Opinion On Using Reversals For Thoth

Lillie

ravenest said:
Ohhhh?

And I suppose if Crowley told you to jump off a bridge you would? Or if Crowley asked you to be a Tantra slave you would? Or if Crowley said to go on holidays in Mexico and eat magic mushies, or get pulled around India in a gilt carriage, or eat at the best restraunts in London, or snort 1/2 oz of coke, you'd just do that too??? ;)

In orcder the answers are .

1. No, that's just stupid.
Oh, I could tell you a terrible story about a bloke who jumped of a bridge. The tide was out, and he got stuck in the mud and just had to stay there till the tide came in.
Then he died.

2. Umm, maybe. How old is Crowley at this point in time? the younger he is the more likely I am to say yes.

3. Yes. Wouldn't you?

4. Too right I would.

5. Yeah, maybe.

6. No. I can't stand coke, it gets right up my nose.

:D

RedKite

Hiya,
I've never really used reversals in my tarot studies, the cards the right way up always seemed to have an answer for everything without needing the reversals (If that makes sense!)

Since using the Thoth for a few years the reversals have seemed even more unecessary, not to mention the fact that you can see if the card is reversed before you draw it due to the cross on the back!

However I have on occasion found that totally unexpectedly, one of my cards will reverse itself. I've no idea how as I always shuffle them the right way up! And in this case I do tend to consider the possibility of a reverse meaning as it often feels like my cards are trying to tell me something!

:)

Lillie

I have to agree.

I always do keep mine the right way up. and shuffle in a way that keeps them like that.

So if one does get upside down (and it does happen, but I don't know how) then I do give it some significance.

But I don't have fixed 'reversal meanings' for these situations.

I just see what it seems to mean on an ad hoc basis.

cheekyinchworm

Lillie said:
In orcder the answers are .

1. No, that's just stupid.
Oh, I could tell you a terrible story about a bloke who jumped of a bridge. The tide was out, and he got stuck in the mud and just had to stay there till the tide came in.
Then he died.

2. Umm, maybe. How old is Crowley at this point in time? the younger he is the more likely I am to say yes.

3. Yes. Wouldn't you?

4. Too right I would.

5. Yeah, maybe.

6. No. I can't stand coke, it gets right up my nose.

Lillie, you are just too cool! I LOVED this post!!! This is the best response imaginable to ravenests post. So funny, so friendly, so enjoyable. I'm still laughing. Bravo!

cherryberry

ahh the thoth, since i have it I had weired readings and experiences while reading. Example yesterday (got to note that I usually LOVE reversals, the make sense for me and are easy to read usually)

Though, I didnt had many reversed card with the Thoth since I bought it a few weeks ago. But whenever I did, just as a reflex I turned them upright and the readings were right on.

Yesterday I had one again, again my initial reflex was to turn it up, but then I thought - naah, I read with each other deck the RX cards as to go back to the previous one in the suit and make the connection - but mny head went blank, when I tried to picture the previous card, so I looked for it in the deck and once I found it - it almost screamed at me - I am not relevant, look at the card I actually gave you!! :D ahh my Thoth, is sometimes a bit rough to me :D

It was an e-mail reading and I havent yet received feedback, but I will closely watch to see, if I shoudl have gone back to the previous one.

So, for me - my Thoth doesnt care for reversals and my preference of them if I read with the Thoth it will not allow me to read with RX.

Cheeky thing! :p I thought about fighting it, thought: How dare you, I am the reader your just a bunch of pretty pictures, I say what goes!! But nah - didnt work, I literally went blank until I put the card away and turned the reversed one up!

My readings with the thoth are often a weired trip OR I am just going nuts and actually believe my deck 'speaks' with me......

Naahh, I am the Queen of Swords *nods frantically* its b%*@shit that my deck speaks with me, I AM going nuts!!

Blue Fury

Hey Chris, Thoth was my first deck and I have had it for many years, and over that time I have read with it in all manners of ways (I did use reversals at one stage but have long come to realise that this is unnecessary for the way I relate to Thoth now). I have encountered friends who have dabbled with Thoth fleetingly, only to withdraw with an overwhelming sense of dis-satisfaction because they expect a similar experience to using a Rider-Waite or clone deck and find this is not the case. I sincerely believe this is because Thoth works best if used in the way it is designed to be used, and in order to maximise your relationship with the cards (even more so with the pip cards) some knowledge of astrology (and I dont mean the mass media daily horoscope crap here) is essential. Even if you think it is hooey, the creator of the deck did not. For what it's worth, my enjoyment and understanding of tarot increased fourfold as I discovered my interest in other facets of tarot divination such as numerology and astrology. To a certain extent I can empathise with your laziness in not wanting to pursue more study before enjoying your deck, but ultimately you will find the rewards may inspire you to achieve a greater fascination and appreciation of this profound and beautiful deck. Fury x

Skydancer

~ ~ ~ to CherryBerry ~ ~ ~

You must be my long lost twin!!

