Cards at last column of GT meaning ending?

Teheuti

So, if you state the GT is for 3 months before you lay the cards, and the ring lies in the end of a row, that means a situation with the ring will occur at the end of 3 months, right?
Usually.

Lee

I can't use any more techniques for now or my head will explode! Just remembering to take into consideration the house the card is in, knighting, mirroring, and chaining, if needed, is enough for me after I read the card and its neighbors. Whew! Tired just writing that!
Hi MissNine,

You shouldn't feel as though you need to overload yourself with techniques. Rana has a lot of techniques in her book, but she's been reading for several decades and she was trying, I'm sure, to give the reader their money's worth, but she even says in the book that she doesn't use all the techniques all the time.

With houses for example, I haven't seen very many people saying they read every card with its house in a GT. I think many people simply read the houses for the significator card and perhaps some of the topic cards in the spread, but that's it. The same with knighting - I think these techniques are meant to be used judiciously.

Personally I think it's vastly more important to try to gain a feeling for each card and for how they work together in combinations before you start even thinking about other techniques.

For myself, I'm still working on understanding the cards and how they combine in lines. For GT, I'm looking at only the horizontal/vertical axis and the square of nine around the significator card, and that's it. I'm not even looking at knighting or mirroring, and I may never look at them.

As far as near/far, I believe Mary when she says a great many readers use it, but I also believe that there are a great many who don't. In recent times it's only become widely popular in the last few years, and although some readers (not referring to any member here) state vociferously that it's the "only real method," it's important to remember that these same readers were, just a few years ago, stating just as vociferously that what they were doing then was the only real method.

Personally I find the near/far method mildly intriguing but I'm not very interested in it at this point, and mixing it with the reading-in-lines method seems like mixing apples and oranges. Reading in lines is what attracted me to Lenormand in the first place, so that's what I'm going to concentrate on for now.

So, as far as I'm concerned, when one is near the start of one's Lenormand journey, no mirroring, knighting, chaining, near/far, or head-exploding are required. :)

Sharla

Thankyou Lee, I needed to hear this aswell as I've been doing the exact same as missnine, overloading myself with information especially with the GT, just basically because I've been trying to squeeze as much information as I can out of it but then have just ended up confusing myself even more as I'm not even 100% with the combinations yet.

I must admit a last GT I did for myself last wk, I used all the houses, did mirroring, knighting, chaining, 4 corners, 1st three cards, and went by AndyB's interpretations from his book on the cards near significator and far plus which cards I.e positive or negative cancelled out or effected other cards, and you can probably guess what happened....
...Yes I just ended up after 10mins taking a photograph of it to come back to as it was all waaay too much for my head, lol.

MissNine

@ Lee

Lee,

Brilliant thoughts. Yes, I'm in overload and there's no need for it. I actually am journaling GTs I do. I used some techniques in one and others I another. I'm getting my reading flow down. I did the same with tarot. Just went to a basic approach with one book and got good with it. At least, my sitter's tell me I'm accurate. :)

I can tell you that I won't be using card inserts with Lenormand. He circus has to stop somewhere! I know Rana doesn't use them often either, unless intuition steps in for her.

I'll be taking your advice to heart and stripping down my interpretation methods to a workable mix.

Thank you!

Teheuti

Few people use the playing card inserts except that the Kings and Queens can represent people.

The next level, which can be of use is just quickly checking the prevelence of suits in a line or Square of 9:

Spades - the best suit: stability, enterprise
Hearts - relationships, emotions
Diamonds - risky opportunities
Clubs - trouble, hardship

(It is based on a German cartomantic tradition that is quite different than the French or English one. Aces don't count.)

Otherwise ignore them.

Padma

Always thought it was the spades that were awful, and the clubs were sociable...every system is different! Have to admit I don't use the inserts myself too much, so I am ignorant beyond what little hedgewitchery I have found on the web ;) but I guess it must be German in origin, as the Cross is clubs, I think...? (don't have a deck near me at the mo) but then that is confusing as the Lennies are French, supposedly...?

Teheuti

Always thought it was the spades that were awful, and the clubs were sociable...every system is different! Have to admit I don't use the inserts myself too much, so I am ignorant beyond what little hedgewitchery I have found on the web ;) but I guess it must be German in origin, as the Cross is clubs, I think...? (don't have a deck near me at the mo) but then that is confusing as the Lennies are French, supposedly...?
As I said above - the playing card associations are to a German cartomancy system - NOT to the French or English systems!

Spades was Green Leaves - a sign of the nobility
Hearts were Red Hearts
Diamonds were Yellow Hawk Bells
Clubs were Black Acorns - the sign of the peasantry

You can see the German suits on the Game of Hope (Spiel der Hoffnung) cards.

Padma

Yes, I had already seen your comments before I posted, Teheuti - sorry if I didn't explain myself well enough, I am very tired, just got a new pup this weekend and it has been chaos here! What I meant was, the cartomancy meanings are German but the Lennies are French, so it is confusing a bit.

DownUnderNZer

"Near/Far" is one technique. Being popular though and just in the last few years... not sure. It is part of a method, so some use it and others do not depending on the system they are taught.

I was taught it 10 years ago with the MAN and WOMAN in the GT (4 x 9) as well as if they "face" one another or not. So, I just accepted it as being a part of the GT.

What is new to me are things like all kinds of cards having to face in this or that direction. That seems more like Tarot.

Knighting is only usually done with the MAN and WOMAN.

Don't remember "Mirroring", but definitely we did Squares, Lines, and Houses and what was "beneath ones feet" or above them. So, what is behind or not dealt with yet. :D

"Near and far" was used by the "traditional one" of both my teachers and she went off the German system of Lenormand. It is not used by all systems as far as I understand. The other teacher did not use it at all.

As far as near/far, I believe Mary when she says a great many readers use it, but I also believe that there are a great many who don't. In recent times it's only become widely popular in the last few years, and although some readers (not referring to any member here) state vociferously that it's the "only real method," it's important to remember that these same readers were, just a few years ago, stating just as vociferously that what they were doing then was the only real method.

Personally I find the near/far method mildly intriguing but I'm not very interested in it at this point, and mixing it with the reading-in-lines method seems like mixing apples and oranges. Reading in lines is what attracted me to Lenormand in the first place, so that's what I'm going to concentrate on for now.

:)

MissNine

So with respect to mirroring and the final column in the 9x4, what I learned from somewhere along the way is...
The cards that mirror each other reflect more into each other.
card is cross house mirrors card in rider house.
Card in anchor mirrors card in clover house.
And so on.
Until you get to be card in the fox house mirroring the card in the mouse house.

So card in house of dog mirrors the card in the house of the tower.
I think I got it right.

I know some people mirror in the same row so the card in the house of the dog would mirror the card in the house of the Scythe. I don't do that.