ANCIENT EGYPTIAN STUDY GROUP - Prince Wands

rwcarter

The Prince stands in his chariot as it is drawn through flames made from burning staves. On the lower edge of the chariot are a number of symbols. The scarab was a representation of the god Khepri, the dawning sun. Next was the god Amun/Nui (of the ogdoad), who represented hidden power (he represents air and is invisible). Then there are 6 or 7 representations of Horus the Elder, who was the daytime aspect of Horus. Finally there is Heh (also of the ogdoad) who symbolized infinity and whose responsibility it was to create the sun. The first two symbols are references to the Prince's elemental association - Air of Fire. The symbols over the various representations of Horus the Elder probably refer to stages of the sun's progress across the sky during the course of the day. Finally, Heh is separated from the other figures by a vertical line, which my be a special recognition of his importance in creating the sun, from which all else was created.

As charioteer, the Prince is a symbol for control of the passions and drives and therefore is a symbol of reason.

The wheel is an attribute of the sun god and of his earthly representatives the sun kings. It also combines the idea of the circle with the idea of movement, rotation and that which is cyclical.

The horse is the bearer of a message. Free, it symbolizes unbridled or uncontrollable passions. Yoked though, those passions are contained and controlled (as opposed to the Princess who is still learning to control them). The horse is also a symbol of power and vitality.

The yoke is a symbol of control, balance, discipline, obedience and toil. It can also represent self-discipline and subordination to spiritual principles.

The sash on the Prince's tunic carries the upward-pointing triangle that symbolizes fire. The redness of the Waas scepter also symbolizes fire. I believe there is a Uraeus on his breastplate. The Uraeus was a symbol of protection and of royalty.

The lion in the background is associated with courage, power, vitality and energy. It was a symbol of protection and was also thought to be a guardian.

The Prince doesn't seem to be rushing the chariot through the fire, but instead to be taking his time, almost as if he's immersing himself in what the fire can provide him - purification, illumination, or a new beginning. The fire doesn't seem to be burning the horses. And although the wheel appears to be consumed by fire, it doesn't look like it's being destroyed by fire.

Rodney

rwcarter

I just noticed that not only is the Prince not holding the reins to control the horses, there are no reins. So in that regard, the Prince is much like the charioteer in the Chariot who controls the animals through the force of his will.

Rodney

MeeWah

rwcarter said:
I just noticed that not only is the Prince not holding the reins to control the horses, there are no reins. So in that regard, the Prince is much like the charioteer in the Chariot who controls the animals through the force of his will.

Rodney

Yes, & evocative of the Wands element.

Also that of The Magician, whose key phrase may be said to be "I will".

Edited to add link:

http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/347/Ancient_Egyptian#76