whats the best rider waite deck

rwcarter

Moderator Note

There's a nice .pdf someone created to tell the earlier "vintage" US Games decks from the modern ones, but I can't figure out how to upload it at this point! The vintage ones pop up regularly on ebay.

Only Subscribers may attach things to their posts. If you're interested in becoming a Subscriber, you can find more info here.

Wil_Mac

Rwcarter. I've thought about the subscription and I'd really like to, but.... 4 young children, insurance, all the regular expenses +/-! I do have some nice decks that I'd consider trading, and I am enjoying the forum. I may think about it sometime down the road again if I stay active for a while!

Mystic Zyl

May I suggest the Universal Waite, the colors are softer and more beautiful than those of the RWS and Mary Hanson (colorist) detailed the faces of the characters. Be sure the symbolism is not lost because of "new" coloring.

Flavio is right that the Universal is much softer to the eye and clearer. I do have that deck. However, personally, I prefer the 'Original Rider Waite' with it's harsh lines and fewer amount of colours. Because everything is not cleaned up so much, you can see stuff within the lines - check out the threads about hidden stuff (the skull within a cup, the two faces of the girl on the '6 of Cups'). Those things have been wiped away with the new coloured versions.

Universal Waite, love the deck. I have read with it for years; my clients like it too.

Richard

The Universal Waite is very pretty, but it seems to lack some of the dramatic impact of the regular Rider decks. I tried to use it several times, but after a couple of weeks, I always would go back to the Rider, or even the Albano, with a feeling of relief. Some people are wary of the PCS Commemorative because of the muted colors, but the printing is excellent, and it compares in beauty with the Universal without the "emasculation" of the images.

Lee

The Universal Waite is very pretty, but it seems to lack some of the dramatic impact of the regular Rider decks. I tried to use it several times, but after a couple of weeks, I always would go back to the Rider, or even the Albano, with a feeling of relief. Some people are wary of the PCS Commemorative because of the muted colors, but the printing is excellent, and it compares in beauty with the Universal without the "emasculation" of the images.
I agree! To me the Commemorative is just about perfect.