Lenormand ... 1813?

kwaw

AN01399843_001_l.jpg

Full set here:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/resear...99843001&objectId=3145136&partId=1#more-views

AN01467723_001_l.jpg

Full set here:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/resear...67723001&objectId=3154196&partId=1#more-views

© Trustees of the British Museum. (May not be reproduced for commercial purposes without permission.)

kwaw

And of course, also at the BM, the Game of Hope:

AN01172643_001_l.jpg

© Trustees of the British Museum. (May not be reproduced for commercial purposes without permission.)

reall

beautiful!:)) what's the name of the last bnw lenormand from previous side?:) would like to try coloring that!^^ lolz ;))

firecatpickles

The last card, second row, looks like a firefighter!

Tag_jorrit

They are all a part of the British Museum collection: a few more -

AN01399804_001_l.jpg

AN01399806_001_l.jpg

This deck was reproduced in 1882 by the McLoughlin Co., New York and restored and resurrected last year.

Mystic_Example_copy_2_Small.jpg

and another color version was done in 2004 by Bernd Mertz.

9783809433729.jpg

reall

ok!:)) tnx4info!:))

Tag_jorrit

To me he looks like a town crier, maybe. He's got a messenger bag over his shoulder with what looks like a scroll or newspaper and it looks like writing on the line going toward a person in the window, like he's hollering something to the person.

kwaw

Yes, the 'ladder' looking object is a scroll as a type of speech balloon.

Selling or delivering something from his basket.

gypsy1_zpseazyghsq.jpg

gypsy1a_zpsp5hcyiqb.jpg

I struggle with that German typeface, but I think it might say Neuigkeiten (News).

Edited to add:

Here is a list of card expressions used in 17 different decks, including the above, courtesy of Huck (see his thread on early cartomancy in Germany in the History section).

huck said:
The book (Hofmann/Kroppenstedt) also contains a list with cartomancy expressions, as they had appeared in 17 different systems, mostly from 19th century. I took the care to translate the expressions to English, hopefully meeting the intended meaning.

List of used decks (numbers refer to the deck numbers used in the book, which is the catalog of an exhibition). Totally the catalog has 118 numbers.

4. Wahrsagekarten with notes and pictures, 36 cards, Germany begin 19th century (1813 ?), producer unknown
6. Wahrsagekarten with notes and pictures, 52 cards, Germany begin 19th century, producer unknown
7. Wahrsagekarten with notes and pictures, 32 cards, Stralsunder Spiekartenfabriken end 19th century
8. Wahrsagekarten with notes and pictures, 32 cards, F. Macchi in Praha, end 19th century
10. Wahrsagekarten with notes and pictures, 36 cards, F. Bognato in Udine begin 19th century
11. Wahrsagekarten with notes and pictures, sheet with 20 cards cards, notes in German, French and Italian c 1830, producer unknown
12. Wahrsagekarten with notes and pictures, sheet with 32 cards, notes in Dutch, English, German, French and Italian c 1830,, producer unknown
13. Wahrsagekarten with notes and pictures, 32 cards, Stralsunder Spiekartenfabriken begin 20th century
14. Wahrsagekarten with notes and pictures, 30 cards, Germany or Austria mid 19th century, notes in 7 languages, producer unknown
15. Wahrsagekarten with notes and pictures, 35 cards, Wilhem Tiratscheck in Breslau 1st half 19th century, notes in German and Polish
16. Wahrsagekarten "Sybille" with notes and pictures, 32 cards, J. C. Jergel Nuremberg c. 1870
17. Wahrsagekarten with notes and pictures, 24 cards, Germany end 19th century, notes in German, French and Italian, producer unknown
18. Wahrsagekarten with notes and pictures, 20 cards, Germany or Austria end 19th century, notes in German, Hungarian and Czechian, producer unknown
19. Wahrsagekarten with notes and pictures, 32 cards, Germany or Austria end 19th century, notes in 7 languages, producer unknown
21. Zigeuner Wahrsagekarten with notes and pictures, 36 cards, Piatnik in Wien 1963/64, notes in German, French, English and Italian, producer unknown
22. Fr. Kippers berühmte Wahrsagekarte, Wahrsagekarten with notes and pictures, 36 cards, Germany c 1900, producer unknown
32. Wahrsagekarten with notes and pictures, German suit, 36 cards, Industrie Comptoir in Leipzig c 1830

hof-01.jpg

hof-02.jpg

hof-03.jpg

hof-04.jpg

reall

good point about news person!:)) lolz

oh! like that list!:)) 1reminds me on art deco?:))
and it's interesting to see some new cards parents!:) king / impressed to see there were actually prostitute card?:)) lolz

btw who did translation?:))/it sounds like google translate to me?:) my german is not best but I'm quite sure frauenzimmer is ladies room!:) frauen=lady and zimmer is room!:) and gelibte /female lover is usualy translated as sweetheart? and male lover is just lover?:) major person is importan person it's kipper card?:) and jungfrau is young lady!:) terne may be french fool?:)