Book of Thoth Study Group #6: Tarot and the Golden Dawn

Zephyros

I actually think we've discussed this in the past. While I agree with Crowley that it doesn't matter, that doesn't mean I automatically "buy" it. As you say, and as he does, the evidence is internal but it does radiate outwards in a way that is "pleasing" even to a uninitiated individual like myself.

No leap of faith is needed because the Law of Liberty rings true. It isn't strictly necessary, nor indeed does it even help in any discernible way I can think of, to believe in the story of the reception. I think there is some kind of truth to it as far as Crowley was concerned (in essence, I don't think he was lying) but I choose to reserve final judgment until such a time, if ever, that I will be able to ascertain the truth of it for myself.

So, yeah, basically it doesn't matter. I think Crowley knew the average layman would have a problem taking his story at face value but didn't see belief as a requirement.

Aeon418

I think Crowley knew the average layman would have a problem taking his story at face value but didn't see belief as a requirement.
Quite possible. Today it certainly seems to ruffle the feathers of certain Thelemic pseudo-sceptics who appear to have read more Richard Dawkins than they have Aleister Crowley. But then again, maybe it's a trap a for the superstitious and gullible. Or both! :bugeyed:

Oh, for some Chinese Music! http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/crowley/lies/48.htm

Zephyros

Or, they've been reading the "true" confessions of Aleister Crowley, Liber Al vel Bogus.