Book depository order

gregory

WELL - postal services have a lot to do with it too (I sent a package internationally - well, three the same day, actually - it's about 3 weeks now) - the one to the US arrived faster than the one within the UK and the third hasn't arrived yet.

In the UK amazon has a nasty habit of using Hermes for Prime. BAD idea - it wasn't Prime, but my printer had 24 hour delivery on it and was with Hermes - and has never arrived.

Amberjune

I would like to add that BD does give an estimate for every item on how many days it will take for said item to be dispatched, and also whether or not an item is currently available.
As I am not overly concerned with delivery dates, I cannot speak to the accuracy of these dispatch dates.

SabriSuh

I have to comment on this, seriously.., I envy all of you because you are upset about a 2 week wait to get something. I live in Chile, you know... the end of the world, South America, next to Argentina, the longest country of the world and all of that. Well, this means, that waiting for a BD it is at least a month, 3 weeks feels like making a party for the postal office, and I only worry about an order 2 months after sent and not received.
I recently started to use Amazon to do some shopping, it is faster, I just got the Mary El Tarot in two weeks, I was honestly amazed. But shipping costs, taxes and more makes it not so worth it, I have to compare between both sites before placing an order.
Waiting for me it is normal, Chilean providers bring some few things and at prices that are not worth it at all. I guess that being from the third world, you just get used to wait and be patient.
I love BD customers service, and maybe is because of where I live, but here, companies never take responsibility on anything they do, on the other hand BD answers fast and solves any situation you are facing. I recommend everyone BD, especially if they are fluent in English, you can get access to many more things and cheaper than in Spanish.
I love to wait, forget what I ordered and find in my PO BOX a "surprise", by the time they arrived I already payed my credit card bill, so it feels like a present.
Well, those were my two cents, just a different perspective for the end of the world [emoji1071]

Le Fanu

Yes, SabriSuh - I know exactly where you're coming from. Remember the days when we had to order from shops too and wait weeks and pay all the surcharges? I remember living in Brazil and I would have done anything to get decks delivered to my door - like, within a month or so and not have the intermediary pile a personal profit on it.

It is a little <cough> tantrum-y. The more you give people, the more dissatisfied they tend to be...

Onion Budgie

I remember the good old days of mail order, before the internet was even a thing, where the golden rule was "Please allow 28 days for delivery" -- and we accepted that, because it was the norm.

We're spoiled now, by comparison. Even when companies such as BD take on average three days before shipping our order (from my experience with them). Not everything has to happen at warp speed. :D

gregory

Yes, SabriSuh - I know exactly where you're coming from. Remember the days when we had to order from shops too and wait weeks and pay all the surcharges? I remember living in Brazil and I would have done anything to get decks delivered to my door - like, within a month or so and not have the intermediary pile a personal profit on it.

It is a little <cough> tantrum-y. The more you give people, the more dissatisfied they tend to be...

I remember the good old days of mail order, before the internet was even a thing, where the golden rule was "Please allow 28 days for delivery" -- and we accepted that, because it was the norm.

We're spoiled now, by comparison. Even when companies such as BD take on average three days before shipping our order (from my experience with them). Not everything has to happen at warp speed. :D
YES to both these. And Lord - I'm 72; if anyone hasn't the TIME to wait, that would be me... :D

Mythtaken

I remember the good old days of mail order, ... Not everything has to happen at warp speed. :D

I was thinking about this very thing just the other day. Time was, ordering something was exciting in itself. Sending off a paper form in an envelope with a stamp, then eventually receiving things kind of by surprise some weeks later.

Back when I was a kid at summer camp, I needed a replacement sleeping bag. (my old one was fit for dozing in somebody's carpeted living room, not so great at enduring runoff through the tent, LOL!) Dad wasn't comfortable ordering something from L.L. Bean and having them send it to me, so he bought some awful thing at a local store and mailed it himself. How times change.

olivia1

Maybe the post office messed up. The packaging had a usps tracker but I didn't bother to check the details just like BD didn't bother to even tell me it was a tracked package nor did they bother to send me tracking info. I ordered a lenormand from a kind lady the next state over a few days ago. She sent me the tracking details and it was estimated to arrive this coming Monday. That's tomorrow... it arrived yesterday.

the package that I received today was pristine. Unlike the damaged one from book depository. Maybe It's the post office who dropped the ball or maybe it was BD. I don't know and I don't care to order again from them so I'll never find out. I didn't really save by going via BD anyway but I would've gladly paid up to $10 extra for an undamaged item that arrives in a timely manner. Maybe others, who live in certain countries, have no choice but to wait. However, I have options and Bd won't ever be one of them ever again. Am I being unfair? Maybe yes maybe no but There are much better options out there for me so I can't be bothered...

olivia1

I agree to an extent. I can say from experience that it does seem like if you're willing to keep giving and accommodating, customers do get accustomed to it. Customers work for their money though. They deserve to be happy. I work at a Forbes rated establishment. We were named "one of the best resorts in the world" by Forbes Travel Guide and we are super obsessed with perfection. We don't want to be "good enough." we want to be the best. When it comes to our service, we want to be the best overall and that includes being the fastest. So it's hard for me to understand why a company wouldn't strive to be the best in their sector.

If I was the one running BD and I learned that a customer had the experience that I did, I would be appalled and immediately be trying to do damage control. I would want to know why the heck it took so long and why was the package damaged? Was it us? Did usps mess up? If it was usps then I'd look into using ups, etc. of course, BD isn't trying to attract the clientele we are trying to attract, but I'd still care because every unhappy customer I lose is one new customer for someone else. That's just business. If you don't give a customer with options what they want, they'll simply go to someone else that is willing. One customer may not matter. They'll only tell God knows how many people about their bad experience but it might not do much damage. Keep it up and eventually there Wont be any customers.

Amberjune

I don't know and I don't care to order again from them so I'll never find out. I didn't really save by going via BD anyway but I would've gladly paid up to $10 extra for an undamaged item that arrives in a timely manner. Maybe others, who live in certain countries, have no choice but to wait. However, I have options and Bd won't ever be one of them ever again. Am I being unfair? Maybe yes maybe no but There are much better options out there for me so I can't be bothered...

I really struggle to understand your frustration, but recognize that we all have different triggers and things that upset us and different ways of dealing with it.