Recommendation for a gift deck

Charlie Brown

Hello,

I'm planning on buying a gift for a friend and wanted to ask: What RWS clone deck would you get for someone who has never used tarot but has expressed interest in a deck? I usually read for her using either my Centennial RWS or Sharman-Caselli. I thought it would be nice to get her something that was a little different from what I have.

I was thinking primarily of the Universal Tarot or the Lewellyn Classic Tarot. I also might just break down and get Ultimate Rider-Waite.

How do the Universal and Lewellyn compare? Are there any other clone decks that are good for beginners? I feel like it has to be a clone (or normal RWS) because, if she's not spending a lot of time with it, she can at least easily find books and websites that will match her cards.

Thanks

Darkmage

Universal is always a good choice. It comes in standard and pocket sizes, too.

Radiant is another good RWS choice if she doesn't care for the 'standard' USG version.

Hanson-Roberts is a RWS clone. It is 80s fantasy art in a lot of ways. It's a popular deck with my friends and clients. I also like it because it's smaller than standard decks and therefore easier for me to shuffle.

All of these are mass market and easily available.

ayuryogini

Has she expressed any interest in your decks?

Because I don't think you can go wrong with that Centennial set as a gift.

I might be a traditionalist, but I think it's a really nice deck to have; that one feels especially special. And you can get her the deck in the tin, too, so she can take it with her.
It makes a nice gift and a good deck to remember receiving as your first.

Le Fanu

Has she expressed any interest in your decks?

Because I don't think you can go wrong with that Centennial set as a gift.

I might be a traditionalist, but I think it's a really nice deck to have; that one feels especially special. And you can get her the deck in the tin, too, so she can take it with her.
It makes a nice gift and a good deck to remember receiving as your first.
I agree with this. Why give something like the Llewellyn Classic - which you never hear anyone really admire - when you have a lovely little deck in a tin, which everyone loves and which will always be a classic? It's not just the design with this one, it has a tactile, practically-sized element which would encourage anyone to want to learn how to use it!

EmpyreanKnight

If you think he will be inspired by some glamor and gold, you might consider giving him the Golden Univesal Tarot by Roberto de Angelis. Utterly mesmerizing and quite a sight to behold, it has to be seen (especially in candlelight) to be believed.

DDwarks

The Gilded tarot 100 %
It's simple and yet packs a punch.

CharlotteK

I gave the Gilded Tarot to a friend who had been using Angel cards for a decade and who was a little daunted by Tarot and some of occult / esoteric symbols and associations . She loves it and bonded with it very quickly.

That said if your friend really wants to get stuck into all the Tarot 'gubbins' something like the PCS might be a very good option. Another suggestion is the Anna K. I gave my mass market Anna K to another friend as her first deck and again, she loves it. This was the second deck I ever owned as I used the radiant Rider Waite to learn the basics then switched to Anna K to start reading with. As a beginner, it was a great deck to read with as it's very down to earth and expressive.

Darytessekhmet

Like others I suggest PCS Centennial in a tin, or full size and also Anna K.

Charlie Brown

Thanks!!

Thank you everybody. It seems that the Force is strong with the PCS. I think I'll get the tin and a book to go with it. Any thoughts on Kim Huggens' "Tarot 101"?