Matthews' Arthurian Tarot -- Still Used?

Parzival

Matthews' Arthurian

Interesting observations about the older and newer versions. Since I have both, I've put a black-bordered and white-bordered card side-by-side. The card is/are Taliesin,v. What a striking difference-- the black-bordered one has an icy blue-white "aura" around the seated bard, while the white-bordered has a richer violet "aura." There are animal forms in this auric mist, fish, birds, dog, hare, otter, but clearer in the new version. The bard's robe is darker green in the new version, more to the earth. The two children lower left and right are darker brown and blue in the new one. Now I try to take in the whole scene in each. To me, color is more subtle and softly radiant in the first, more bold and earthy in the second. The arch seems to pull in, like looking through a window, but to me it is a complete image, nothing left out. Some significant color-and light changes here, lighter side, shadowier side. (The earlier edition is a little larger.) I need to see more cards.

PathWalker

Differences.

There are differences between the different black-bordered versions as well though :)

Of the sets I have, the version printed by 'Element' in the box with hard back book and journal - 2002 printed - has stronger colours, as you desribe, and is also on thicker cardstock. So the face dimensions are the same, but the deck as a stack is about 1cm. thicker.

Both the other sets I have with black borders are by Thorsons - 1995 printings. I don't know what the very first Aquarian set was like in terms of colour and cardstock - anyone got one?

(anyone want to part with one! :) )

Parzival

Matthews' Arthurian

Thanks for the distinctions, Pathwalker. I used the Thorsons 1995 edition, with the Connections 2006. I do have the Element set, 2002, which you have me taking out for further exploration. Three editions! It's all Good.

PathWalker

:)

I'm thinking the Aquarian 1992 version might have been in one of the cardboard, slide-out sets - I have several other Aquarian decks of that vintage packed like that.

But I think I might need one LOL

PathWalker

Let's see what this one is . . . Aquarian Press, case is like those old cassette tape series.
The book says The Arthurian Tarot A Hallowquest Handbook, 1990, 4th printing

Blimey!
Maybe it never was in a cardboard case then? The later (1995) Thorsons was in the palstic case, I just thought maybe the earlier one was in the cardboard. Don't you love a adventure trail though? :)
Thanks Cardlady22 x

cardlady22

Sorry for the delay in adding the photo links to my previous post.. I had forgotten where the pics were stored; then had to look up my log in info. :rolleyes:

PathWalker

That is just like the earliest version I have too - but mine is later (did that make sense? LOL)

I wonder if it was always like that - maybe Gregory knows?

gregory

Got your PM !!!

I bought mine in 1990 and it is in the plastic case. Horrid thing. (the case, not the deck.)

cardlady22

;) I have a horrid reason for loving the case . . . my extended family had so many religious instruction sets housed in their shelves, that I get a thrill out of having a tarot in mine. :laugh: