Reversed Meanings in General

headincloud

A reversed card carries the 2 polar opposite extremes of the upright energy, for example 4P is penny pinching where as the rev would be extreme overspending or an extreme miser. I think of a triangle where the tip is the upright connotation and the rx are the poles at the bottom.

Barleywine

A reversed card carries the 2 polar opposite extremes of the upright energy, for example 4P is penny pinching where as the rev would be extreme overspending or an extreme miser. I think of a triangle where the tip is the upright connotation and the rx are the poles at the bottom.

I agree that the polar extremes are always present as two of the possible interpretations, but I seldom see them that way in an actual reading, where they function more as a "sliding scale" that is context-sensitive. It isn't so much "You aren't going to get what you want" as it is "What you're going to get may not be what you expect." There is a wide range of subtlety between the two. Since the base is the broadest part of a triangle, your model seems to allow for some interpolation.

headincloud

I agree that the polar extremes are always present as two of the possible interpretations, but I seldom see them that way in an actual reading, where they function more as a "sliding scale" that is context-sensitive. It isn't so much "You aren't going to get what you want" as it is "What you're going to get may not be what you expect." There is a wide range of subtlety between the two. Since the base is the broadest part of a triangle, your model seems to allow for some interpolation.

Before we can gauge exactly where on the scale the interpretation lies we need to be able to polarize between the 2 basic points or possible interpretations first, if we can't read that then how do we gauge exactly where it lies on the scale between the poles. Basics first, nuances or finer detail second. Maths, science and interpolation are not required in order to read tarot.

I don't know what card you're referring to in your example.

Barleywine

Before we can gauge exactly where on the scale the interpretation lies we need to be able to polarize between the 2 basic points or possible interpretations first, if we can't read that then how do we gauge exactly where it lies on the scale between the poles. Basics first, nuances or finer detail second. Maths, science and interpolation are not required in order to read tarot.

I don't know what card you're referring to in your example.

I was trying to envision the triangle you mentioned, assuming that the reversed meaning is represented by the two bottom points if the topmost point represents the upright meaning. I was trying to figure out how you interpolate between those two bottom points, since they imply a duality of meaning. The triangle provides three basic points, not two. Maybe it's just a misunderstanding in terms.

I have no problem with not "needing" math or interpolation to read tarot, but they can add tremendously to the range and depth of interpretation. Some people thrive on the nuances they provide, others don't bother. I don't think you'll get much argument here suggesting that the ways I apply them are inappropriate.

CoffeeBlood

Do you feel some decks [or cards] require a reversed meaning as well?

i feel some decks or cards are a bit too positive, and to balance them out, the reader should consider the reversed meaning as well [like JUSTICE or WHEEL of FORTUNE]. Some decks are too dark even in the straight position, and the reversed would bring some positivity onto them.

many years back, i thought the reversed meaning was 'overdoing' the reading. now, i'm not so sure anymore.

Barleywine

Do you feel some decks [or cards] require a reversed meaning as well?

i feel some decks or cards are a bit too positive, and to balance them out, the reader should consider the reversed meaning as well [like JUSTICE or WHEEL of FORTUNE]. Some decks are too dark even in the straight position, and the reversed would bring some positivity onto them.

many years back, i thought the reversed meaning was 'overdoing' the reading. now, i'm not so sure anymore.

Regardless of orientation, I consider every card to embody a spectrum of meanings, from more-or-less positive or negative to something approaching the opposite extreme (although some are certainly more narrowly bounded in this regard than others). Part of the fun is in trying to pin down the negatives of, say, the Sun or the positives of the Tower within the context of the reading. Reversal provides a kind of short-cut for doing this.

To quote Corrine Kenner from Tarot and Astrology, reversal doesn't change a card's meaning, it just "puts a different spin" on it and changes our perspective toward what it signifies. It's more a matter of how we experience the card's effect than any undoing of its inherent nature; "redirection" is one general way to look at it. I've taken to thinking of it as a "Hanged Man moment" for whatever card is involved, implying a sacrifice of time and initiative as the energy finds its outlet. Exploring the various ways this outlet might be achieved was the goal of my original post.

ETA: By the way, my current version of the original list has grown and changed significantly beyond the first one, and I haven't kept up with changes in this thread. Since it's probably 99% done now, I'm attaching it.

Attachments

• Reversed Meanings in General Updated.pdf
    54.4 KB · Views: 238

Thoughtful

Thanks Barleywine for this thread it's very interesting. l have never worked with reversals and always thought the uprights could say it all, but l am inclined now to give reversals a try to see if l am missing out on further relevant information.
Your original post was so packed with info it has really fired me up.

To get reversals do you halve the deck or do you just shuffle a few in.

Barleywine

Thanks Barleywine for this thread it's very interesting. l have never worked with reversals and always thought the uprights could say it all, but l am inclined now to give reversals a try to see if l am missing out on further relevant information.
Your original post was so packed with info it has really fired me up.

To get reversals do you halve the deck or do you just shuffle a few in.

Whenever I randomize my decks before a reading by dealing the cards into seven piles, I turn approximately half of the piles upside-down before reassembling the deck, then I shuffle overhand a few times to further mix them up. Then my clients put there own shuffle on it; some even flip-flop the cards to personalize the orientation if I mention it. This has worked well.

Thoughtful

Thanks so much l am quite looking forward to trying the reversals, something l never thought necessary. l will use your method of randomising the cards and see how it goes.