Dinosaur tarot

Kees

Wow, thank you for the comments!

@Reyan: I did a lot of digging around before deciding on landscape and found two decks that are all landscape, The Wolf Pack Tarot and Tarot of the Curious East, if you'd like to look at them. I particularly like the Curious East aesthetic, even if it's not one I'll be following. :) I do think animal decks can have their drawbacks, particularly when talking about very human cards like the Hierophant and Justice (or, at least, those are the cards I've had to spend the most time working on an image for), but I do hope my style will help convey what needs to be shown, and as you said I will have a lot of subjects to work with and do love utilizing color. Dinosaur naming conventions have been especially helpful in choosing what dino will go on which card.

@sparklingRaven: I certainly plan on following through! At the very least I think I can manage a majors deck with the notes I have right now, but I am keeping my mind open for some solid suits ideas. I'm glad to meet another person as terrifically interested in them and in tarot as I am, haha.

I hadn't thought about time periods for the suits, but that's something I'll have to sniff around in. The broad dinosaur types are certainly candidates (I especially think things like maniraptors would make good swords, considering their intelligence, speed, and famous killing claws). I'm also teasing with the idea of making Cups into Eggs, given that they're both vaguely circular/spherical vessels which hold liquid, and I think Eggs make a good symbol of emotion (and shattered eggs for a very striking Five of Cups card). I'm a little nervous as a relative newbie at this messing too much with the deck structure though, haha.

@GlitterNova: Ohh, releasing it with Jurassic World is a good idea haha, at least the Majors. I definitely understand why people might see it as a novelty deck, especially with the changes I've put into it, but they might be underestimating how much I care about dinosaurs :joke: I just hope it's accessible for people who approach it from all sorts of angles.

It still has a lot of work left, but here is my Sun card right now. http://i.imgur.com/jOE9btT.png I've got plans for the background to make it more engaging/lively, but have been fiddling with the execution so right now it's pretty boring. I'm pretty happy with the Eodromaeus so far though (as the "dawn runner" and one of the earliest dinosaurs, he seemed like a good candidate for this card).

Kees

I realize I left this sitting for a while--it was not from lack of interest, I assure you! I have had to keep cycling out my art projects in order to balance work that was profitable with work that I enjoyed.

Since last posting, I've finished both the Sun and the Devil cards:

http://36.media.tumblr.com/8251a2e259e78471ebaacb0be742a9f8/tumblr_nhqf7pQO8L1qlj1ngo1_500.png

http://40.media.tumblr.com/045a6c205ea4aba1121169734436e3c5/tumblr_nilraxaUJE1qlj1ngo1_500.png

I already feel like I want to redo the Sun card with some improved painting, but I've told myself I shan't redo anything until I finish the rest of the majors first or else I'll never get anything done, haha.

I've yet to decide how (or if) I want to incorporate text on the images, so they're going to be plain illustrations for right now.

I have another art project to work on this week but next week I'm hoping to do another card--considering either the Wheel or the Hanged Man(iraptor).

LupaGreenwolf

My inner six year old is pleased. My nerdy self is also pleased. And I really like your artwork!

Also, I saw your last couple of pics were Tumblr based--what's your username there, if you don't mind me asking?

rylla

Sweet and expressive. I love your cards!

Kees

Hi! Thank you for the comments.

@LupaGreenwolf: I'm glad I'm appealing to the same sides of people that had me decide to work on this in the first place. ;) You can certainly have my tumblr--it's etosaurus.tumblr.com--although I will have to admit that it is a rather scattered collection of things that appeal to me rather than focusing on just art or tarot. I do also have a tarot blog at kiwi-tarot.tumblr.com which I post on infrequently to record my thoughts or readings.

I had a new idea for my Death card last week, so depending on how commission work treats me I hope to have another card up sometime next week.:)

seven stars

I once had a customer who wanted a custom card-back & was new to Tarot, but didn't know what to get. I asked him what he was into & oddly enough he said Triceratops. I thought that was awesome & worked him up all sorts of cardbacks for what I called the Tricero-Tarot or Dino-Deck hahaha....anyway, he ended up just getting something plain. I told him at the time he'd be the only one I knew of with a Tricero-Tarot deck but alas.

Attachments

• 4 vintage triceratops.jpg
    4 vintage triceratops.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 281

rylla

I once had a customer who wanted a custom card-back & was new to Tarot, but didn't know what to get. I asked him what he was into & oddly enough he said Triceratops. I thought that was awesome & worked him up all sorts of cardbacks for what I called the Tricero-Tarot or Dino-Deck hahaha....anyway, he ended up just getting something plain. I told him at the time he'd be the only one I knew of with a Tricero-Tarot deck but alas.

These are awesome seven stars!

Pachee

Those are amazing! I just googled dinosaur tarot to buy for my manfriend and didn't find anything, but I came upon this thread. (thanks hudsongray for that comic rec! I hope he doesn't already have it...). I'm gonna keep watch and admire the beautiful images you come up with. :) And so I know when it'll be available :D I'll probably show him anyway, so cooool.