Giant Rider-Waite

Le Fanu

Hate to say this but you really need to find it in a shop.

They are all listed the same on amazon. There are nasty glossy printings that come in Printed in Belgium (and probably China) boxes. I was on the lookout for one (after having unwittingly bought another glossy one in a box which said it was an older version) and it was only after finding one in a shop which said "Printed in China" and which I could take out and check from and inspection of the cardstock through the shrink wrap that it probably wasn't glossy.

Emily

I also second Le Fanu about actually seeing the cards before you buy. I bought my deck back in 2004 and I ended up with the heavy laminate and typeset fonts yet if i look at the deck on Amazon now the picture shows the handwritten fonts and a completely different box to mine but Amazon says this is what I ordered. I'm pretty sure that if I ordered this giant again I would end up with the same version of the deck I already have. So what you see is not what you get with Amazon.

Chrystella

I only recently bought the Giant RWS and I love it. I bought it at a local shop and got the set printed in China. I'm happy with the quality. It is a brick, like Emily said. You can see my picture of it here. I don't use it to read, just for study.

Essence of Winter

I wouldn't mind getting one but I would definitely want an older one with Pixie's lettering and no glossy finish.

Amanda

Thanks Le Fanu, Emily, Chrystella -- I kind of thought I might have to go searching in a shop. I have to take my car out of town to get some service on it Monday and I was planning on a day of shopping while I wait, so I'll look around then. Might be fun! It's been a while since I've actually been out and about to buy a tarot deck... though I'm wondering how easy it will be to find the Giant.

Essence of Winter -- I like the old lettering as well, and I definitely don't like the glossy. I want to read with the Giant too. Last time I was reading for friends and family at a Halloween party, I used my pocket RWS and they were all asking where the BIG cards were. If I can find the Giant out and about, I'll be sure they get the big cards next time around! :D

foolMoon

I have 2 copies of GRWS - one is PIB and the other PII.

I use the PIB deck in downstairs living room, and the PII on upstairs in the study. They are great for studying, but I use them for divinations too.

I got them on 2003, and they are nicely getting that worn look recently.