Makes SCENTS!

greatdane

Still a little way from Fall here, but as I was vacuuming up some carpet powder I make with lime, eucalyptus, grapefruit, and lemongrass, I was thinking of the scents I might want for around Samhain/Thanksgiving/Christmas.

I can't tolerate chemical air fresheners and carpet powders well, so I make my own with essential oils using either in a spray bottle mixed with water or drops of oils mixed in with baking soda.

You can get pre-mixed blends on Amazon from places like Eden's Garden or Plant Therapy or mix up your own with just few oils. I like piney or cooking scents around Fall and Winter.

I always enjoyed spraying them around, but mixing with baking soda and smooshing into carpeting and letting sit a bit and then vacuuming, just helps a scent linger even more. I do check because I know some are sensitive to even a bit of lingering scent, but I find most are more affected by chemical scents than natural although it's always good to ask.

Anyone have a few oils they like to mix together for Fall or Winter?

Briar Rose

I am thinking about getting an essential oil starter kit. I got a wonderful package of mixed herbs that I am loving. I have a few essential oils, but I need more.

What books on the subject do you have?

Inchantress

Love the idea of making your own carpet powder. I'm sure you could come up with lots of great fall mixes. Cinnamon, Clove, Orange Oil, Sandlewood are the first ones that come to mind.... but I think you'll have fun experimenting! Would love to hear what your favorites end up being, fall smells are the best ;)

greatdane

Hello Briar Rose and Inchantress

While I do have some books, the best and quickest I get online, Briar Rose. I have also found, just for me, less is more. When I get a little too creative mixing scents, I often don't care for how they come out, so I either get a pre mixed scent or keep it down to two scents together. If you bing what other oil goes with.....(pick an essential oil)? a bunch of links will come up.

Inchantress, you brought up two I love, Clove and Cinnamon! I will likely use those in baking powder and also I like using bamboo sticks stuck in a small pretty vase with oil. They infuse the air and I don't have to worry about watching something burning or plugged in.