Was the TdM created for the purposes of divination?

Yelell

I always assumed not, that it was intended for game playing but became used for divination in the same way regular playing cards are now. However, some sites and books I've been seeing say yes, some say no.

nuttyprofessor

Our species started also out as monkeys.

Zephyros

Well... the official answer is a definite no, it was not used for divination at the beginning. Many authors posit a secret tradition that imbued the original gaming decks with deeper meaning. However, as far as I know, no real evidence has come to light that would support that.

kwaw

Definitely

Not

Kwaw

Aunty Anthea

Not exactly sure what my Grandmother used it for but she was a witch :joke:

Yelell

Our species started also out as monkeys.

2fd1521ff9226b4a92bec7c1242be47d.jpg

Richard

It was certainly used for a card game, but there is no historical evidence that it was designed for divination. Therefore, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, it is generally assumed that it was designed as a game deck. Personally, I suspect that the design of the Trumps may have (consciously or unconsciously) involved considerations which are not necessarily related either to a card game or to divination.

Padma

Good answer, Richard. I always thought the design of the trumps was somehow a political and religious commentary of the times...figures that meant something to their world views, and used as game pieces but only in the sense that Kings or Bishops (e.g.) are used in chess - in fact, the whole deck rather reminds me of an amped up chess game, with the minors being pawns.

It may even be the world's first attempt at the game "Civilization" or Panzerblitz... :bugeyed: