Pearls of Widsom - Knight of Cups

Rede Seeker

Central to this card is the dirt path, bordered with greenery, flowers dot the landscape. A sleeping Earth Spirit forms the horizon. The foreground looks to be tall grass with flowers. A mounted Knight is on the path. His horse is ready to move on. The Knight holds up a gold cup and salutes two girls standing on the path some distance away. They each old a gold cup and salute the mounted Knight. All three cups are overflowing with crystal-blue liquid. The overflow from the girls' cups fall on the ground before them. The Knight's cup overflows and forms a large puddle on the path beneath his/her horse's feet. The water splashes on the ground. There are Tree Spirits embracing on the right-hand side. There are leaves in the branches. The sun is partly hidden in the branches.

The Knight wears gold leggings, gloves, and helmet. His shield is gold with a red heart in the center and seven white pearls circling the heart. The Knight's helmet is topped with a red heart. The horse's livery has hearts and pearls adorning the lower edges. The Knight's cloak is red. His/her shirt is blue with red hearts in a row along the sleve. The gold cup also has a red heart pattern on it.

The girls in the distance are blonde wearing pink dreses - they look young. Behind them is a structure, like a high gate. The lentel is decorated with wreathes and flowers. There are three gold streamers fluttering from it.

The top border holds what could be two serpents twined together. It could also be one serpent with two heads. Both heads wear a heart and pearl crown. Crystal-blue liquid flows from each mouth and down the sides of the card. The stream on the left side of the card flows over a gold shield similar to the one the Knight holds. The stream fills a gold cup at the base of the card. The cup overflows into a river at the very bottom of the card. There is a yellow flower resting against this cup. The stream on the right side of the card flows over another gold shield and over a helmet, identical to the one the Knight wears. There is a rose resting against it. The crystal-blue stream flows into the river at the bottom of the card.

A closer look at the Earth Spirit on the horizon shows two streams of the same crystal-blue liquid flowing over her shoulder and head. I can't see where those streams lead.

The Rune, Gebo, is marked on the right hand border. Gebo is the Rune of generosity. The art of Giving involves the gift, the giver, and the one(s) to whom the gift is given. In Pre-Christian Nordic cultures, gift giving wove bonds of friendship. There are several stanzas in the Havamal associated with gift giving:

Stanza 39

I never found a generous man
who was so free with his food,
that he would turn it down, or so generous
as to loath a gift were it given.

Stanza 42

A man shall ever be a friend to his friends
and give gift for gift,
laughter for laughter,
but give lies for lies.

Stanza 48

He who gives gladly lives the best life,
and seldom has sorrow.
But the unwise suspect all
and always pine for gifts.

Stanza 47 speaks more to the imagery I see in the Knight of Cups

When I was young, I once traveled alone
and lost my way.
I thought myself rich when I found another,
man rejoices in man.

The Knight saluting the girls and their salute in return remind me of the importance of receiving graciously as well as giving with open heart.

The Knight is on a mission. His trail is marked as he passes through by the refreshing energy he brings with him. He rides alone on his quest, but he touches the lives of the people he encounters.

Any thoughts on the Tree Spirits/Lovers?

Marli

The Tree Spirits

Again, another lovely description RS...

Just to add on a little to what you said, it seems to me as though rather than the Knight merely passing through on his way to somewhere, I see him as actually going to visit the girls who are toasting him in the distance, as though he was expected, hence the decorated entrance way to welcome his arrival. And yes, the path is well worn, as though the road has been travelled many times before, perhaps by this same knight, perhaps this is the knights family that he/she is coming home to visit.

When one looks closely at the faces of both the nature spirit in the background as well as the tree spirits entwined in the foreground, they all seem to relay the same feeling... one of peace and contentment... as though everything is exactly as it should be.

And yes, I absolutely agree that :

"The Knight saluting the girls and their salute in return remind me of the importance of receiving graciously as well as giving with open heart."

but I would like to say giving and receiving with and open heart, for not only is he toasting, but being toasted as well.

I also liked the notion of him touching the lives of the people he comes into contact with in a memorable positive way.