Naahh, I am the Queen of Swords *nods frantically* its b%*@shit that my deck speaks with me, I AM going nuts!!

I have been the Queen of Swords for oh so many years! :D
My Thoth arrived yesterday, and a book but not the "original" book which I will probably acquire at some point. Go slow, my mind/cards/voice in me head says.
Slow? Me? Me, the fool who jumps in (or off) with both feet??
I have been reading this thread for days now - and others here in THoth - knowing that my new step in tarot was approaching.

I do not use reversals - always had trouble relating to them (over 10 yrs.) because, I'm thinking, the cards speak just fine the way they are. Reversals, delays, shadow sides ... etc. are all there in the layout. And in our minds.

That saying "It's all in your mind" comes to ... mind. More truth in that than people think.

*S*

RedKite

cherryberry said:
it almost screamed at me - I am not relevant, look at the card I actually gave you!! :D ahh my Thoth, is sometimes a bit rough to me :D

LOL! I totally agree, my Thoth deck is so harsh with me! But I kind of like it to be, it only ever gives honest, no shit answers.
If the temptation has ever come over me to swap or change a card, I've always had a slap on the wrist.

I wonder if thats why people feel this deck is 'dark'. I certainly shows me stuff I dont always want to hear!

cherryberry

Skydancer said:
~ ~ ~ to CherryBerry ~ ~ ~

You must be my long lost twin!!

There you are Skydancer!! I knew you were out there somewhere!! :D

Skydancer said:
~
I have been the Queen of Swords for oh so many years! :D
My Thoth arrived yesterday, and a book but not the "original" book which I will probably acquire at some point. Go slow, my mind/cards/voice in me head says.
Slow? Me? Me, the fool who jumps in (or off) with both feet??
I have been reading this thread for days now - and others here in THoth - knowing that my new step in tarot was approaching.
I hear ya! Same for me, patience - always a challenge, hesitant people - cant understand it!! You think about an issue, ok take a bit of time to make up your mind but then - full speed ahead, descision is made so no need to wait around!!!
I have gotten better though :) I used to be pretty apruppt with hesitant bunnies, but I finally 'got' that we are not all Queen of Swords :D and thats a good thing ;)

Skydancer said:
I do not use reversals - always had trouble relating to them (over 10 yrs.) because, I'm thinking, the cards speak just fine the way they are. Reversals, delays, shadow sides ... etc. are all there in the layout. And in our minds.
nah, I love reversals! Before I learned about the 'go to the previous card' thing, I never used it, the readings were still relevant, but with that new layer, it just gives another spin on things. I am anyway of teh opinion, that oen person cannot possibly give all teh answers 'hidden' in that one spread...but thats another discussion ;)

Skydancer said:
That saying "It's all in your mind" comes to ... mind. More truth in that than people think.

*S*

wise words Sky :D, wise words!!

cherryberry

RedKite said:
cherryberry said:
it almost screamed at me - I am not relevant, look at the card I actually gave you!! :D ahh my Thoth, is sometimes a bit rough to me :D

LOL! I totally agree, my Thoth deck is so harsh with me! But I kind of like it to be, it only ever gives honest, no shit answers.
If the temptation has ever come over me to swap or change a card, I've always had a slap on the wrist.

I wonder if thats why people feel this deck is 'dark'. I certainly shows me stuff I dont always want to hear!

hihi :D glad other experience the same, I was really surprised by it at first, still am :D

But good theorie, I think it is teh reason why people think its dark - I have no idea about the astrologie aspect, kaballah,....not much previous knowledge about crowley and so on before I purchased it - and still the readings worked very well so far. Its like a trip :D

I remember I viewed it once ages ago and hated it, and then suddenly stumbled across it one day, fell in love and am hooked since then ;)

There is something 'weired' about it, loads of diff reactions to loads of diff people :D

Buts it all good, so suedeheadsmiths, watch out might be sooner than you think that your deck 'speaks' to you re reversals and other stuff too :D

Beware :D :D