that it might be more valuable to simply think about combining the two cards in a way that makes sense with regard to the question, rather than get hung up on which is the noun and which the modifier.

greatdane

THANKS ALL! AND ONE more question please

I noticed DonnaLeigh for example mentioned she uses the french method of reading and I believe there is a german and various others that look at reading and/or meanings somewhat differently. Do you follow a specific system, like the french or german, because I'm guessing if one follows a system, it IS one if not the french or german, some system. Or have you kind of made up your own? I am trying to stay as clear as I begin as possible and I know mixing systems can be a tad confusing particularly if one looks at reading or a card in one way and another in another way. And the whole noun modifier clarifier makes sense to me, but in one of the videos I watched it was and on the right THIS explains the one on the LEFT. And then the cards would be switched to show how that would change the meaning. As I begin, I really want to a system or method somewhat clear in my mind even though I know it changes with position, number of cards, etc. ANY thoughts that helped any of your seasoned or even more new readers as you began would be hugely appreciated!

kalliope

Don't get bogged down on what exactly is French and what is German! I just came across this excellent blog post by AndyBC explaining the overlaps and differences of the various schools. It will give you a really good overview of the topic, and on Lenormand in general:
http://myfortunae.wordpress.com/2012/11/18/practical-divination-lenormand-and-this-tradition/

When you say that video said the card on the right describes the card on the left, that is the same as SUBJECT-modifier, really. You just want a method you'll use consistently and methodically, and that ideally allows for differences when you reverse the order of the cards.

But to answer your question about what helps, I think a system will solidify in your head once you see enough examples of it being used in practice. Stick with a quality blog and read every old post they have. I'd highly recommend Chanah at 36cards.wordpress.com (tons of info, readings, and examples!) and of course Andy at My Fortunae. I wouldn't suggest making up your own system until you've gotten a solid foundation in an established one. After that, you can tweak things to fit your personal style.

If you'd feel most comfortable learning a system in a more focused way, your best bet is to buy a course. Andy has his on hold right now, so until he finishes his book or reopens his course, I'd recommend either Iris Treppner or Britta Kienle. Treppner's is the most cost efficient, about US$35 for the whole thing. Britta's Course Book I is about $26 (for the PDF) and is quite enough to get you reading even Grand Tableaus. Treppner's advantage is that it's probably the most popular method that you'll see experienced people using online. Britta's method has some minor differences and a good handful of card meaning differences, but her advantage is the way she teaches, with many exercises (with answers) so you get the chance to practice and build your skills and confidence. Her books really are workbooks, not just textbooks.