Chart Reading: Step-by-Step

dadsnook2000

Minderwiz and Dadsnook2000 are opening this chart reading thread as an approach to reviewing astrological practices and, perhaps, bringing many of the list members who are relatively new or inexperienced in Astrology up to a common level. This may contribute to more discussion and sharing among our community.
*** This is how we envision this thread progressing:
1) We will use the chart of a famous person. Astrodatabank.com will be our source for chart data and biographical information.
2) There will be several phases to our group examination and comments, each lasting a week. We will complete each phase over the weekend -- both of us offering views and comments at that time. A new phase will be introduced as a new thread with a similar name to make it easy to follow the discussion.
3) At this point the following week-long phases are envisioned. Their inclusion and order may change from time to time. 3A) FIRST IMPRESSIONS; chart shape, element and hemisphere balance. 3B) SUN SIGN & HOUSE. How would you combine the likely expression of Sun in a sign and house, plus any major aspects to the ASC and MC degrees. 3C) MOON SIGN & HOUSE. How do you view the Moon's meaning and its expression through a sign and house, or any major aspect to the ASC and MC degree? 3D) SUN and MOON COMBINATION. How might the lights of the chart be expressed. We'll look at aspects, interacting house and sign dynamics, rulerships, phases, etc. 3E) MAJOR ASPECT PATTERNS. What are the strongest aspects in the chosen chart? How do the dynamics interact? 3F) OTHER CHART FACTORS. The planets and other aspects that haven't yet been brought into the discussion will be selected for focus and discussion -- based on the chosen chart.
4) As part of everyone's contribution and discussion you can also allude to a very specific sign-house or planet-aspect pattern in your chart as a means of illustrating how that combination can play out. However, we will not digress into examining individual charts a wider basis.
5) During our discussions and sharings you may use any methodology or approach to interpreting the part of the chart under discussion. This can include mid-points, phase angles, containments (which I introduced in a recent thread) or other helpful tools which you are familiar with.
*** Good luck and good sharing. Our first chart was chosen by a AT member, M-press. It is the chart for Martha Stewart, the lady that has built a business empire relative to providing home furnishings, decor choices, meal preparation and living tips. On behalf of Minderwiz and from myself, Dadsnook2000, please join us in this exploration. Dave.

Minderwiz

Can I just add to Dave's intro

Feel free to ask any questions, and raise any issue that you like regarding the interpretation. The aim really is to look at how a chart can be read in some detail, whilst still keeping it to a level that all can follow.

It's not meant as a thread for us to 'show off' but one where everyone can get a feel of putting a whole chart together, rather than looking simply at one 'aspect' of it.

I think it's going to be fun - no doubt Dave and I will have some differences of approach in places but it will be interesting to see how far we agree - which I suspect is going to be quite a lot.

Minderwiz

For those following the thread you can see Martha Stewart's chart at:

http://www.astrodatabank.com/NM/StewartMartha.htm

The chart uses the equal house system - so how interpretations may vary if we use another system is one of the things we can look at.

isthmus nekoi

Looking fwd to the discussion :)

Moongold

This is going to be really good.

I'd like to make a request, of you Dave. It is simply to break up your text a bit with paragraphs. I have a slight visual impairment and it is difficult to read chunks of dense text.

If that is possible it would be much appreciated. You have a lot to say that is worth hearing and it would be a little easier for me if the text was broken up a bit.

Many thanks

lunalafey

Minderwiz said:
Can I just add to Dave's intro

It's not meant as a thread for us to 'show off' but one where everyone can get a feel of putting a whole chart together, rather than looking simply at one 'aspect' of it.

I think it's going to be fun -

Show off!!! ? ...you two are our AT Astro Gurus!

I get overwhelmed with astrology at times.....I go away from it for a while (you may have noticed) I have felt the nagging to get back into it...maybe starting from the "beginning" will be a fresh start....looking forward to the fun....
Martha-eh? was just in K-mart a few hours ago...she wants way too much for her towles!

gloria

I get overwhelmed with astrology at times.....I go away from it for a while (you may have noticed) I have felt the nagging to get back into it...maybe starting from the "beginning" will be a fresh start....

Lunalafey these are my feelings exactly. I shall be giving it a try, but if I go quiet it will be because I shall be feeling out of my depth. Even so I shall still continue, well, try to, but on a visual level.
Gloria.

Minderwiz

Gloria and Lunalafey,

Hope you enjoy the thread - please leap in and ask questions if I or Dave post anything you don't understand or are not sure of. Even if its please post in plain English!