Favorite Thoth Card & Why?

ravenest

But then again I could quite happily be The Universe and be floating in space dissolving into nothingness.

Aeon418

My favorite for the vibe it conveys is probably the Hierophant. It's refreshingly different from the starchy pontiffs depicted in other decks, less dogmatic, more mystical.

And how many other priests do you know that use a dildo for a sceptre? That guy certainly has a sense of humour. :laugh:

Tribus Annulis Regna Olisbon. (Liber 418)

"Rule the olisbos with three rings."

Tarot Orat

Believe it or not, the 7 of Cups - I don't find it pleasant, with that swampy slimy bilious-green imagery, but it challenges me....it even causes an actual physical reaction. Namely, that I start feeling nauseous...but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

There's a Van Gogh painting, "The Night Cafe," that gives me a similar feeling - dizzy and nauseous - but I love it. I used to stand in front of it in the art gallery, examining it, feeling its power, till I wanted to throw up. (So maybe I'm just wired a little strangely when it comes to unsettling art, lol.)

Anything that affects me so viscerally has a lot of power, and gives me a lot to think about. And almost no other Tarot card can do that to me.

Chiska

Thanks for posting Tarot Orat! That is what this thread is about - I suppose using the word "Favorite" is what set the tone for "aesthetics," but I meant favorite in the context of meaningful. Perhaps, next time, I should be more clear!

Your description of the 7 Cups is really vivid. The Thoth 7 Cups is, in my opinion, the most effective of all the 7 Cups I have viewed.

Richard

Where the hell is Temperance? Let's see, Trump XIV, hmmm....... oh, here it is. But it's called Art! Doesn't look like moderation to me. How can fooling around with fire and water be artistic or moderate?

Seriously, though, it is my favorite card. It represents the Great Work in a way that can't be misunderstood. (Or can it? :rolleyes:)

Marie-Bernard

Queen of Wands and Princess of Discs are my favorites to look at. I like the Lovers for the same reason LRichard likes Art - the symbolism is so straightforward and as a bonus I can actually see the Hermit, which I can't on his own card - he looks like a squid on top of a red mountain. Death 'cause I have a tattoo that reads, "We Dance with Death," and look, there he is, dancing away.