Symbolism that you think should be in the cards

Sorceress_Jade

I want to leave out monotheistic religious symbols, that includes kabbalistic ones.

I think that when I make my deck I will do my best to leave in place a lot of the classical concepts of the cards, but that I will do my best to change the actual image away from waite inspired imagery.

I get tired of seeing decks with the same pictures drawn differently. It becomes tiring to me.

ChrisTheObscure

When I make me first deck, I want it to be very simplified....no numbered cards, no words on the cards....even the images will be abstract - ie, certain colours/shapes for the major arcana, not necessarily people. It will primarily be a deck for self-meditations.

For the high priestess card, for example: it will look as if one is staring down into a deep, swirling tunnel....one side of the tunnel wall will be dark grey, and the other half light grey....deep in the dark depths, as if way, way, way down, a speck of green or red. Because to me, the HP represents withdrawl (like into a tunnel or cave), or seeking out hidden, obscure truths.

C.

Jackal

ChrisTheObscure said:
When I make me first deck, I want it to be very simplified....no numbered cards, no words on the cards....even the images will be abstract - ie, certain colours/shapes for the major arcana, not necessarily people. It will primarily be a deck for self-meditations.

>snip<

C.

I think that's the key, right there. Unless you're planning to make a deck for mass publication, the way you structure it should have meaning to you.

My own deck is structured on the traditional idea of the trumps representing a journey to completeness (at least that's how I understand it), though the journey I'm depicting is of a slightly different bent. Also my suits are numbered one through nine rather than ten, though each has the traditional four court cards.

I should clarify: when I say 'traditional', I guess what I really mean is 'based on what I've read regarding the R-W deck and decks designed along a similar line'. I don;t want to step on any toes.

I think it's just a matter of building on a framework that works for you. There's nothing wrong with copping an established system. However, I would have to agree that seeing the R-W deck with re-drawn artwork does get tiring. I've seen a couple of decks like that, and even in that limited circle I noticed that the artist left a lot of detail out.

That's just my Two of Coins.

temperlyne

I'm also working on a deck of my own and I just let my emotions guide me. I think of the card I want to do and just start drawing. I'm not concerned with any of the symbolisme. To me the picture must speak through my heart and not through my mind I guess. I just believe strongly in speaking images. When I look at a card such as the High Priestess, I like to feel the mystery and seclusion rather than translate it from the symbols. Bu I guess it is easier if you are creating a personal deck thats meant only for yourself like I am, I only have to recken with my needs.

Major Tom

Jackal said:
I think that's the key, right there. the way you structure it should have meaning to you.

I think it's just a matter of building on a framework that works for you. There's nothing wrong with copping an established system. However, I would have to agree that seeing the R-W deck with re-drawn artwork does get tiring. I've seen a couple of decks like that, and even in that limited circle I noticed that the artist left a lot of detail out.

That's just my Two of Coins.

My actual departure point was the book The Tarot - A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages by Paul Foster Case. It goes with the BOTA deck and explains completely every symbol that appears on the cards right down to the colours used. You're meant to colour it yourself. You can see the version I coloured at http://www.majortom.biz/t-shirts/html

Otherwise I fall in that limited circle with my tarot at: http://majortomstarot.0catch.com/ I did leave out a lot of the details, but I do like to think I've made up for that. }) I do find myself getting further away from my departure point - I'm quite proud of my Wheel of Fortune card. My friend Kayne appears on the 4 of Cups. :)

Jackal

Major Tom, I had a look at your deck and it is FANTASTIC!!! I especially love The Devil.

I like the idea of immortalizing your friends in a tarot deck. It sure looks like you are having a great time putting it together.

kayne

Major Tom said:
My friend Kayne appears on the 4 of Cups. :)
Yeah! Bet you didn't know that would happen when you first started that deck... :p

Demonesse

The crab in the Moon. Okay, this is irrational but it just has to be there :) As for creating a deck, I believe one should include more symbolism rather than less, but I feel at the same time it's important to create cards that are unique yet part of an integrated whole and at the same time reflecting one's emotions, thoughts & feelings at the time of creation.

I get tired of seeing decks with the same pictures drawn differently. It becomes tiring to me. ---Sorceress Jade

So true. Enough of the Rider-Waite clones already.

Because to me, the HP represents withdrawl (like into a tunnel or cave), or seeking out hidden, obscure truths. --Chris the Obscure

Interesting. I've always thought that it represented looking within to find deeper, hidden truths and exploration of esoteric mysteries, but I've never thought of it as representing withdrawal of any sort...

temperlyne

".. For the high priestess card, for example: it will look as if one is staring down into a deep, swirling tunnel...".

I like the idea of the High Priestess as a swirling tunnel. Maybe it could reprsent knowledge being sucked in by her as she represents being receptive.

Demonesse

MajorTom - cute deck!!! I wish we could click on the cards to see a close up :( The Moon and Devil are really nice - who are the human guinea pigs you recruited? They look like they're having fun. ;)