Your First Tarot Book(s)?

jolie_amethyst

"Tarot for Yourself" :) I went for a reading and had a strong feeling that it was a filtered advice that I was getting and not an actual reading. So I was determined to find out for myself what the cards were actually saying :) Wish I had bought the physical book though. E book can be a bit tricky to use when learning something instructional on them :)

Ah, now see, I've actually become more comfortable using ebooks for learning and reference. I hate trying to hold a book open with one hand and take notes with the other.

I think need to pick up Tarot for Your Self next.

jolie, I just put "Tarot Tells the Tale" on my wish list :)

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. I found it extremely useful!

The Happy Squirrel

Hey Jolie :) I decided not to get Tarot Tells the Tale. I really wish we could flip through books online in places that we choose instead of given a sample by Amazon which usually only gives us the front. I had to go through tons of reviews and tried hard to filter away other people's lenses to extrapolate what might be in the book. Not a perfect system but I get a vague idea of each book which helps. Just looking at what I can read about the book it feels a bit too wishy washy to me. But I still have it on my wish list :)

Teheuti

I think Tarot Tells the Tale is one of the best books out there for seeing how a really good and experienced reader integrates the cards to answer a question. This is the one vital area that everyone says is missing from other books, and this book does a great job explaining exactly how to get your answer.

gregory

I'm with Teheuti. I have ALL his books (I think) - and they are fantastically useful. And fun to read !

Seems to me they were - at least some of them - very cheap secondhand.

Irbisa

Well, thanks to you I now have Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom in my Kindle, ready to be read :).

BlitheNine

My firsts

Pictorial Key to the Tarot by Arthur Edward Waite

Living the Tarot by Amber Jayanti

Phenix

Another one with sneakily getting The Complete Guide to the Tarot by Eden Gray and hiding it from the parental gaze :cool:. I think I got mine from Waldenbooks with some sci fi/fantasy stuff to help hide it.

3ill.yazi

Another one for the Eden Gray. Though I think I actually first purchased Mouni Sadhu's book about the Tarot, I could not make any sense of it, so it sat unread until after I owned my first deck.

Which came in a box with two Gray books (Mastering and Revealed), as well as a third book, the hilarious The Sexual Key to the Tarot, which basically ruined the World Card for me for quite some time. :)

Now imagine me opening that under the Xmas tree with my dad when I was, oh, 16. Some good sleight of hand there.

The set was on eBay recently.

4NOisL3.jpg

blueeyetea

Tarot Unveiled: The Methods to it's Magic by Laura A Clarson

It was the only book in the store that didn't depict the RWS (which I hated from the get-go) and which the store had the accompanying deck, the Hanson-Roberts. I still have both the book and the deck.

This was in the days before you go on the internet for books and find information or groups. I was such a newbie and shy about the whole thing, that I didn't notice the store also sold deck and book sets until months later.

Dark Victory '39

That Teresa Michelsen book; Complete Tarot Reader. Got so much use out of that back section on numerology and the minors; also introduced me to my favorite spread for years which was-- crap forget what she called it -- the wheel spread, maybe? 9 cards, but with the gunas, salt, sulphur, mercury; tho she might not have called them that. Great book.