switching from RWS -TdM.

Eremita90

I don't even use the first operation of the OOTK. I just select a single card (or sometimes three cards) and read it. I do take into account the titles/keywords/meanings given in Book T or Liber Theta.

Same here: most of the times I just draw three cards and read them (although I tend to apply dignities, it just comes natural to me). However, when I have to read for somebody I may, from time to time, choose to use the OOTK, and very rarely I carry out all the operations, but that is when I have VERY much time, because with that spread I tend to get lost in the details.

At any rate, I haven't left the RWS tradition. I started reading tarot with an old Soprafino, then switched to Marseille, then to Thoth and then to RWS. With the years I learnt to appreciate each different tradition (now I read with all four decks), although I usually apply Crowley's and the GD system, blended with a good amount of Ben-Dov-style "free reading"

Richard

This is my "cheat sheet" for the pips. It shows the decans, zodiac signs, ruling planets, and exalted planets.

Attachments

• aaaaa8,5x11_20130926.jpg
    aaaaa8,5x11_20130926.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 173

Sulis

Except there are no decans, zodiac signs or anything else in the TdM because it's pre-Golden Dawn.
Why not just read what's actually on the TdM cards if you want to use a TdM?
If you want to read with the Golden Dawn system I think you're best using a deck that is based on that system - Thoth, RWS or their derivative decks.

Richard

Except there are no decans, zodiac signs or anything else in the TdM because it's pre-Golden Dawn.
If you want to read with the Golden Dawn system I think you're best using a deck that is based on that system - Thoth, RWS or their derivative decks.
When you get right down to it, there is no reason to read Tarot cards at all, since it is merely a card game. Divinatory significance was added after its creation.

Sulis

When you get right down to it, there is no reason to read Tarot cards at all, since it is merely a card game. Divinatory significance was added after its creation.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what this answer is supposed to mean LRichard.

Someone is here asking how to read with a TdM and your advice is to basically ignore the symbolism and stuff that's actually on the cards and pretend it's a Golden Dawn deck with all the decans and zodiac signs that go with that system. It's a little like going into the Thoth forum and telling someone asking how to read with that deck to ignore all the symbolism and just read it as if it's a deck that just uses numerology or some other system.

Surely as card readers we should be reading the cards and the TdM is packed full of symbolism without adding in stuff that isn't there but is on other decks.. If you want to read decans and zodiac signs, why bother with a TdM that has none of those things? I think if the symbols that you're reading are not on the cards then you're not reading the cards, you're memorising and reading by rote.

Richard

Someone is here asking how to read with a TdM and your advice is to basically ignore the symbolism and stuff that's actually on the cards and pretend it's a Golden Dawn deck with all the decans and zodiac signs that go with that system..........
I am totally amazed. At one fell swoop you are condemning the efforts of S.L. Macgregor Mathers, A. E. Waite, A. Crowley, and P. F. Case to explain Tarot symbolism.

Please do not set up a straw man in place of me and then knock it down. I never suggested that one ignore the symbolism on the cards. My intent is to delve deeper into a possible secret tradition concerning their significance. I do not condemn your overly simplistic approach to TdM, and I would greatly appreciate the same consideration regarding mine.

Wendywu

I totally agree with Sulis!

Why on earth get TdM cards and read with a system pasted on to them that didn't exist when they were created ?

jean bosco

So many questions, but I started with TdM and I never got any RwS deck in this time.

That's interesting. With RWS decks I always had the feeling that I needed one more deck that would be more appropriate or true than the ones I already had. I always wanted to find "the One" - deck. After some time I had the feeling that something is strange about that because I'm absolutely not the collector type of guy. I wanted to stop that. So I bought 3 TdMs (1 facsimile, 1 TdM I, 1 TdM II) and since then I had absolutely no urge of buying any more decks. I don't know exactly why that is but I'm happy with it and hope it stays like that ;)

herself

Someone is here asking how to read with a TdM and your advice is to basically ignore the symbolism and stuff that's actually on the cards and pretend it's a Golden Dawn deck with all the decans and zodiac signs that go with that system. It's a little like going into the Thoth forum and telling someone asking how to read with that deck to ignore all the symbolism and just read it as if it's a deck that just uses numerology or some other system.

Surely as card readers we should be reading the cards and the TdM is packed full of symbolism without adding in stuff that isn't there but is on other decks.. If you want to read decans and zodiac signs, why bother with a TdM that has none of those things? I think if the symbols that you're reading are not on the cards then you're not reading the cards, you're memorising and reading by rote.

I do also agree. It's refreshing to be able to use other methods of interpretation and find they work just fine.

Not arguing against the GD approach, though I must say I enjoyed reading with my Thoth much more when I was in my early twenties and completely oblivious to all of the background study it seems one must do these days before dipping a toe in those waters. I fell in love with Harris's artwork, and read with the cards because of it.

Not quite on-topic for a TdM discussion, I suspect, but it only goes to show that everyone approaches the cards somewhat differently. I find the GD contingent tough-going; even with RWS decks we're told we need to include this or that in our readings.

This is precisely why I enjoy reading with TdM decks. They are different, and require (in my opinion) a different approach.