Animals Divine - 4 The Emperor - Zeus

Ivy Rhiannon

Picture: http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd443/TrinityQueen/4-Emperor-Zeus.jpg

First Impression: Again although he is Hera's counterpart I was again surprised this was a portrayal of Zeus. Although I do think he fits "the emperor role" well. This is not how I would have pictured him. He has a strong pose, but he is not holding his famous lightning bolt even though a storm is brewing in the clouds. The colors blend in a little too well so a lot of the picture is very "grey".

Description: We see Lord Zeus standing proudly holding an orb of power? (perhaps an orb of summon lightning for you gamer freaks :p) In his other hand is a wooden staff. His long white robe flows in the wind as he stands the sky is showing signs of a storm. Behind him is a strong ox and in front resting on a branch a golden eagle (which I had originally guess was a hawk).

Colors: Lots of Grey, White, & Black. Also some light browns and a green leaf.

Senses: I can smell the air as it is charged with the coming storm. The wind picks up and blows chaotically. The dead branches moan pulled against the strong current. The eagle calls out but his voice is lost in the wind. I hear the thunder rumble low in the ominous clouds. The air turns from warm to cool as the storm threatens to release its rain. I taste a strong iron on my tongue as I raise the orb into the air.

Symbols: Zeus, Ox, Golden Eagle, Storm, Staff, dead branches.

Story [Intuitive]: Zeus stands tall on the mountainside in his beloved home of Olympus. A strong ox grazes behind him and a beautiful golden eagle flies low landing on the branch in front of him. The King of the Gods parts the beautiful clouds and hold high a magical orb. Within it he gazes able to view all of his mighty kingdom from his supreme home. An electrical charge radiates over him and he can feel the coming storm raising within him. It is a slow building of power and ecstasy. Zeus grins feeling all is well within his kingdom, and the clouds lose their dark lining and brighten with the sun. Feeling a little playful he searches his orb of power further. Before him appears a gentle young woman with dark eyes with a face as beautiful as Aphrodite's. He watches her from the looking glass with a curious eye and a passionate stare. Today would be a good day indeed.

My Experience as the Emperor: The Emperor is a true leader. One who can see clearly into problems that may arise and is fair and just. He is a compassionate and strong individual one capable of setting a pure example of what he expects from his subjects. Funny enough my soul card is the emperor. I have been working on becoming a leader my entire life.

Astrological Reference: Zodiac - Aries

Cultural Reference: From Greek Mythology we have the Father of Gods and Men, Zeus who ruled the Olympians of Mount Olympus as a father ruled the family. He is the god of sky and thunder. In most traditions he was married to Hera and yet he is well known for his erotic escapades. These resulted in many godly and heroic offspring. His symbols are the thunderbolt, eagle, bull, and oak. Zeus was the child of Cronus and Rhea, and the youngest of his siblings. Cronus sired several children but swallowed them all as soon as they were born, since he had learned from Gaia and Uranus that he was destined to be overthrown by his own son. But when Zeus was about to be born, Rhea sought Gaia to devise a plan to save him. Rhea gave birth to Zeus in Crete, handing Cronus a rock wrapped in swaddling clothes, which he promptly swallowed. His mother hid Zeus in a cave on Mount Ida in Crete. After reaching manhood, Zeus forced Cronus to disgorge his siblings in reverse order of swallowing. Then Zeus released the brothers of Cronus from their dungeon in Tartarus. As a token of their appreciation, the Cyclopes gave him thunder and the thunderbolt, or lightning, which had previously been hidden by Gaia. Together they overthrew Cronus and the other Titans. After the battle, Zeus shared the world with his brothers Poseidon and Hades by drawing lots: Zeus got the sky and air, Poseidon the waters, and Hades the world of the dead (the underworld). The ancient Earth, Gaia, could not be claimed. [source wikipedia]

Elemental Reference: Air for the sky and storm. Earth is not pictured as strongly but still present.

Numerology Reference: 4 - Security, Stability, Foundation, Focus

Keywords: Leadership, Power, Control, Role Model

Possible Meanings: Being in a position of leadership, having the power to make a difference, being a positive role model for another, being confident and clear minded.

Reversed: Using a position of power for one's personal gain, Unable to see past one's ego, being controlling and manipulating of others, feeling bossed or bullied by others.

Quote: "If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more then you are a leader." ~ John Adams

divinegoddess

First Impression: It seems to be rather chaotic. He is too confident, I can sense cockiness. Don’t like him as the Emperor.

Symbols*: The Father holds a crystal ball to create a ray of light against a tumultuous sky. The crystal ball allows him to see things more clearly. Therefore he can act in the face of the coming storm clouds. He holds a gnarly staff entwined with ivy, symbolic of his masculine power and authority. His golden armbands signify immortality and the power of the sun. He wears a necklace with olive leaves, his emblem, reinforcing his omnipotence. The golden eagle is a noble creature and a primary attribute of Zeus. It keeps a watchful eye out for potential disorder. The bull is a solar masculine symbol signifying cirility and power. The spirals on the rocks and erratic branches echo the dynamic and ever-changing nature of the heavens.

Description*: The supreme god of the Greeks, Zeus upheld law and order. He presided over the land following the defeat of the Titatns and the overthrow of his father, Kronos. Zeus situated himself on the top of Mount Olympus and ruled the realm of deities known as the Olympians.

His marriage to Hera was considered sacred and important to the Greeks. In contrast to her nurturing, creative demeanor, Zeus maintained order with thunderbolts in hand that were a gift of the Cyclops. He maintained order over the seasons and natural phenomena such as the weather. He had the ability to stir up thunderstorms and fertilize the land with his rains.

Zeus had an insatiable appetite for goddesses and mortals alike. He had the ability to shapeshift into animals, thus seducing unsuspecting females. Zeus’s lustful nature exposed a human side to his behavior that created discord in his realm. His untempered actions infuriated his wife, Hera, and led to the punishment of his lovers.

Possible Meanings*: Despite the negative, less than divine temperaments of Zeus and Hera, their marriage was honored by the Greeks. They served as a balance to the kingdom. Both the feminine principle of the empress and the masculine principle of the emperor are necessary for continued growth and expansion.

Senses: If he was in this day and age, he would be the kind of person who would get all the girls he can, and not care about the consequences. However, it’s not the personal feelings of this man but about the feelings and emotions he represents. I can sense the storm coming, I can sense a bit of chaos in the card. When he doesn’t have it all together, things around him are chaotic. He is supposed to be the Father figure but I don’t sense that wamrth from him. In fact, I’m scared of him, intimitated. Coming from such a beautiful and serene place to this chaos.. I just can’t handle that.

Thoughts/Points to Ponder: What is he keeping from his people, I know he knows something but isn’t willing to share it. I see the spirals on the rocks, the branches, the bird (eagle is it?) and the ox – this card isn’t foretelling anything good. It seems dead, tired and chaotic. He’s overly cocky. I don’t like the card one bit – too much negativity.