The De-Enabling Thread

tmgrl2

Kahlie said:
The Osho Zen

Pro's:
Love the Art, love the Zen Stories, the online drawing of dailiy cards helped me a lot.

Con's:
I don't have time to get it while still in holland, and within 9 days I will be in Portugal, and I doubt I can get it there. So it's more a time issue, and I do have the cash too.

Talk me out of it, so I can spend the last 9 days doing what I should do, and not what I want to do !

Maybe meditate instead? If you have the deck, you will be TEMPTED to not do what you need to do? New decks call us away from daily life?

I don't know how de-enabling I am. It's hard to be a deck-buying de-enabler. An old Twelve Step trick. Every day, keep telling yourself, "I can buy it tomorrow. I can always buy it tomorrow."

You say this every day until one day you wake up and the urge to
"buy that deck!" is not there for a little while.

terri

littlehermit

In the spirit of de-enabling...

For those considering paring down their collections (or anything else in their surroundings), the "Clutter Test" from Karen Kingston's Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui:

"1. Does it lift my energy when I think about it or look at it?

2. Do I absolutely love it?

3. Is it genuinely useful?

If the answer is not a resounding yes to question 1, and an equally resounding yes to either question 2 or 3, then what is it doing in your life?"

Shalott

Re: In the spirit of de-enabling...

littlehermit said:
For those considering paring down their collections (or anything else in their surroundings), the "Clutter Test" from Karen Kingston's Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui:

"1. Does it lift my energy when I think about it or look at it?

2. Do I absolutely love it?

3. Is it genuinely useful?

If the answer is not a resounding yes to question 1, and an equally resounding yes to either question 2 or 3, then what is it doing in your life?"

#3 weighs heavily on my mind right now. I'm paring down my collection, I've got so many that I'm probably not gonna use anymore having "gone" Marseille. There are several decks in my collection that I don't want to get rid of just because I bought cute Tarot Totes bags for them and I don't want to give up the bag, or split up the cute set (of bag and deck)! PLEASE someone de-enable meeee!

Eco74

Re: Re: In the spirit of de-enabling...

Shalott said:
There are several decks in my collection that I don't want to get rid of just because I bought cute Tarot Totes bags for them and I don't want to give up the bag, or split up the cute set (of bag and deck)!

Well, you could always give the complete set to someone you trust and who you know would appreciate it as much as you do.

That way the sets will be complete, the decks will come to good use, and other people will get to see the set and be as adored by it as you have been.
Don't be selfish, bring the beauty and cute-ness out there into the world. ;)

magpie9

Ahhhh...Charming Pixie
In the name of all the grandmothers in the world, I thank you for your decision not to sell your grandmother to buy a deck, even the greenwood!! We live in fear of that, you know. :D

As for the Inner Child, I had it, I tried, but in the end, the artwork made me emotionally carsick. Zip depth, and boring versions of the "faery tales" involved. :p Icccckkk.
A better exercise for your Inner Child is to Illustrate your own faery tale. :)

Shalott

Re: Re: Re: In the spirit of de-enabling...

Eco74 said:
Well, you could always give the complete set to someone you trust and who you know would appreciate it as much as you do.

That way the sets will be complete, the decks will come to good use, and other people will get to see the set and be as adored by it as you have been.
Don't be selfish, bring the beauty and cute-ness out there into the world. ;)

So terribly true... the art of matching Tarot tote to deck is one of my favorite things, yet I don't know anyone IRL who is as into Tarot as I am so I can't show off my little talent to anyone I know in person...so I suppose I must trust that the sets would go to good homes with ppl right here!

Eco74

Re: Re: Re: Re: In the spirit of de-enabling...

Shalott said:
The art of matching Tarot tote to deck is one of my favorite things

Now, this I can relate to.
I've been handstiching my own for three of my decks sofar and am loving the process. I can not imagine having any other deck in the bag, and if ever surrendering the deck, the bag would have to go with it.
They're tailor made and everything...

Post some pictures and judge by enthusiasm. That goes to show a lot about how it would be recieved by the new caretaker.
(Do decks really ever have "owners"?)

Kahlie

Maybe meditate instead? If you have the deck, you will be TEMPTED to not do what you need to do? New decks call us away from daily life?

I don't know how de-enabling I am. It's hard to be a deck-buying de-enabler. An old Twelve Step trick. Every day, keep telling yourself, "I can buy it tomorrow. I can always buy it tomorrow."

You say this every day until one day you wake up and the urge to
"buy that deck!" is not there for a little while.

terri

Ah, I better try that. But probably I will fail, I think the Osho helps me to try and mediate, because it really makes my over productive mind go quiet.

Satori

In Defense of the Whimsical

Okay, pretty much everyone knows I love the Whimsical Tarot. So, step aside Whimsical "de-enablers", I have a couple of reasons why the Whimsical Tarot is a great deck.

I can't argue with what I've read, and yes it is true that seemingly one interpretation of the cards is evident, if you are not a literature or folk tale buff.

But I think the Whimsical is a fabulous tool for learning the card meanings as a jumping off point to broadening the meanings as well. Take the pages. Page of Rods is a trumpet-flurry of messages-and if you read the accompanying book it further elucidates the thinking of the creator, with useful info. Page of Swords is an interesting one for me-an antique spyglass with roses and ivy. Spy in your midst..."take note of what's going on around you". And again, the write up further elucidates ways of looking at the cards.

I love the deck. Love it.
That isn't to say it is for everyone.
I originally bought it for my daughter to teach her tarot, and will still use it thus. But, I have gotten some really incredible readings from it, not all sweet and nice, some with an edge. Fairy tales in their origins were some of the scariest stories written, because embedded deep within the princess being rescued were some pretty hard hitting and nasty issues still being discussed and battled today.

The Whimsical is a worthy addition to your collection. And adults love to see the fairy tales coming to life in readings too. I read with it for a year, and never had a dissatisfied customer.

Eco74

Re: In Defense of the Whimsical

elf said:
Spy in your midst...

Undoubtedly so...

Here, the mission is to keep people from buing more and more decks. Sooo methinks you should make an enabler-thread with arguments like these instead. ;)