Mary El Tarot - Knight of Cups

Bat Chicken

http://www.mary-el.com/cups3.html

Air of Water. I start to think of clouds and yet this Knight holds a chalice that looks like it is made from the leaf of a lily pad that from it, rises the pink lotus flower (the rising of the soul - Buddha), but it is fed by the green eye over his heart that seems to bleed for it. His armour is covered in symbols that seem to cover the elements, fish, wings, suns, tree roots, the zodiac and as I look more closely, I realize the eye is above a pyramid. The all seeing Eye. When thinking about the traditional meaning of this card, I am inclined to think that in this position it is the Knight’s ability to see into the hearts or emotions of others. I would go so far as to read it in combination with the lotus as compassion.

Flaxen

I agree, the eye on the breast plate is right over the heart. This is a knight who 'sees' with his heart.

There is also something quite alchemical in the colours - the red, white and gold.

White relates to mercury and the moon, red to sulphur and mars and gold to the sun. Gold is the ultimate aim in alchemy - transforming the base soul into its highest expression. Is this knight beginning to meld those energies? Is he on the quest for the Holy Grail/Philosopher's Stone? The red in the cup makes me think of the 'blood of Christ'.

There is a strong current of compassion here. Like you said, the lotus is a common symbol in Buddhism and Christ also taught a message of compassion - 'love your neighbour as yourself'.

cSpaceDiva

The Knight of Cups is someone who will pour his heart out, and at the same time he remains guarded by wearing armor. The recurrent green eye placed over his heart represents a chink in the armor, his vulnerability, but also his passion. His blood spills into the leaves cupped in his hands, where from his love, a flower grows. The knight's demeanor is one of humility.

The armor is covered with a myriad of symbols. I think sometimes we hide behind symbols and what they represent - systems, intellectualism, complexity - in fear of exposing the vulnerabilities that are necessary in order to open our hearts, share our passions, and allow our love to grow.

The first time I looked at this I could not figure out what the tiny feet by his shoulders were supposed to be. Later I did find the arms and heads those feet belong to on the knight's forearms :D

cSpaceDiva

I've just read on Marie's blog that the Knight of Cups has 13 fingers that are the source of the blood. I hadn't noticed that before. She doesn't provide an explanation for the number and I'm curious what it could represent. 13 Knights of the Round Table? Jesus and the Apostles? 13 menstrual cycles in a year (it is blood)? Death? With the Knights being 12 and the Queens being 13 I don't think it is random.