Holly Simple Tarot

pickled pixie

Hi peeps! I've just stumbled upon the Holly Simple Tarot. From what I can tell it's a fairly new deck out!. The art is very different to what I usually go for and yet I am strangely drawn to it! Does anyone have this deck and if so how do you find it reads as there doesn't seem to be much symbolism to go on?! This deck intrigues me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Achlys

It reminds me of my 2008-2010 scene self :laugh:
Personally, I don't think I'd be able to read with them.
The symbolism seems rather loose and random. It is a cute deck, however.

Lain_82

I'm actually ordering this deck today, with the companion book :) the art is not for everyone for sure, but I love it. Once I get them I'll post again with a more detailed impression.

pickled pixie

I'm actually ordering this deck today, with the companion book :) the art is not for everyone for sure, but I love it. Once I get them I'll post again with a more detailed impression.

Yes please let me know what you think of it! [emoji846]

RubyTempest

I think the book looks interesting to read. I like it! But yeah, I'm not sure I'd like to read with the deck either. I'm interested to hear more of your thoughts!

Lain_82

After almost a month of waiting I FINALLY received the deck this morning!!!!! I ordered both the tarot deck and her guidebook, and so far I'm super happy with it, although clearly it is not a deck that would appeal to a lot of people.

The size of the cards is smaller than for example the Wild Unknown, but it's not a mini deck by any means. I have small hands though, so it makes it super easy to shuffle. And the card stock is good quality, not very shiny. As for the deck itself, it comes with an artist card and a "cheat card", where the artist jotted down a couple of keywords for each card. I'd definitely recommend getting the guidebook though; unlike other companion books this one really shows her process and the reasons behind her artistic and symbolic choices. It also has some quite messy, cool sketches of some of the cards, I can tell already I'll love working with it.

The art itself is weird and uncomfortable-looking, which is what drew me to it. Lots of blood tears and disembodied hands. But as sparse as it seems to be, I'm getting tons of ideas from each card. I think people can apply RWS meanings to these cards if they want to, but my impression so far is that it can benefit more from a more intuitive approach. The suits are swords (reason), wands (creativity), cups (emotions) and pentacles (materialism), and the court cards are: daughter, son, father and mother. The Cups courts are represented by fishes, birds are swords, snakes are pentacles and wands are deer/horse-looking animals.

Anyway. I just got it, and there is definitely a ton of work to do with it before I can say whether it is or is not an easy deck to work with, but from what I see so far it is right up my alley.

pickled pixie

I ended up getting the deck and have to say that I really love it!! It does that funky thing that the TDM decks do when each card seems to tie into the next and creates a message or story ! It's absolutely fascinating! I usually just pull 3 cards and let them tell the story with their patterns, colours and characters like I do with the TDM! Cardstock is brilliant and I adore the quirky artwork, this deck is definitely a keeper for me :D

Carla

Oh dear me, no. Not my sort of thing at all. I like the pink box, though. :)